Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torii Hunter possibly looking at 3 year suspension?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Torii Hunter possibly looking at 3 year suspension?

I just saw on Baseball Tonight that Torii Hunter is in trouble with the league because he broke "gift giving" rules. Apparently he sent the KC Royals 4 bottles of champagne valued at about $500 a bottle, which I guess is against league rules. They interviewed him and he said that the league notified him there could be repercussions, including the suspension.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Torii Hunter possibly looking at 3 year suspension?

Saw this on PTI earlier today. 3 years for that would be pretty laughable. I say fine him and let it be over with.

Did they say why he sent the champagne to the Royals?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Everybody in the American League should send champagne to the Royals, especially teams in their division.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Saw this on PTI earlier today. 3 years for that would be pretty laughable. I say fine him and let it be over with.
    Rules are rules. See Rose, Pete.

If baseball is going to change things up for Hunter, change them up for Pete and let the Hit King in the HOF. Otherwise, see you in 3 Tori.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post

If baseball is going to change things up for Hunter, change them up for Pete and let the Hit King in the HOF. Otherwise, see you in 3 Tori.
    Is it a mandatory three year suspension for this though? I don't know, what does the rule say?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

He sent it because IIRC, the Royals swept the Tigers last year to give the Twins the central crown. No big deal in my opinion, and certainly not worthy of a suspension.

Yeah, cause that's the same thing.

Give me a break.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

From the espn.com article...

Namely, rule 21-b, which proclaims "Any player or person connected with a Club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or person connected with another Club for services rendered ... in defeating or attempting to defeat a competing Club ... shall be declared ineligible for not less than three years."
    Sounds like 3 years is a real possibility...
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeah, cause that's the same thing.

Give me a break.
    I didn't say it was the same thing. Apparently there is a rule book somewhere on this stuff. The stuff in the book is either concrete or it isn't. If it is, it is three years for Hunter. If the book isn't considered valid and baseball wants to make revisions to what is in this book as they go all I'm saying is do the right thing and make the revision so that the all time hit leader in the history of baseball be allowed in the stinking HOF for what he did as a player instead of penalizing him for what he did as a manager.

I just don't see how you make em up as you go for some guys but claim "them are the rules" for others. Varying degrees of offenses, or not.

So, you would banish him for three years?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

You can't compare Pete to Torii in this situation. You have to deal with intent when dealing with a situation like this. Hunter probably would have not sent the bottles had he known there was a rule against them. He didn't intend to do something against the rules of baseball just did something to say thanks. MLB should have just looked the other way on this one and never brought it to the national spotlight.

I can see why the rule is in existance (bribery) but certainly the intent was different.

A three year ban could effectively be a lifetime ban for Hunter. Unless he were to play in Japan to keep his skills sharp I would think it would be doubtful he could regain his game in 2010.

Rem

Heard Tori being interviewed on the Dan Patrick radio show. The Twins were in the clubhouse watching KC beat the Tigers at the end of the 2006 season and Tori made a joke that "we should send these guys champaign". It becamce a joke on the team and then died out.

On the first road trip to KC this year, someone remembered the joke and reminded Tori. So he he had someone go out and purchase the champaign.

He never told KC about the champaign prior to giving it to them. He never called them up and said, "if you win, I'll give you some champaign". It was never used as an inticement. Hell, he didn't even give them the "gift" in the same season as the game(s) the gift might have influnced.

Apples and oranges.

The context of the gift rule is to avoid the outcome of games being changed under the inticement of gifts or other rewards. Tori's season late gesture had no impact whatsoever on the outcome of the KC/Tigers ball games since KC never even knew about the joke going on in the Twins clubhouse and the gift wasn't delivered until 4 or 5 months later.

The context of the betting rule is to avoid the outcome of games being changed under the inticement of winning said bets. Can you say that Pete betting on his team nightly didn't impact the outcome of a single game? And before you answer, Pete claimed for years he never bet. Then he claimed he only bet a little. Then he claimed he bet only on his team. Then he claimed he only bet on his team every night to win. So if he said his betting never effected the outcome of a game, would you believe him?

Tori's gift has zero to do with Pete's betting. Zero.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

In my opinion, one of our society's biggest problems these days is it's complete and total lack of common sense.

Common sense tells you that a player sending over bottles of champagne to another team because they helped your team win a pennant and betting on the outcome of a professional baseball game with which you are directly involved are two COMPLETELY different things, regardless of what may be on the rule books. One seems harmless in nature; it is patently obvious on it's face that the other is completely wrong.

I love Pete as much as the next Reds fan and I do believe he should be in the HOF but, this is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in quite some time.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?