Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Reds Hitting

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,368

    Reds Hitting

    The Reds batting average was .228 entering tonight. Does anyone think tonight will start them on the road to improving their hitting?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Reds Hitting

    We can only hope. I think we needed a game like this where some guys got it going. BP had 2 hits, Griff finally notched his first HR, AGonz had a huge offensive night... and we actually got this going at the same time that we had a quality start.

  4. #3
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,314

    Re: Reds Hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Reds batting average was .228 entering tonight. Does anyone think tonight will start them on the road to improving their hitting?
    I've said all season (19 games) that Jr. will be fine, he's been making pretty good contact and he's being much more patient at the plate this year than he was last year, I look for a decent improvement on last years numbers. This team is much better with him in the line-up, although I've been told several times that this team is better with an outfield of Dunn, Freel and Hamilton everyday.

    EE is showing signs of being the player he was last year at the plate.

    Ross will most likely pick it up a little bit, but I don't expect a repeat of the first half of last year for him.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,368

    Re: Reds Hitting

    We will need Gonzalez and Ross to pick it up if Encarcion and Philips continue to struggle. I think overall tonight was the start of the end of their prolonged slump, and we can expect better things in the future.

  6. #5
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Reds Hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I've said all season (19 games) that Jr. will be fine, he's been making pretty good contact and he's being much more patient at the plate this year than he was last year, I look for a decent improvement on last years numbers. .

    I also think once Jr. gets comfortable with playing right field his offensive numbers will pick up. If he can get comfortable with playing right field and focus on his hitting and not worry about his fielding then I think we will see a big boost from his bat!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  7. #6
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,314

    Re: Reds Hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I also think once Jr. gets comfortable with playing right field his offensive numbers will pick up. If he can get comfortable with playing right field and focus on his hitting and not worry about his fielding then I think we will see a big boost from his bat!!
    I agree and he has looked better out there of late, so maybe he is starting to get comfortable.

  8. #7
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Reds Hitting

    Amarillo,I really hope this game tonight will get our team clicking on all celinders.BP,Ross,EE,and Griffey all came up with huge hits that hopefully will boost their confidense up.This team should be fine in the ofense catagory!! If Ross,EE,and BP can stay hot and IF JR can stay healthy then that would help our ofense big time.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  9. #8
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Reds Hitting

    I hope Griffey can hit like he did before last year, last year he was atrocious at the plate. They need him. I still think they are better with Freel in the lineup 4-5 times a week..........for someone.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Monfort Heights
    Posts
    621

    Re: Reds Hitting

    Griffey's patience so far is encouraging but it's a small sample size. I don't buy that he's going to have an OBP .100 points higher than his AVG all year. He needs to be more selective than he was last season though.

    As for his power numbers they'll come. He hasn't hit home runs in April for three or four years and he seems to get hot when it comes to homers after April.

  11. #10
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Reds Hitting

    Maybe we'll do great on the road this year and crappy at home? Only time will tell.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  12. #11
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,314

    Re: Reds Hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Griffey's patience so far is encouraging but it's a small sample size. I don't buy that he's going to have an OBP .100 points higher than his AVG all year. He needs to be more selective than he was last season though.

    As for his power numbers they'll come. He hasn't hit home runs in April for three or four years and he seems to get hot when it comes to homers after April.
    It may not be 100 points higher, but it's not that crazy for Griff. For his career his OBP is 83 points higher than his BA. Last year was an odd year for his OBP. An this season is a small sample size so far, but his career is not a small sample size.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Monfort Heights
    Posts
    621

    Re: Reds Hitting

    A little off topic here but I was just looking at his career stats. I forgot in 2005 he had a .950 OPS in 130 games. If he can get back to those numbers it will really help the offense.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25