Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from Houston?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Anyone from Houston?

here is a chance I may look at relocating in the next year or so and Houston is on the short list.

Anyone live there or have feedback on the area?

Thanks.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Anyone from Houston?

I don't live there, but I've been to Houston 3x. It's about a 4-hour drive away from me.

The traffic there is rough. It would be the main reason I would not want to move to Houston. Although being in Tonawanda, you might not mind it as much as I do if the NY Thruway in Buffalo is as bad as it was when I lived in Syracuse. (I remember some drives through the Buffalo area in good weather where the prevailing speed was over 80 mph.)

It's also a very commercial city. Houston is the largest city in the country that doesn't have zoning. There's plenty of shopping and restaurants.

Minute Maid Park is a nice place to watch a game.
    /r/reds

I've spent a fair amount of time there over the years.

It's hot. Mosquitos the size of birds. Saw a swarm of them carry off a dog, once.

Lots of traffic.

And it's very hot.

Did I mention the heat?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I lived there for three weeks before one of my girlfriends kicked me out. I think it's the only place I've found where the cost of living is cheaper than Cincinnati. However, you can plan on spending a lot of that money on air conditioning in the summer.

Great city, lots of stuff to do no matter what your age. Super medical facitlities available, cost of living not all that bad, housiing is cheap comparatively, temps a little high in the summer when coupled with the humidity, no state income tax, high school and property tax. Fishing is super both fresh and salt water. Not many places where you can play golf on New Year's day in shorts and a short sleeve golf shirt. Great sports town and facilities.

Houston is a mud hole with the worst traffic on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by TexRed View Post
    Great city, lots of stuff to do no matter what your age. Super medical facitlities available, cost of living not all that bad, housiing is cheap comparatively, temps a little high in the summer when coupled with the humidity, no state income tax, high school and property tax. Fishing is super both fresh and salt water. Not many places where you can play golf on New Year's day in shorts and a short sleeve golf shirt. Great sports town and facilities.
    What would you know about Houston? Come on.

Worth The Wait

Lived in Houston for three years, and visited regularly until my parents moved away last summer.

I hate Houston. Hate it. By far the least favorite of all the big cities I've ever been to.

The best way for me to describe it, is that it is a big city w/o a true big city atmosphere.

You are going to get traffic, annoyances, etc... in any major city, but normally, the trade-off is that you also get some very unique experiences. Houston isn't really unique. It's like a giant, spread-out, miserably hot suburb. Yes, they do have sports and concerts that you can take advantage of, and those are good things that I did enjoy from time to time. Got to see the Reds play there a whole bunch, which was a treat.

However, when it's all said and done... well, I think I made my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Lived in Houston for three years, and visited regularly until my parents moved away last summer.

I hate Houston. Hate it. By far the least favorite of all the big cities I've ever been to.

The best way for me to describe it, is that it is a big city w/o a true big city atmosphere.

You are going to get traffic, annoyances, etc... in any major city, but normally, the trade-off is that you also get some very unique experiences. Houston isn't really unique. It's like a giant, spread-out, miserably hot suburb. Yes, they do have sports and concerts that you can take advantage of, and those are good things that I did enjoy from time to time. Got to see the Reds play there a whole bunch, which was a treat.

However, when it's all said and done... well, I think I made my point.
    That about covers it for me.

I've spent a good amount of time there. Other than excellent mexican food and cheap home prices it just doesn't have much to offer IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Any more butt-cold day s like today in Buffalo and my decision becomes easier.

It's a very difficult decision. My fiance is there - very attractive job she has been at for a while. I am here (Buffalo) with a job I love and of course my son. Going there means leaving my job and family (including my son's grandparents). Financially, it is much more sensible (much more) to move to Texas, however....it's just not that easy...

I have been promised baseball season tickets to replace my hockey ones I would have to give up though...

AstroBuddy lives in Houston, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Any more butt-cold day s like today in Buffalo and my decision becomes easier.

It's a very difficult decision. My fiance is there - very attractive job she has been at for a while. I am here (Buffalo) with a job I love and of course my son. Going there means leaving my job and family (including my son's grandparents). Financially, it is much more sensible (much more) to move to Texas, however....it's just not that easy...

I have been promised baseball season tickets to replace my hockey ones I would have to give up though...
    Are you saying your son would remain in Buffalo if you moved to Houston? How old is your son?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Are you saying your son would remain in Buffalo if you moved to Houston? How old is your son?
    No. He would be with me. His mom passed away in 2003. He is 11.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    No. He would be with me. His mom passed away in 2003. He is 11.
    Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. That's sad.

A buddy I go to law school with is from Buffalo and found himself a job in Washington D.C., he couldn't be happier to be getting away from that Buffalo weather. That would be the deciding factor for me.

I've been to Houston maybe a dozen times or so over the last 10 years...I will say that as a visitor to the town, I HATE IT...then again, I don't like Cincinnati either...but I can say that Houston is very accurately described by Edskin when he says

Houston isn't really unique. It's like a giant, spread-out, miserably hot suburb.
    So, if plug n play living is your thing, Houston may be your kind of town.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?