Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

Re: Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Does it have a built in antenna? I don't know much about XM.. but the one my parents has a really fussy antenna that has to be positioned "just right".
    I assume the antenna is built in...but when I use headphones if something starts going out then I kind of move or wiggle the plug to the headphones and it comes back in.

I don't see the model I have on their site now...I guess it has been retired. I have not heard anything about the ones on their site now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    GOREDSGO32

I would like to get a satelitte radio, I'm hoping the XM-Sirius merger goes through. It's kind of sucky to have baseball on one, then practically every other sport on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    I would like to get a satelitte radio, I'm hoping the XM-Sirius merger goes through. It's kind of sucky to have baseball on one, then practically every other sport on the other.
    i love my xm. its portable with a built-in antenna. i can also purchase antenna headphones for better reception. My only complaint is that if I had listened to any road game I would have to listen to the other teams broadcast. Luckily 580am carries the Reds so I can dial that up to hear Marty when the Reds are on the road.
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

This blows. Used to live in Louisville and I loved sitting out on my deck having a local affiliate picking up the feed. MLB package does nothing for me there, much less as many said in a car. This blows.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    i love my xm. its portable with a built-in antenna. i can also purchase antenna headphones for better reception. My only complaint is that if I had listened to any road game I would have to listen to the other teams broadcast. Luckily 580am carries the Reds so I can dial that up to hear Marty when the Reds are on the road.
    I actually enjoy hearing other announcers call Reds games. It's nice to hear an announcer complement the Reds when they do well every once in a while.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote:
    You are correct, our games are heard on 101.7 in Louisville. I understand the signal is not very strong, however, at this time our rightsholder, Clear Channel, cannot obtain an affiliate with a more powerful signal. Hopefully, in the future, this will change. Thank you so much for your support of the Reds!

Here's the response from the Reds. I'm not sure I understand the structure of their arrangement, but perhaps complaints should go tot Clear Channel. It can't hurt, either, to reiterate to the Reds that this is untenable.
    Clear Channel has 9 radio stations in the Louisville area. The above quote tells me that they aren't trying hard enough to put Reds baseball on a stronger signal.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Well, if there's something bad going on with the Reds it has to be John Allen's fault. Honestly, don't you ever get tired of playing that same tune over and over again?
    But Allen has been in charge of the Business side of the Reds since about 1997... right? For the most part, we've seen declining attendance, declining quality of the product, and shrinking media all during his rein of terror. Allen was the one that personally negotated all the media contracts under the Lindner era. He gave WLW exclusive radio rights, pulled the Reds off free TV, etc.. So yes, he is responsible. If he's not responsible, who is?

It seems like Clear Channel is the rightsholder to the broadcasts.
    Because Allen decided to make it that way, which was stupid. Clear Channel doesn't give a rip about promoting the Reds, or trying to expand Reds' coverage. Thus we get decisions that political talk radio (or whatever) is better to broadcast than the Reds.

And what do you want the Reds to do about it, have them carry the games at a reduced price? .
    Yes, to some extent, they should. The Reds could do creative things, like allow the station to carry the games at a reduced rate in exchange for commerical time to promote the Reds or other things like that.

Don't you think it benefits the Reds to have a regional coverage area? I know that when I lived out of WLW range, I lost track of the Reds. Sure, not everyone is like me, but that is an example.

It stinks that fans in LOU only have a low-powered affiliate to listen to but, unlike in the past, they have other options with MLB radio and XM.

But that's a chicken in the egg problem.. Sure, established fans may pay to get the games on XM.. but how are you going to bring in new fans.. For example.. The WNBA might have an XM package.. But I'm not a fan of that, so why would I buy that package? Now if the games were on free TV or free radio, I might start listening to try it out.

Once again.. the Reds marketing strategy is "We're a major league team, you should go out of your way to support us, just because we're a major league team".
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This has been a bone of contention with me since the 2007 season started. First off, XM is great (I have it at home and in the car) but they hang that ****ing 15 second delay on it so that ruins using it when I watch the games on tv.

Second, I can get 101.7 but I have to move the radio to a different location in the room for every game it seems. I have a portable SuperRadio that actually pulls in the patchetic signal they put out.

Third, 700WLW just does not come in well in Louisville, it never has. I was on a trip to northern Indiana last week and was able to listen all the way to South Bend with very little static and dropouts. I guess there is just too much interference in Lousyville.

Now you can bet they will keep UK (pronounce that Yuck) games on their biggest and best stations, heaven forbid we miss a minute of Ripp Arena action

As for announcers I don't want to hear anyone calling my Reds but Marty and whoever else is in the booth with him because he calls it like it is and does not sugar coat it.

Turn Off Ads?