Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rick Sweet on Homer Bailey

Rick Sweet on Homer Bailey

Bailey was so focused on working on his curveball and change-up that he wasn't too concerned about who was in the stands. It showed in the results as the right-hander allowed only four hits, walked one and struck out two.

"As long as I'm pitching to home plate and it's still 60 feet six inches, I'm all right," said Bailey, the seventh pick in the 2004 draft. "I'm trying to keep my team in the game, and I try not to worry about things that may be in the future. Right now I'm feeling well when I go out there."

The 6-foot-4 Texan worked effectively without too much trouble, but in the fourth inning Richmond got to him for the two unearned runs. Willie Harris led off with a flyball that was dropped by left fielder Tyrell Godwin for a three-base error. Harris scored on a sacrifice fly. With one out, Bill McCarthy and T.J. Bohn rapped back-to-back doubles for the 2-0 lead.

McCarthy's shot to center with two out in the sixth made it 3-0. It was just the second homer allowed by Bailey this season.

Louisville manager Rick Sweet said Bailey has made progress.

"I think this was the best command of his off-speed," he said. "He threw back-to-back change-ups. The curveball he used well. He pitched a good ballgame. This is encouraging. He was working with the catcher. He's got to put together some more games like the one he pitched."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...16/1002/SPORTS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rick Sweet on Homer Bailey

Sounds like he is making excuses. Obviously Bailey is working on his pitches, but I think the real reason is that he doesn't feel the command to throw 98mph heat right now(he didn't last year either to June). Not surprising, but they could at least come out and say it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Aronchis, what the heck would he be making excuses for?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Aronchis, what the heck would he be making excuses for?
    For not having the feel to command a 98mph fastball. He could throw hard, but if it doesn't cross the plate, it is no better than a 93mph fastball. The advantages that the Hughes and Gallardo's have at this time are signifigent vs. Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    For not having the feel to command a 98mph fastball. He could throw hard, but if it doesn't cross the plate, it is no better than a 93mph fastball. The advantages that the Hughes and Gallardo's have at this time are signifigent vs. Bailey.
    Hughes couldnt top 92 after the 1st inning today, and that is how it usually is with him. Bailey, when he throws his FB 93-94 has tons of movement on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hughes couldnt top 92 after the 1st inning today, and that is how it usually is with him. Bailey, when he throws his FB 93-94 has tons of movement on it.
    You have to remember, most scouting "reports" are typically overdone. Neither Hughes or Gallardo throw overly hard. The reports of them hitting the mid-90's is overglossed. We know Bailey is the classic power hurler, but so to comes the slow development.

Hughes probably dropped his velocity to control the strikezone. He will move up in heat as he gains more confidence.

Bailey's fastball is straight, but he hides his delivery well most of the time.

Baileys fastball is straight? Just so you know you are the only person I have ever seen say that, anywhere. No scouting report I have ever seen has it said that.

As for Hughes controlling the zone... he did a good job of throwing the ball over the plate. It just led to 7 hits in 4.1 innings because guys were sitting on his fastball. All of his strikeouts came on guys who werent in MLB to start the year. The meat of the order went 6-8 against him. The Yankees pushed him to fast and to early and I would be surprised if he gets another 2 starts before heading back. He needs more seasoning. He made mistakes today that he could get away with in AAA, but professional hitters made him pay big time on them.

Turn Off Ads?