Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

GOREDSGO32

Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

Reds were moved from the AM dial in Louisville. Last year and for a long time the Reds were on 790 WKRD, unless there was another event like NASCAR or UofL games and it would be on 1080 WKLK. And this year were bumped to Talk 1080 WKLK completely. That's fine, both come in great, owned by the same company. But about a week ago they got moved competely off of AM to some station on FM called 101.7 FM - which doesn't even come close to getting reception here - at least for me. So basically the Reds are off the air, in probably the biggest city outside of Cincinnati for Reds fans. What gets me most is according to city wide radio ratings of all stations here in Louisville Talk 1080 was the WORST in ratings in the city. So its not like they were losing much being on the station.

I don't know if there is many fans on here from Louisville, but this ticks me off majorly. I don't know if I should complain to 700WLW for their affiliate screwing a major city out of their broadcast or the station here in Louisville. This just sucks bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

I agree with you completely. I believe 101.7 is based in Shelbyville so if you aren't close to there you're better off trying to pick up 700 and dealing with the static. I have a hard time believing the Bats are a bigger draw on 790 than the Reds were but what do I know?

Oh, it really irks me.

I turned on 101.7 FM, and only recieved static. 700 WLW fades in and out, along with having static. I wish it was still on 1080 AM. I think the 101.7 FM is based in Shelbyville and Louisville, so maybe that's why it sucks in Louisville.

GOREDSGO32

Is there any place we can complain? I'll find an email address or something.

Just buy the MLB radio package. $15 for the season. Granted, it won't help you if you're in the car, but it's pretty reasonable.

This is ridiculous, the Reds should do everything they can to keep themselves available over free radio in cities like Louisville.

Sad, just sad.
    Go Gators!

It really is a travesty. I contacted the Louisville Courier-Journal's TV & Radio writer (Tom Dorsey) and he mentioned that he's heard from quite a few Reds fans. WKRD made the change because they feel they can make more money off of add-space for the talk radio format that is currently on 1080 AM than they can for Reds baseball.

But I've been writing WKRD. The more people that write - the better. And no, I haven't heard back from the radio station yet. In case you want to write them too, their site is www.790wkrd.com (they own both 790 AM and 101.7).

I know what you guys are going threw!!!!

I live in the southern part of WV and have lestined to the reds all my life on 101.9 logan they showed every single game.Well about 10 years ago I went to the mailbox and got the banner and seen on the front page that Logan was droping the Reds b/c they was going to start showing Braves games:thumbdown.I was mad as fire b/c that was the only station that I could get the reds,700 WLW fades in and out, along with having static.

To this day it still puzzels me why Logan would drop the reds(a hometown team to us)and show a team like the braves that are hundreds of miles away.Its stupid!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Just buy the MLB radio package. $15 for the season. Granted, it won't help you if you're in the car, but it's pretty reasonable.
    Yeah, I have that, and as you said, it doesn't help when you are out driving around.

I can sympathize with all these people. Several years ago, we had two stations in our area who carried the Reds games. WJLS in Beckely, an AM station and WAXS in Oak Hill an FM station. WJLS took on a religious format and dropped out leaving WAXS and they dropped out ten years ago because they couldn't find advertisers. Night games were OK because we can get WLW at night here, but day games were a wash unless the wind was blowing right and we could pick up WCHS in Charleston.

That's when XM came to the rescue. I had subscribed to the MLB radio feed (and I still do jsut because for $15 you can't beat it and it gives you another option) and already had XM, so it was a godsend. Even if I didn't enjoy satellite radio (which I do), it's a bargain at +/- $12 per month to get all the games. Consider it. and those of us in the southern part of the state that Suddenlink services now get 145 games on TV.

But I find it curious that at a time when the Reds were able to get the Suddenlink system to show the Reds games, they nixed Louisville (or didn't try to find a stonger station). It just seems like they have no idea that their fan base goes far beyond the greater Cincinnati area. That's sad and alarming at the same time.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

I got it tonight.Worth the 14.95.

May I suggest that even though you're finding alternatives to the problem that it can't hurt to drop the Reds a letter and complain. They need to hear from fans when things like this happen. They clearly can't afford to lose a big market like Louisville.

Sometimes I think it's the bane of the powerful signal of WLW. Few folks know the link to their local station carrying the game. I remember being in Chillicothe and asking someone what station broadcasts the Reds - "oh, 700". Well if it was cloudy or something, you weren't going to pick up the game.

BTW, the Reds website still shows the station as WKRD-AM 790.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/schedule/cin_...affiliates.jsp

Matt700WLW might be more of a resource - this more of a IIRC post -

Most teams run their radio networks through a particular station. That station hires the announces, sells the time, etc. The Reds do it differently. They control the radio network and then they go find stations.

What's the difference? Well, big box radio companies (Clear Channel, Cumulus, CBS Radio, etc.) control the programming on those stations. The big wigs wherever they are choose the main programming. Most local items get dropped unless the ratings are noticable.

The Cleveland Browns are a Clear Channel Radio Network. Clear Channel pays the announcers, set's the affiliates, etc. Clear Channel assigns what stations get the Browns games in their region.

Another way to combat that problem, is to do what the Cardinals did and buy their own radio station. The Indians tried that with WKNR in Cleveland, but were not successful, so back they went to WTAM - 1100.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

You can always try XM as well if you need it for the car. I know it's $12.95 a month, but it's worth getting all the mlb games and the home plate channel to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This is ridiculous, the Reds should do everything they can to keep themselves available over free radio in cities like Louisville.

Sad, just sad.
    The John Allen marketing plan.. give away as few "free games" on the radio and TV as possible.. then people will miss the Reds and come to the park.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?