Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Elijah Dukes on slumps

Elijah Dukes on slumps

"It's not really the hits that will get you back, it's the walks that get you back. From the time that I was in a bit of a slump, I don't think I drew a walk one time. That's the thing, though. If you can see pitches, you get deep in the count and get some quality at-bats. I think that's what makes you come out of a slump. When you're in a slump, you're not recognizing balls and strikes."
    --Rays outfielder Elijah Dukes (Marc Lancaster, TBO.com)
    I know the guy has had his issues with anger management, but what a wonderful thing to hear out of a young ballplayer. I was watching their game the other day and the broadcaster made a comment on what a smart ballplayer he was. This quote bears that out too. Somebody should send a copy to Brandon Phillips...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Elijah Dukes on slumps

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I know the guy has had his issues with anger management, but what a wonderful thing to hear out of a young ballplayer. I was watching their game the other day and the broadcaster made a comment on what a smart ballplayer he was. This quote bears that out too. Somebody should send a copy to Brandon Phillips...
    Dukes and Phillips both have 7 walks on the season.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Manny on hitting

"I said, 'Manny, let me ask you something. I was just wondering why you get back in the batter’s box after ball four.' He said, 'I don't keep track of the balls.' He said, 'I don't keep track of the strikes, either, until I got two.' Then he said, 'Duke, I'm up there looking for a pitch I can hit. If I don't get it, I wait for the umpire to tell me to go to first. Isn't that what you're paying me to do?'"
    --Dan Duquette, former Red Sox GM.

"I'm looking for a '62 or a '63 Lincoln conver

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Manny on hitting
    I'm guessing he doesn't guess pitches??

I love Elijah Dukes. I was pushing hard for the Reds to acquire him last year during his off the field struggles. Kid is an amazing talent and is very smart as evidenced by that quote.

"It's not really the hits that will get you back, it's the walks that get you back. From the time that I was in a bit of a slump, I don't think I drew a walk one time. That's the thing, though. If you can see pitches, you get deep in the count and get some quality at-bats. I think that's what makes you come out of a slump. When you're in a slump, you're not recognizing balls and strikes."
    --Rays outfielder Elijah Dukes (Marc Lancaster, TBO.com)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Nice one Marc!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

For those who are not die hard Red Sox fans, Manny is a constant source of amusement. Thank god they never traded him.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?