Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headscratcher...

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Headscratcher...

This is a real headscratcher.

OK, I think we can all agree that Sean Salisbury is probably the worst sports analyst in the history of television in addition to being an attention starved wannabe/couldabeen/shouldabeen athlete. He is a veritable tool, and his schtick is tired.

Additionally, I think we've all seen Rob Dibble's work. He's a black concert T-shirt on the torso of life. If he lived in Cincinnati, he'd spend his Saturday nights at the Blue Note picking fights with anybody who didn't think he was cool. Not only that, but everytime he opens his mouth to talk about the game of baseball, something contrived comes out to start a controversy where there previously was none.

A couple of idiots, right?

Now, let's just say that when Dibble was co-hosting the Dan Patrick Radio Show (and Salisbury was the usual 3rd wheel), the show was palatable. It was never in danger of winning the radio equivalent of an Emmy or Oscar, but it was a decent way to pass the afternoon 2-3 out of 5 days a week. On the right day, with the right guest, it could hold your interest in 10 minute increments.

Fast forward a couple of years to the present. ESPN has cut ties with Dibble, and Salisbury is only on rarely as an interview. So common sense would lead one to believe that the show would be much improved, correct? Lose the idiots, gain a small measure of respectability. Guess again. The Dan Patrick Show is simply unlistenable. It's a trave-sham-ockery. It makes your ears bleed. Facts turned into opinions just for the sole purpose of talking about it longer. I mean the whole show is putting the most lame issues under a microscope for three hours...making Matterhorns out of molehills. And while I realize that's talk radio, especially sports talk radio, in a nutshell, this current version makes Jim Rome sound like Kornheiser (...EPIC!).

"Yeah, uhh, Randy Moss was silent for 10 seconds when he was asked his opinion on Norv Turner. Wow! That's unbelievable. Randy being Randy." And other such hand-wringing over trivialities for three hours. Just dreadful.

ESPN television reporters, analysts and hosts CREATING the news, so ESPN radio personalities can hash it over ad nauseum for the next 24 hours.

On the bright side, at least Joe Buck has something worthwhile to tune into every afternoon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Headscratcher...

The last time I listened to Dan Patrick he and someone else were getting into a very heated argument about whether the Lakers were Shaq's team or Kobe's team. It went on for over an hour over something so meaningless. I haven't listened since because I've generally liked Dan Patrick on SportsCenter and hated the credibility he was losing on the radio. But your take is exactly how I thought of his radio show. But I also loathed Kornheiser on the radio. He was as bad as anyone, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I couldn't agree more about ESPN--but especially ESPN Radio. I have to admit that I do enjoy The Mike & Mike Show in the mornings. But since Kornheiser left, there is a no other radio talent remaining whatsoever. Yesterday, Dan Patrick even had Rick Reilly (SI) on his show to break down the sound bites of Randy Moss' "Pause Heard Round The World" Prior to that, it was the T.O. channel.

I know that the old Hot Stove League is rather slow right now, but I would rather hear about baseball wire transactions than any of this other garbage. If it weren't for Manny Ramirez trade rumors, you would think that there was a transaction freeze in baseball if you relied upon ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    The last time I listened to Dan Patrick he and someone else were getting into a very heated argument about whether the Lakers were Shaq's team or Kobe's team. It went on for over an hour over something so meaningless. I haven't listened since because I've generally liked Dan Patrick on SportsCenter and hated the credibility he was losing on the radio. But your take is exactly how I thought of his radio show. But I also loathed Kornheiser on the radio. He was as bad as anyone, IMO.
    Really? I thought his show was incredibly good. When Tony instituted his "NO ATHLETE INTERVIEWS" policy, the listeners were the lucky beneficiaries.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    But I also loathed Kornheiser on the radio. He was as bad as anyone, IMO.
    You are now dead to me, MWM.

I still miss Kornheiser's show to this day.

I agree with all you're saying, Crash. Is it just me, or does Patrick spend each and every radio show griping about something? He has this smirky tone in his voice and sits and complains and complains. There always seems to be a dark mood hanging over the show.

And MWM, I agree with what you said. Patrick on TV is good, but his radio act makes me want to dislike him. I'll listen for a few minutes, but usually end up somewhere else.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    I still miss Kornheiser's show to this day.
    I was once a poor lost soul like yourself. But now I listen to Kornheiser every day at work through the magic of the internet:

http://www.sportstalk980.com/lineup/tonykornheiser.html

You have to give your e-mail address, but I've never been spammed (and even if I had, it's well worth it).

He's on every day from 9AM-11, and then they re-air it from 11AM-1PM. It's a Washington DC local station and lot of the talk is geared towards Redskins, Wizards, Nationals, etc., but he still has plenty of national talk and the same cast of characters: Bob Ryan, John "Junior" Feinstein, Wilbon, David Aldridge, Sam Smith, John Riggins, the movie guy, etc.

His best shows, still, are the ones that concentrate on other topics and render sports to the small niche of life that they should and do occupy. He had a very good show right after Hurricane Katrina, and sports played a small part in that. The show he did the day after Mark Felt came out as Deepthroat was absolutely phenomenal. Far and away best radio I've ever heard.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I also miss Kornheiser very much. I enjoy Dan Patrick for the most part. It gets difficult to listen to when he spends what seems like a lifetime on TO almost every day. I also enjoy his reunion with Keith Olberman, which unfortunately only happens for a short time on Fridays
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I kinda like Salisbury. :dancingco

Here's one that left me scratching my head. Was listening to Rob Dibble on XM a couple of days ago, and he was talking to Kevin Kennedy about his career ending arm injury that robbed him of the "pinpoint control" that he possessed for his entire baseball career. I don't quite remember the "pinpoint control" that he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Here's one that left me scratching my head. Was listening to Rob Dibble on XM a couple of days ago, and he was talking to Kevin Kennedy about his career ending arm injury that robbed him of the "pinpoint control" that he possessed for his entire baseball career. I don't quite remember the "pinpoint control" that he was talking about.
    When he was at his best he had pretty good control. Not pinpoint but good enough. I always thought it was too good and he should "hit the mascot" every once in a while. Just so the batters wouldn't get too comfy in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I remember a lot of "nailbiting" with Dibble all over the strikezone, late in games. I also remember hitters swinging and striking out on a lot of the fast, nasty stuff out of the strikezone. "Pinpoint control" is something that I don't remember with Dibble, course, when you throw that hard with such nasty stuff, you don't have to be "pinpoint."

I guess with Koenheiser you had to find him funny, and I didn't. What annoyed me most was his show's ad saying it was "Sports talk that will make you THINK!" I never found it at all intellectual stimulating (but I've never found any sports talk to be such). My perception was that Kornheiser's opinions all seemed to be cliches that didn't really require much introspection into the issues. For example, he's one of the "Quarterback A is better than Quarter B because his team won over the other guy's." Stuff like that annoy's me because it doesn't really dig into the assumptions underlying such an opinion. It's just accepted as truth. But I admit that I'm very biased against about 90% of all sports media these days because I think they're all pretty much brainless. I like Tom Jackson on the NFL. I think he's the best in the business.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Mr Tony is the man!

I like him for just what was stated earlier, no athletes spewing rhetoric and trying to sound more intelligent than they actually are. And he absolutely doesn't beat a topic into the ground like ESPN can. I listen everyday to him on 980 and am thrilled he came back to the radio/net just over a year ago.

I do agree with you Crash, DP has become almost unlistenable if not completely unlistenable since Dibble's departure.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?