Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

Re: Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The John Allen marketing plan.. give away as few "free games" on the radio and TV as possible.. then people will miss the Reds and come to the park.
    Let me make sure I understand the strategy...the best way to promote the Reds and increase attendance is to make it difficult to be a fan away from the park so new fans can't be cultivated and long time fans forget about the Reds and pursue other activities.

There and Back Again...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    CaptainXX

I am able to listen on 700, but I am only 15 miles from Shelbyville and the static is still pretty bad. I can imagine what it's like in Louisville.

I wanted to sign up for XM's internet-only package to listen to games and Home Plate at work, but those channels aren't available online. I guess that is some sort of licensing issue with MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Let me make sure I understand the strategy...the best way to promote the Reds and increase attendance is to make it difficult to be a fan away from the park so new fans can't be cultivated and long time fans forget about the Reds and pursue other activities.

MLB follows the same plan, just check their TV blackout rules.
    Go Gators!

redlegsrock

I would just like to register my displeasure as well. I am in the car a good bit in the evening, and an avid Reds fan as well. I should not have to pay to hear the Reds since technically Louisville is still the Reds market (due to the Bats). I turned on 790 last night and got Dennis Prager instead of Marty and Thom. 700 came in ok but there was lots of static. I can't pick up 700 at all from my house. I can't believe more people would listen to some misc. political talk show host (not that all of them are bad) than Reds baseball. What is the world coming to?

So is this a Reds issue or just the decision by a radio station - and its owner(s) - that they can make more money by broadcasting talk radio rather than Reds games? Last I checked this is a capitalistic society and you are urged to make as much money as you can.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I emailed the Reds from their website to ask about this and to note your displeasure. I'd recommend others who are effected do the same. At the bottom of their website it says "contact us" and one category is "Broadcasting".

You are correct, our games are heard on 101.7 in Louisville. I understand the signal is not very strong, however, at this time our rightsholder, Clear Channel, cannot obtain an affiliate with a more powerful signal. Hopefully, in the future, this will change. Thank you so much for your support of the Reds!
    Here's the response from the Reds. I'm not sure I understand the structure of their arrangement, but perhaps complaints should go tot Clear Channel. It can't hurt, either, to reiterate to the Reds that this is untenable.

I have a portable XM Radio that you can use in the home, car or walking outside. I love it!

It seems pretty silly not to carry the big league team in the city that hosts its triple A club. Very strange move.

And, regarding buying the Internet pkg, believe it or not a whole lot of people don't have computers... especially older fans who love the Reds in KY and WV.

You've gotta write letters, send emails, and/or telephone anyone you can think of that has some clout to let them know how you feel. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post

Yes, that's what John Allen thinks. Obviously, he's clueless. He never understood that free TV and radio is the best advertising he can get for his product. Obviously, you can't have all the games on free TV, but the Reds expect people to come from Kentucky when those people are seldom even exposed to the Reds. Sure, the diehards will get MLB.TV or whatever, but what about the next generation of fans/diehards?

I don't think I would've been a baseball fan if it weren't for the NBC game of the week and the NY/Chicago/Atlanta superstations letting me see games when I was a kid. Just think about the huge void in RedsZone if REDREAD never became a baseball fan.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Sorry to hear about Louisville....hopefully they'll come back once they realize the mistake they've made.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So is this a Reds issue or just the decision by a radio station - and its owner(s) - that they can make more money by broadcasting talk radio rather than Reds games? Last I checked this is a capitalistic society and you are urged to make as much money as you can.
    But the Reds have some input into helping their Radio affliates succeed, since they basically "manufacture" the product. If people were snoozing last year with Marty and the Bad Boy calling games last year, isn't that partly the Reds fault (as is the lastluster teams the Reds have had since 1999?) Also, are the Reds demanding too much $$ for their broadcasts?

Many reasons why the Reds are at least partially to blame for their declining radio network, which was once huge.

I'm not positive, but didn't Allen decide to give WLW all the rights to the baseball games and allow WLW to work deals with affiliates? I don't know if that caused the number of affiliates to shrink or not, but that's a policy decision the Reds made.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn View Post
    I have a portable XM Radio that you can use in the home, car or walking outside. I love it!

Does it have a built in antenna? I don't know much about XM.. but the one my parents has a really fussy antenna that has to be positioned "just right".

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it's a Reds issue in that the Reds need to work harder on the marketing side, not just in Hamilton Co., but in other cities it claims as its market. If they want to cultivate fans in Louisville, they need to work harder to market the team and make it more attractive to local radio outlets. The Reds should look at their radio affiliates as a partnership rather than just selling them a product and making them responsible for marketing the games in the local market.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But the Reds have some input into helping their Radio affliates succeed, since they basically "manufacture" the product. If people were snoozing last year with Marty and the Bad Boy calling games last year, isn't that partly the Reds fault (as is the lastluster teams the Reds have had since 1999?) Also, are the Reds demanding too much $$ for their broadcasts?

Many reasons why the Reds are at least partially to blame for their declining radio network, which was once huge.

I'm not positive, but didn't Allen decide to give WLW all the rights to the baseball games and allow WLW to work deals with affiliates? I don't know if that caused the number of affiliates to shrink or not, but that's a policy decision the Reds made.

Well, if there's something bad going on with the Reds it has to be John Allen's fault. Honestly, don't you ever get tired of playing that same tune over and over again?

It seems like Clear Channel is the rightsholder to the broadcasts. Since WLW and the former station in LOU are both Clear Channel stations, it seems like it's the station's decision to me. If a station believes it can make more money in talk radio than it can airing baseball games, shouldn't they be allowed to do it? And what do you want the Reds to do about it, have them carry the games at a reduced price?

It stinks that fans in LOU only have a low-powered affiliate to listen to but, unlike in the past, they have other options with MLB radio and XM.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?