Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Adam Dunn did you know?

Re: An Adam Dunn did you know?

Redsland, thanks for the info. Very informative stuff.

And I agree that Marty needs to see this stuff. I just can't imagine what his response would/will be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post

And I agree that Marty needs to see this stuff. I just can't imagine what his response would/will be.
    'He could be better'
    'Its not good enough'
    'He still doesnt hit well'

I bet it would be something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post

He'll just blow it off. Marty has his mind made up and he aint changin' it.

I remember Pedro and Steel sent him infoe like this and he blew it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    He'll just blow it off. Marty has his mind made up and he aint changin' it.

I remember Pedro and Steel sent him infoe like this and he blew it off.
    Well, maybe if a few hundred more of us do it...
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Well, maybe if a few hundred more of us do it...
    Go for it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

One of Marty's favorite sayings is, "I was here before you and I'll be here after you've gone," or something similar.

Funny thing is, the game could say the same thing to Marty, and the game is no longer played how it was when Marty started following baseball.

I don't think he'll ever be convinced that walks and homeruns produce more runs than sacrifice flies, ground outs, and stolen bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...C_active.shtml

The only player who is Dunn's age who has created more runs than him is Sir Albert, who is truly an incredible hitter. No one younger than Dunn has created more runs than Adam has, and only Pujols has "out RC'd" him.

Marty is wrong about this. I understand his frustration with Dunn. The thing that frustrates me the most about Adam is when he takes a called 3rd strike with RISP. I don't have numbers on it, but it happens enough that I notice it, and a poster mentioned it yesterday also, IIRC.
    I wish SOMEONE would inform him of this with enough authority or stats backup that he'd believe it. I would have loved to have seen him put on the spot about it during the rain delay.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Hey, if Redsland gives me permission, I'll do it. I promise to be civil; after all, I grew up listening to the guy.
    Go nuts. But please stick to the numbers, plus any of your own commentary that you care to add, rather than mine. (I don't need the publicity.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Go nuts. But please stick to the numbers, plus any of your own commentary that you care to add, rather than mine. (I don't need the publicity.)
    The Witness Protection Program?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    what is a "pure hitter"?
    Clemente
    Pujols
    Williams

Those are the kinds of guys I think of- tough, tough outs, who hit the ball no matter where it is and who are always a threat to go deep. I think of guys against whom there is no out pitch.

I'll have to rely on my pop's memory of Clemente, but he said he saw him do all of those things; take an outside pitch and punch it over the opposite field wall with his back foot of the ground kinds of things.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I want Dunn to be successful, I really do. My team needs for him to be successful. We can debate stats all day long, but when the game is on the line, in the 9th, with the winning run on third, 2 out, I don't want him batting. Do you?
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I want Dunn to be successful, I really do. My team needs for him to be successful. We can debate stats all day long, but when the game is on the line, in the 9th, with the winning run on third, 2 out, I don't want him batting. Do you?
    LOL, I would rather have Javier batting.

MY argument about Dunn is this. HAS HE IMPROVED OVER HIS 6 YEARS IN THE MARJORS? THE ANSWER IS........NO, HE HAS NOT. NOT IN ONE AREA OF THE GAME.
    Guys I'm not just talking JUST about batting. He hasn't improved in fielding or base running. The guy is 27 years old. We should be seeing his best. His best was in 2004. Adam Dunn's "career year".

He hasn't learned anything anything anything. He continues to make all the same mistakes year after year. Swing at bad pitches out of the zone and watching the ones rights down broadway for strike three. Maybe he has a learning disability or two.
    Last edited by Marge'sMullet; 04-29-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: to make it easier to read
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Actually, I think Ted Williams would probably look more favorably on a patient Adam Dunn-type hitter than a guy who slaps at the ball and hits a lot of sac flies. He himself wasn't exactly known for things like sac flies and he preferred to move the runners over by waiting for his pitch and driving it. IIRC, he was also subject to a shift similar to what Adam Dunn faces. I think I heard he used to smash his hits right through it rather than deprive himself of power by trying to slap the ball to the other field. I could be mistaken though. There are folks here who have had the opportunity to read is "Science of Hitting" who would be able to shed more light on his hitting philosophy.
    Ted Williams would be all over Dunn right now, the way he is presenting himself at the plate. IMHO, Dunn's problem AGAIN is being too selective and then finding himself in the hole 0-2 where he then is at a pitcher's mercy.

He had 4 RBIs the first 2 games of the season and 6 since. In the last 2 1/2 weeks, Dunn has had 1 Hr and 3 RBIs. His B/A, as well as his OB% and SLG% are dropping like a rock. That's not bashing Adam Dunn - that's simply saying what he is doing is unacceptable, and he needs to be kicked in the arse and get it together.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Ted Williams would be all over Dunn right now, the way he is presenting himself at the plate. IMHO, Dunn's problem AGAIN is being too selective and then finding himself in the hole 0-2 where he then is at a pitcher's mercy.

He had 4 RBIs the first 2 games of the season and 6 since. In the last 2 1/2 weeks, Dunn has had 1 Hr and 3 RBIs. His B/A, as well as his OB% and SLG% are dropping like a rock. That's not bashing Adam Dunn - that's simply saying what he is doing is unacceptable, and he needs to be kicked in the arse and get it together.
    I think Ted Williams would have been lambasting the Reds in their choice of managers and hitting coaches telling him to be more aggressive and expand his strike zone. I feel like the Reds have done more to screw up his approach than help him. All that talk about being more aggressive, not taking walks, trying to drive in runs, no wonder he takes good pitches and chases stuff in the dirt. Dunn was a great hitter when he came up and the Reds have done nothing but complain about his approach and try to "fix" it.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

I would just like to know why a carpenter that never played above A ball has much better stats than him? Is it the lefty vs righty thing or just talent?

259 .357 .482 .840
    288 .391 .661 1.052
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-29-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?