Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Possible Help for the Bull Pen

Montani Semper Liberi

Possible Help for the Bull Pen

Maybe there is some hope for the Bull Pen.
    From the Reds Official Website, sounds like Narron is ready to make some personel changes in the Pen.

If the struggles continue however, Narron said the Reds could begin looking to Triple-A Louisville for reinforcements.

"The one thing about our bullpen is, especially with our right-handers, it's all basically the same type of stuff," Narron said. "There's no real power guy -- someone who's going to throw in the mid-90s. I'm talking about someone who can blow in some gas."

Right-handers Jared Burton and Brad Salmon both regularly heat up the radar gun in the mid-90s. Burton, a Rule 5 player, is on an injury rehab assignment with Louisville after going on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring on April 8.

Burton has a 1.50 ERA in four games (one earned run in six innings), while Salmon has a 2.16 ERA (two earned runs, 8 1/3 innings) and two saves in eight games. Another right-hander, Gary Majewski, has an 8.00 ERA in nine games (eight earned runs, nine innings).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possible Help for the Bull Pen

as near as I can tell, Jerry doesn't get to make roster decisions

Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    as near as I can tell, Jerry doesn't get to make roster decisions
    Well I hope someone in the organization realizes that the division is up for grabs and 3 or 4 games can make a difference. We can't continue to waste quality starts by Harang, Arroyo and our other starters who are doing their part to win games. When the offense isn't scoring a ton of runs and you have a lead past the 6th or 7th inning, you have to win those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Well I hope someone in the organization realizes that the division is up for grabs and 3 or 4 games can make a difference. We can't continue to waste quality starts by Harang, Arroyo and our other starters who are doing their part to win games. When the offense isn't scoring a ton of runs and you have a lead past the 6th or 7th inning, you have to win those games.

AMEN!

We will get roster changes if the bullpen doesnt perform. We have a lot of talented youngsters pitching in AAA.

I'm all for bringing up Burton and Salmon. I think they'd be a welcome addition to the 'pen.

However, who do you move to make room? Send down Coffey/Coutlangus? Ship out Cormier or Santos? I'm not sure, but something's gotta be done.

what has santos done wrong the rest are detritus

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    what has santos done wrong the rest are detritus
    Not saying I want him traded at all. Just a possible option, as he might bring back something in return. Personally, I think he's been one of the few bright spots.

Coffey can heat up the radar gun as well............there is more to pitching out of the bullpen than heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    Coffey can heat up the radar gun as well............there is more to pitching out of the bullpen than heat.
    i hear that, i think mph is one of the most overrated things in baseball. velocity is more important, and the way your stuff moves, but most important of all is if you know how to pitch.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

When Burton is done with the rehab I think you see Coutlangus gone.

Bring up Salmon for Sarloos?

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    i hear that, i think mph is one of the most overrated things in baseball. velocity is more important, and the way your stuff moves, but most important of all is if you know how to pitch.
    You do realize that velocity is mph don't you?

Burton was sent down to AA today . Not sure why. Unless its only for rehab, dont look for him to come up.

It's just a rehab assignment.

He'll be back with the big club soon, or else we'll have to offer him back to the A's.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?