Thread: Peavy with 16Ks through 7

Peavy with 16Ks through 7

... and 117 pitches
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Peavy with 16Ks through 7

saw that, im playin the guy that has him in our fantasy league :thumbdown

Peavy wasn't brought back out for the 8th and ends up with a no decision after Hoffman gives up a 2 out, 2 run walkoff shot to Stephen Drew in the bottom of the 9th.

At one point he struck out 9 batters in a row, 1 off Seaver's MLB record.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRed View Post
    Peavy wasn't brought back out for the 8th and ends up with a no decision after Hoffman gives up a 2 out, 2 run walkoff shot to Stephen Drew in the bottom of the 9th.
    My point exactly leave the guy out there to finish the game!! I know I would'nt want to be the manager that had to go up to him and tell him sorry man you should have still been in there.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    My point exactly leave the guy out there to finish the game!! I know I would'nt want to be the manager that had to go up to him and tell him sorry man you should have still been in there.
    Well, JP had thrown 117 pitches after the 7th. I don't think you can expect him to finish the game, and it's not even crazy that he didn't come out for the 8th at that pitch count early in the year. Plus, and this is a HUGE plus, they have Hoffman for the 9th. That didn't work tonight but if they get tired of him I'll pay his airfare to Cincy.

Well, JP had thrown 117 pitches after the 7th. I don't think you can expect him to finish the game, and it's not even crazy that he didn't come out for the 8th at that pitch count early in the year. Plus, and this is a HUGE plus, they have Hoffman for the 9th. That didn't work tonight but if they get tired of him I'll pay his airfare to Cincy.

The only way that I would have took him out is if he was starting to get in trouble.With 16 strikeouts it don't sound like he was in trouble anytime.To take out a pitcher when he is crusing in the game is rediculious but thats just me.Sure people says he throwed 117 pitches, so what the guy is a millionare and getting paid.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    The only way that I would have took him out is if he was starting to get in trouble.With 16 strikeouts it don't sound like he was in trouble anytime.To take out a pitcher when he is crusing in the game is rediculious but thats just me.Sure people says he throwed 117 pitches, so what the guy is a millionare and getting paid.
    Because when you get to that level of pitches, the more stress each pitch has on your arm. This is especially true for guys like Peavy who do have a record of injuries. Do you think the Padres are looking to get their star pitcher injured? They took him out at the right time. The Padres are the ones paying that contract, so I'm guessing they will try their hardest to protect a guy like Peavy.

And the Padres have one of the best closer-setup man combos in all of baseball. It's a shame they failed this time, but that doesn't happen very often.

I would atleast let him com out in the 8th (IF he wanted to) and let him start the eight.Hoffman does'nt come in to the 9th so I would atleast let him come back out BUT thats just me

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Because when you get to that level of pitches, the more stress each pitch has on your arm. This is especially true for guys like Peavy who do have a record of injuries. Do you think the Padres are looking to get their star pitcher injured? They took him out at the right time. The Padres are the ones paying that contract, so I'm guessing they will try their hardest to protect a guy like Peavy.

And the Padres have one of the best closer-setup man combos in all of baseball. It's a shame they failed this time, but that doesn't happen very often.
    Righty-O! I'll feel good ten out of ten times i trot those guys out there.
    Witty signature.

Shows how times have changed. In 1974 Nolan Ryan said he averaged between 160-180 pitches per outing. That number is included in an interesting article about how pitch counts were not even an issue 30 years ago. It's a pretty good read:

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/06/15/base06-15-2004.html

It mentions a 14 inning game between Ryan and Luis Tiant. Ryan threw 235 pitches in that one! Tiant may have thrown as many but his pitching coach didn't track such things.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 04-26-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It mentions a 14 inning game between Ryan and Luis Tiant. Ryan threw 235 pitches in that one! Tiant may have thrown as many but his pitching coach didn't track such things.
    That's insane.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    That's insane.
    Yeah it seems insane now. My how times have changed. Cy Young threw 749 complete games. I can't say for sure why times have changed so dramatically but they have...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Shows how times have changed. In 1974 Nolan Ryan said he averaged between 160-180 pitches per outing. That number is included in an interesting article about how pitch counts were not even an issue 30 years ago. It's a pretty good read:

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/06/15/base06-15-2004.html

Times certainly have changed. I was just saying that an often injured Peavy at 117 pitches is reasonable by today's standards. Like it or not, most managers make the same move.

He'd have 20 against the Reds
    Most Vottomatic Player

Turn Off Ads?