Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "I Am A Transsexual Sportswriter."

Re: "I Am A Transsexual Sportswriter."

Tim Hardaway could back up some these responses

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Why a different last name? Is [s]he still not the child of his/her parents?
    Commonly, after undergoing the procedure, the transgendered individual will change both their first and last name as a symbolic/psychological cutting of ties with their previous identity.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    Commonly, after undergoing the procedure, the transgendered individual will change both their first and last name as a symbolic/psychological cutting of ties with their previous identity.
    Although Chris Karl from BP just went with Cristina.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Although Chris Karl from BP just went with Cristina.
    You know, when I initially saw the thread title (on another board) that was who I thought of first, and assumed it was just an old necro'd thread.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Who he thinks he is.
    And for all intent and purposes, that's as far as one needs to go in these types of decisions, IMHO.

I'm not sure anybody- including the author- is claiming this is actually a woman. I think most people would say this person is living as a woman.

If it takes a load off this guy's mind to do so, you should be happy for him instead of sitting in judgment.

It's a free country. If he wants to mutilate his body and take hormones the rest of his life he can go to it. But it doesn't change his sex and the rest of us are also free to opine that he's misguided.
    If it makes you feel better to toss some stones at somebody like this, you are right, can go to it, too.

But in comparison, he comes out looking better than what you are displaying here.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 04-27-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If it takes a load off this guy's mind to do so, you should be happy for him instead of sitting in judgment.
    Genuinely improving one's lot in life requires hard work, determination, and a little bit of luck. Denigrating someone else in order to make one feel better about their lot in life, we see, is much easier.

Oh, and... "she," not "he," Dom.
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

wow you guys crack me up lol I was going to try to slide in some sarcastic joke but it looks like you guys got them all haha

Changing teams

by Christina Kahrl

The news that LA Times columnist Mike Penner will be making the transition to Christine Daniels is a welcome development, not just for the transsexual community, but for sports. It serves as an another example of the tremendous progress being made by transsexuals, not merely as a matter of their own self-acceptance, but out in the wider world.

In my talking with her about her transition in the weeks leading up to today’s announcement, I counseled her that my experience was that the sports world didn’t go off the rails when I transitioned in 2003. Why? Because sports is the ultimate American social bridge, and what I’ve found is that it serves as a topic that transcends lines of race, gender, class, and culture. Americans love to talk about sports, and if they find a writer or commentator with something interesting to say on the subject, they’re going to listen, or maybe argue–but most of all, they’ll engage. I learned–happily–that the readers of my column and the books that I’ve worked on couldn’t care less whether or not I’m a transsexual. Better still, I found that my colleagues still value my insights, analysis, and opinions–I could not ask for a better collection of teammates. And I’ve learned that my fellow figures in the media still make a place for me in the Fourth Estate. So, in the same way that Mike Penner’s columns have been a must-read for the Times‘ audience for years, so too will Christine Daniels’.

Christine deserves the highest praise for her courage, and my fondest wishes for her success as she transitions. The Times should also be commended for their thoughtful and supportive actions in working with Christine through the most challenging part of a transsexual’s life. It serves as further proof that the country in which we live is achieving great things on small stages, as acceptance becomes the norm and no longer the exception.

Christina Kahrl
    Managing Editor, BaseballProspectus.com
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Who he thinks he is. Unfortunately this article just shows how whacked he is. A simple XY blood test will tell him what sex he is. If he thinks his brain is female that's his problem. I've seen folks on talk shows that will swear up and down they're from Venus. Doesn't mean it's true.

It's a free country. If he wants to mutilate his body and take hormones the rest of his life he can go to it. But it doesn't change his sex and the rest of us are also free to opine that he's misguided.

I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I agree with this.
    You must not have caught that I was "throwing stones in order to make me feel better."

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yeah, that's a great sports article.

I think he just needs a LiveJournal.
    Hey.. I have a LiveJournal!

For the record, saw her on the news tonight, and she doesn't look too bad as a woman.

Don't read too much into that!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Old Adventures Of New Christine????? Sounds like a spoof of that show that Julia Louis Dreyfus plays in.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    she doesn't look too bad as a woman.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    The Old Adventures Of New Christine????? Sounds like a spoof of that show that Julia Louis Dreyfus plays in.

Sounds scary to me!!

Turn Off Ads?