Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth-like planet discovered

Earth-like planet discovered

http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?...sid=27&sid=ENV

Now all we need is to be able to travel at the speed of light and we could see what's up in 20 short years. Still a pretty exciting discovery if you are into that sort of thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Earth-like planet discovered

Road trip?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Road trip?
    I'll bring the nachos.
    Go Gators!

Bud will want to have Opening Day there within the next three years.

Rem

Wonder if it is PC to use more than one square of TP per *visit* there?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Al Gore invented it.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Algore says we'll all have to move there in 10 years.

“Liquid water is critical to life as we know it and because of its temperature and relative proximity, this planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extra-terrestrial life. On the treasure map of the Universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X,” added Xavier Delfosse, a member of the team from Grenoble University, France.
    Oh, sure, Xavier. Why not mark it with a Y or even a Z? Huh...huh?
    Last edited by BoydsOfSummer; 04-24-2007 at 09:26 PM.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

so, for you DC fans does that make us Earth-1 or Earth-2??

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Now that we've found them, I wonder if they've found us yet...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Stupid question (I'd make it poll, but I don't feel like starting a new thread):

The only way anyone ever sets eyes on this planet is if scientists figure out some form of faster-than-light (or light-speed) propulsion or method of travel.

Will mankind ever achieve the ability to travel faster than the speed of light? If you think so, do you think soon (say, within 100 years) or far off in the future?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Stupid question (I'd make it poll, but I don't feel like starting a new thread):

The only way anyone ever sets eyes on this planet is if scientists figure out some form of faster-than-light (or light-speed) propulsion or method of travel.

Will mankind ever achieve the ability to travel faster than the speed of light? If you think so, do you think soon (say, within 100 years) or far off in the future?
    Its just a matter of time, they do have it on the Melinium Falcon.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Time travel and faster than light travel are joined at the physics hip. Current theory hypothesizes that worm holes can be used to do both. Implementation is an exercise left up to the student

But a lot of very hairy and bleeding-edge math and physics are being argued by guys like Stephen Hawking as to whether or not this is even within light years of being theoretically possible.

I like to keep up on this stuff (and things like string theory) just to satisfy a base curiousness but I barely understand it on a very cursory level and have a very amateur knowledge of it.

Whether or not it's even possible will maybe be deduced in 25-50 years. I'd give it actually happening a 50-50 shot in the next 100 years. The problem is, the more we find out, the more we understand we really don't know anything.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Wikipedia entry on FTL Travel is pretty pessimistic about the idea.

It's a fairly easy read, BTW.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I don't know much on the theoretical end, but if you just consider the things we have today that would not have been thought possible 100 years ago, it boggles the mind to try to envision the advances 100 years in the future. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The Wikipedia entry on FTL Travel is pretty pessimistic about the idea.

It's a fairly easy read, BTW.
    So is NASA's take on it.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/re.../warpstat.html
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?