Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hatteberg's footwork

Hatteberg's footwork

Hatte needs fielding lessons from Jim Thome in the worst of ways. Thome is a DH right now, but could play a much better 1B than Hatte. I learned footwork from watching him when I was wronger. He was in a similar situation too, where he started off at a different position (3B) then went to 1B. Here's a personal letter to hatte.

Dear Scott,

When a grounder is hit, strattle the bag. When the throw comes to you, place your right foot on the side of the bag that the throw is going to be on. DO NOT STRETCH TOWARDS THE FIELDER BEFORE THE THROW. If you do that, you will be off balance on throws not directly at you.

Sincerely,

Your infielders

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hatteberg's footwork

Well, as far as taking lessons from Jim Thome, uh...there is a reason why he's a DH now. Now if you would have said Mark Grace or Keith Hernandez, then that I could live with.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Also talked to Hatteberg about the error. He made a good point. He was playing further away from the bag with Wilson batting, so when it was hit, he was going full speed toward the bag, and had longer to go. He said Gonzalez tried to get it there quicker to try to make sure Taguchi stayed at second and the ball sailed a little bit, but not too much. The ball was pretty much on its way to first by the time Hatteberg got to the bag and his weight was still headed toward the inside part of the bag, while the ball was to the outside. He didn't have time to shift his weight. "If I'm already at the bag, I get it," Hatteberg said.

The guy made an error, that's part of baseball.

Let's just all agree that Hatteberg's footwork is less than the best.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

He should have better footwork at 1B but you have to remember hes really has caught his whole life till he messed up his arm.

WOY, thanks for the explanation on his part.

I have felt this since last April, I was just T'd off last night I guess. Big Klu, Thome is a DH now also bc Paul Konerko is the CWS 1B. Also, that was part of my point about Hatte, that I think Thome is a much better 1B than he is, despite being a DH.

Honestly I think his footwork looked bad on that play for exactly the reason that he gave. First basemen stretching too early is one of my pet peeves about baseball players and other than last night I've never seen Hatte stretch too early. Honestly I think he usually has very good foot work. I think it probably happened exactly as he said, and it sucks but it's understandable. I don't think because of one play all of the sudden Hatte's forgotten how to play first base.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't think because of one play all of the sudden Hatte's forgotten how to play first base.
    I don't think he ever knew. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Honestly I think his footwork looked bad on that play for exactly the reason that he gave. First basemen stretching too early is one of my pet peeves about baseball players and other than last night I've never seen Hatte stretch too early. Honestly I think he usually has very good foot work. I think it probably happened exactly as he said, and it sucks but it's understandable. I don't think because of one play all of the sudden Hatte's forgotten how to play first base.
    I'm with you there. Poor play at 1B bothers me quite a bit as well. As an ex-good-field/no-hit 1B-man ( I know, real useful player, eh? ) in HS, I was especially conscious of these points. His footwork was obviously lacking on that play. Now, the point of why it was lacking - scrambling to get to the bag vs. just poor fundamentals is the question. I'll admit, when I 1st saw the play in slo-mo I was thinking error on Hatte right away. But depending on when he got to the bag vs. when the trhow was getting there, it is understandable that he could have difficulties on that one.

I know we had some IFers in HS (our star SS in particular) that would basically catch and immediately throw right to the bag, and at times I was just busting it to get there in time, nonetheless have my feeet set properly to be able to extend either direction properly.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I don't think he ever knew. sorry.
    The picking machine? come on..he's a gold glover
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?