Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was this the beginning??

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Was this the beginning??

Tonight's game so many frustrating things come to an end, you almost have to consider it a new beginning. So many things, you have to list them:

1. Gonzo finally showed some power, but we also saw his fielding powress.
    2. EdE got a hit on the road.
    3. Griffey got his first HR.
    4. David Ross got two hits and looked much better at the plate.
    5. Scott Hatteberg looked like the 2006 version.
    6. The team got 17 hits and 10 runs--more than the whole Philies series
    7. Timely hitting all around.

Good stuff

Of course, on the other hand, we saw some things that are still aggravating:

1. Dunn's slump continues.
    2. Phillips continues to be a horrible 2-hole hitter (though he went 2-6).
    3. The bullpen is still very hittable (I know, everyone knew that).
    4. Todd Coffey continues to be the most confusing player here, throwing
    10 pitches--9 of them for stikes and still allowed three straight hits,
    then throws tr=hree almost perfect pitches to get out of it.

Just goes to show you with good pitching and not having efveryone in a slump, you can win with this bunch. May the force continue.

But is this the beginning of the bats waking up and the team playing well??
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Was this the beginning??

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Tonight's game so many frustrating things come to an end, you almost have to consider it a new beginning. So many things, you have to list them:

Good stuff

Of course, on the other hand, we saw some things that are still aggravating:

1. Dunn's slump continues.
    2. Phillips continues to be a horrible 2-hole hitter (though he went 2-6).
    3. The bullpen is still very hittable (I know, everyone knew that).
    4. Todd Coffey continues to be the most confusing player here, throwing
    10 pitches--9 of them for stikes and still allowed three straight hits,
    then throws tr=hree almost perfect pitches to get out of it.

Just goes to show you with good pitching and not having efveryone in a slump, you can win with this bunch. May the force continue.

I think so. I think Jr. is going to have a much better season than he did last year. I think Ross will be better than he's been but not like the first half of last year.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

I wish that it was but I have seen the Reds feast on pitchers with an ERA of 4.70 or better so often that I will have to wait to see how well they do against better pitching before I get inspired by their offense.

If it isn't the beginning of better things, I'm sure it will somehow be Jerry Narron's fault.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

It was Kip Wells. The Reds have hit him hard since he came out of the womb.

I'm curious to see if they can keep it up against some better pitching.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Of course you can always make the point that one of the hallmarks of a bad offense is lack of consistency. You'll have your occasional 10/11 run outbursts, but part of the problem is that you can't count on the players involved to keep it up over a long stretch of games.

I'll have to see some more good ABs from Ross and Encarnacion to proclaim them as having turned the corner.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    If it isn't the beginning of better things, I'm sure it will somehow be Jerry Narron's fault.
    He only gets credit for the bad stuff.

But one game is a pretty small window. Especially against a Kip Wells.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Man Pills

The offense will be sufficient; the bullpen monumentally bad; Harang should continue to improve, while Lohse will slide. Belisle is HIGHLY unlikely to a. stay healthy or b. remain effective over 150-170 innings if he does stay healthy. Milton is Milton.

This team is last year's team. Welcome to this year.

you said Dunn was still in a slump? he didn't strike out, doesn't that count?:
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The offense will be sufficient; the bullpen monumentally bad; Harang should continue to improve, while Lohse will slide. Belisle is HIGHLY unlikely to a. stay healthy or b. remain effective over 150-170 innings if he does stay healthy. Milton is Milton.

This team is last year's team. Welcome to this year.
    Why always the constant and nearly total pessimism? Certainly this team has its work cut out for it, but I just don't see the dark cloud you regularly see.

This bullpen may prove to be uneven, but it's not last year's bullpen and there's depth waiting in Louisville should some of it falter. I don't think it's a given that Lohse will decline, and I don't think it's a given that Belisle will come up injured. And if Milton can keep us in the game as he has in EACH of his starts thus far, that's a plus.

I won't predict this team wins the division, but it has as good a chance as any of the other teams. It won't be easy, but it's possible.

Nice win, step aside so I can pee on the fire.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Why always the constant and nearly total pessimism? Certainly this team has its work cut out for it, but I just don't see the dark cloud you regularly see.

This bullpen may prove to be uneven, but it's not last year's bullpen and there's depth waiting in Louisville should some of it falter. I don't think it's a given that Lohse will decline, and I don't think it's a given that Belisle will come up injured. And if Milton can keep us in the game as he has in EACH of his starts thus far, that's a plus.

I won't predict this team wins the division, but it has as good a chance as any of the other teams. It won't be easy, but it's possible.
    Inertia's tough to break. Just ask the Brewers or the Pirates.

This team is severely lacking in elements in each quadrant of the game (starting, relieving, hitting, defense) who can carry the team for weeks at a time. Simply put, there are no Oswalts, Wheelers, Carpenters, Pujols, Sheets, Santanas on this team. Winners have to have those guys. The Reds have some nice secondary stuff, but no killers anywhere. And that creates inertia--and not the good kind.

After all, the question of this thread wasn't: was this a nice win, which of course it was; the question was: is this the beginning of something for the team. I say no.

That's not pessimism.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 04-25-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I wish that it was but I have seen the Reds feast on pitchers with an ERA of 4.70 or better so often that I will have to wait to see how well they do against better pitching before I get inspired by their offense.

Wells came into the game with an ERA in the low 3's. The Reds increased it to 4.70.

That's a little unfair to say they feasted on a 4.70 guy.

It doesn't make sense to read overly much into one game. This team isn't going to score 10 runs a game. In fact, it's not going to score five runs a game. What looked so good last night was that a lot of guys contributed. That needs to be the case more often than not. If you've only got one way to win then you probably aren't going to win that often.

As I noted in another thread, what we'll be doing for the next month is watching a club fighting to achieve consistency. June is when we'll really have a proper sense of whether it's achieved consistency.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Good stuff
    Enter Jobu:
    Most Vottomatic Player

Turn Off Ads?