Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "I Am A Transsexual Sportswriter."

For a Level Playing Field

Re: "I Am A Transsexual Sportswriter."

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is one of the most famous phrases in the United States Declaration of Independence.

Written hundreds of years ago, but something that all American citizens should believe. If this change makes the writer of the article happy, then more power to him/her. Being allowed to do as you legally please is one of the main reasons this country was founded. And it includes the three things above. It might not make you happy, but your right to be happy in regard to someone else's choice is not important. You will soon get over it, the writer of the article would not if not for the change.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's not a woman, THAT'S A MAN, BABY!!

He isn't claiming that he actually has female DNA. Geez. He's claiming that he identifies as a female; he wants society to associate those things it is associates with being a woman, with him. Fact is that society ascribes a whole bunch of things to you based on the gender identity you present to the world.

He feels more comfortable as a women. Next time you casually say "hey man" to some guy you know, ask yourself if you've even seen his penis or tested his DNA. Because if you haven't, you're only going off of some rudimentary physical traits and, more importantly, the identity he is presenting.

This sportswriter has been presenting an identity he is not comfortable for the sake of making society feel comfortable. Now that he's willing to put himself first, he's simply explaining the scenario.

You can choose to call him whatever you want. That's your choice. You can be a jerk underneath the surface (you can't help it, you were born with jerk DNA) and pass it off to the world as your enlightened benevolence. Likewise he can choose how he'd like to present himself. I hope you'd give him the same freedom.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

You can choose to call him whatever you want. That's your choice. You can be a jerk underneath the surface (you can't help it, you were born with jerk DNA) and pass it off to the world as your enlightened benevolence.
    Yeah!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He isn't claiming that he actually has female DNA. Geez. He's claiming that he identifies as a female; he wants society to associate those things it is associates with being a woman, with him. Fact is that society ascribes a whole bunch of things to you based on the gender identity you present to the world.

Actually I wouldn't know female DNA if I had a test tube full of it so I am sure DNA is the furthest thing from his mind.

The fact of life is we are all made one of two ways...female or male. You can be disappointed with how you're made. You can dress differently, have surgeries to remove otherwise healthy organs. You can take hormone medications when you are otherwise perfectly healthy. You can ask people to address you with another gender pronoun. But what you haven't done is change your sex. You're still what the Lord made you. To pretend otherwise is just that.

If I'm his health insurance co I drop him. If he wants to abuse his otherwise healthy body with this sort of treatment, he should be responsible for the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    This sportswriter has been presenting an identity he is not comfortable for the sake of making society feel comfortable. Now that he's willing to put himself first, he's simply explaining the scenario.
    I'd argue that he is making the change to make himself more comfortable in society rather than the other way round.

But besides that, who cares what he, now she, does along these lines? I don't necessarly agree with it, and would certinally not choose that action for myself, however, his actions have less than zero impact on my life. Why would I even care enough to get riled up by it?

Good luck to him. I'm sure such a change is difficult on many levels. Hope it brings him the happyness he seeks.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-28-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

But what you haven't done is change your sex.
    Again, I'm not so sure he believes this at the scientific level as you are stating.

I still call the sportswriter "he," because I agree with you on this point.

And while this may be true, I don't feel it necessary to say he is mutilating himself or that he is misguided or whacked.

You're still what the Lord made you.
    And if the Lord made his brain so that it makes him think he is a woman, it sounds like God would be fine with this man's decision. Responsibility works both ways, and no one knows this better than the Creator of all things, one would think.

To pretend otherwise is just that.
    We all pretend in some ways. Read Machiavelli sometime. Pretending is a terrific coping mechanism and it can give us a sense of purpose.

To think that one is being truhful with one's self at all times would be the ultimate game of pretend.

If I'm his health insurance co I drop him.
    And if this were the year 1547, he'd be fed to the lions.

If the worse thing that happens to him is he gets dropped by his insurance company, then we've come a long way.

Look- on some level, I think we are with you in saying that this is a bit weird. I'll bet the sportswriter would even agree with you. It's weird because it doesn't happen to even a percent of the population probably.

He's an outlier to say the least.

And if I'm standing under the bell curve, I feel lucky for myself and sympathy over disdain for this guy.

When you look at the big picture, for every so many human beings that are born, this occurs, and we are staring at one of these occurrances. If he were a murderer or a child molester, we wouldn't stand for it, no matter how many times these outliers show their ugly head.

But this guy wants to be known as a woman. It doesn't affect any of us. If he wants to struggle to put his pantyhose on every day rather than boxer briefs, I just don't care.

He'll tell you it's weird, I'm sure, which makes it even more courageous that he could face a world filled with people who will make fun of him and look at him differently.

We should look at the courage displayed here and realize that there is nothing we should be afraid of in our own lives. If some dude can walk around in a dress, what could I do if I let my inhibitions go?

I haven't taken one-tenth of a percent of the risk this man is taking in my entire life combined.

I wish this man would have done this when I was in the fourth grade, because he would have inspired me to walk right up to Paula Carter and tell her she was the hottest thing going at Clough Pike Elementary School instead of leaving an anonymous note on her desk.

I guess my point is this: The world is filled with things we don't understand or don't agree with, and it feels a lot better to just accept that and move on, and maybe even draw some inspiration for our own lives rather than ridiculing somebody.

This guy is an easy target, and I think we all look better if we restrain ourselves rather than letting him have it, even though we have every right to. In fact, it's because we have every right (by this I mean free speech, not that he deserves it) to lay it on him that we look even better when we don't.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 04-28-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Senor Votto

That was not worth reading.

Well, darn it Dom... already given you rep points this week (for TB) - and then you post that gem!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    That was not worth reading.
    The original article, all the posts after, or just Dom's last response?
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I don't think a lot is known about gender dysphoria. It has nothing to do with sex or homosexuality, it's has everything to do with gender. I suspect it is very much tied to hormones and genetics.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    You know, when I initially saw the thread title (on another board) that was who I thought of first, and assumed it was just an old necro'd thread.
    I thought that as well... of course I thought Chris was short for Christina (not a far stretch when I'm a female baseball fan).

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    For the record, saw her on the news tonight, and she doesn't look too bad as a woman.

Don't read too much into that!
    Are we talking about Christina or Christine? If you're talking about Christina, no she doesn't-there is a pic of her after the BP article on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Are we talking about Christina or Christine? If you're talking about Christina, no she doesn't-there is a pic of her after the BP article on the website.
    I am referring to Christine. She was on CBS News last night.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The fact of life is we are all made one of two ways...female or male.
    Nothing in life is as black and white as you would like to think, not even this. We are all made in a multitude of different ways. Some of us are born with missing limbs, autism, mental retardation, homosexual, straight, elephantitis, high IQ, low IQ, heart conditions, skin disorders, sociopaths, psychopaths, etc. Science, biology, the human brain, none of it is as discriminatory as either choice A or choice B in any area of a person's life. There is no such thing as a "normal" person, because who is to determine what is normal? If only normal people have a say about what is "normal", then that is already a discriminatory statement.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?