Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Narron Chronicle: 4/25 vs. Cards

The Narron Chronicle: 4/25 vs. Cards

I'm starting a log of Jerry's games and how he does from my POV. Please chime in.

Good moves:
    Same lineup as last night.

Bad moves:

Bunting in the first inning, the one Looper usually has trouble with. Also, having scored 10 runs the night before, sucking the wind out of any confidence created by that. In addition, taking the bat out of Brandon Phillips hand, a hitter who must get going. An out just given away...in the first inning...

Pulling a cruising Bronson Arroyo...again...

Overall:
    Jerry got his lips off the crack pipe of changing lineups, but started shaking and sweating, thus making moves that lost the game. Terribly over-managed game.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: The Narron Chronicle: 4/25 vs. Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I'm starting a log of Jerry's games and how he does from my POV. Please chime in.

Good moves:
    Same lineup as last night.

Bad moves:

Bunting in the first inning, the one Looper usually has trouble with. Also, having scored 10 runs the night before, sucking the wind out of any confidence created by that. In addition, taking the bat out of Brandon Phillips hand, a hitter who must get going. An out just given away...in the first inning...

Overall:
    Jerry got his lips off the crack pipe of changing lineups, but started shaking and sweating, thus making moves that lost the game. Terribly over-managed game.
    Phillips did the bunt by himself. That wasn't Narron.

I agree on Arroyo though. I would have left him in. He had at least an inning left knowing his durability, and he was cruising. Use the bullpen as little as possible when Arroyo is on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post

I agree on Arroyo though. I would have left him in. He had at least an inning left knowing his durability, and he was cruising. Use the bullpen as little as possible when Arroyo is on the hill.
    Whew. I hope Jerry had some words for Brandon after that choice...but yanking Arroyo after 90 pitches? Poopie.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post

I totally agree. Bunting was stupid in that situation though.

I also agree on Arroyo. He could have gone at least some of the 8th inning, but Narron seems to be snakebit. He makes the wrong move no matter what. I don't understand this, but it happens often.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I
    Somehow, I'm quite certain that if he would've left Bronson in another inning and run his pitch count to the 115-120 range, you'd have people screaming about how he abuses the starters.

I find absolutely no flaws in Narron's manegerial strategy tonight. Players simply didn't execute when they were called upon to do so.

Go out and win the series tomorrow.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Somehow, I'm quite certain that if he would've left Bronson in another inning and run his pitch count to the 115-120 range, you'd have people screaming about how he abuses the starters.

I find absolutely no flaws in Narron's manegerial strategy tonight. Players simply didn't execute when they were called upon to do so.

yep
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

How about Saarloos in a game that is tied and late!!! not his role!

he loves coffey and saarloss

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I can't get on Jerry tonight either...the pulling Arroyo situation was a good one to pull him in....not because of his pitch count, but because you're in a tie game, in the 8th, with him leading off....you bring in Freel, and hope he can get on base with the top of the order coming up.

Now, tomorrow, Jerry may outmanage himself and be worthy of blame....

Not me caveat,thats whats arong with todays managers!! They seem like they have to watch that pitch count for all the pitchers.All these players are pros and thats why they are out there to play and help their team win.They don't want to come out after 90 pitches,they exspect to stay out there and pitch 115-120.This is the major leagues not a old timers game.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    How about Saarloos in a game that is tied and late!!! not his role!
    What is his role? Does he have a set role?

Coffey's shown he can't handle that role....

Arroyo had thrown 90 pitches, and had retired 10 in a row. No guilt leaving him in...

I would have left him in, there was a chance that those first two might not have reached against him. Who do they have better?

Arroyo had thrown 90 pitches, and had retired 10 in a row. No guilt leaving him in...
    It was 96 pitches and I don't really have a problem with him taking Arroyo out since he was leading off the inning. Especially since he had Freel to use in that situation. Someone in the game thread said it's bad move to roll the dice on a guy with a 28% chance to get a hit, well Freel has over 36% chance to get on base. Honestly I can see that move going either way, I don't think there was a definite right answer on that one. One thing that is certain he was going to ripped on redszone either way.

Also everyone jumped on him for taking out Arroyo last week only to find out the next day Arroyo asked to come out. I doubt that was the situation in this case but taking guys out too early is not a pattern that Narron usually follows.

If the bullpen holds it and the Reds win, Jerry Narron made the right move, right?

I'm not Jerry's biggest fan, there are better options out there (another thread, not getting into it) but I'm not going to blame him every time the Reds lose if I don't feel it's warranted.

Funny game, this baseball is...

Turn Off Ads?