Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Game Thread Forum

Game Thread Forum

As the discussion around today's lineup was closed, I have a question that I've been thinking about for awhile as it's happened rather often.

I thought the Game Thread Forum was just that, a game thread forum where one could easily find all game threads in one place. I didn't know that the creation of said forum meant that we could not discuss lineups and/or outstanding game tidbits on the other forums.

I never go into the Game Thread Forum except to look at/parcipate in the game thread. I don't go there to look for discussion threads.

Am I the only one who is confused?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Game Thread Forum

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Am I the only one who is confused?
    Nope. We had a lineup discussion going in a thread titled "Today's Lineup."

Makes all the routine posts.

I'm confused about many of the closed threads around here.

The thread that was closed - by me - was just a mirror of the game thread. It was the posting of the lineup and 3 pages of complaining about it. We already have one thread like that. We didn't need another. If you want to complain about today's/tonight's lineup, go to the game thread. That's what it is there for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Well, I thought that the problem people were having with the game threads was that they were wide-ranging in scope and largely negative.

If that's the problem, then it seems like one way to keep the game threads focused is to talk about ongoing games in them, and have tangential discussions elsewhere.

As things stand now, anyone who failed to open the game thread yesterday would never have known that Alex Gonzalez, of all people, was hitting second, or that Griffey was a late scratch with a sore chest (!), or that Castro and Hopper were both getting starts (?), because none of those things warranted their own thread, apparently. Yet they were all worthy of discussion, as shown by the 60 posts in the game thread that preceeded the start of the game.

I guess all I'm saying is that we weren't talking about the game. We were talking about the lineup. So the discussion doesn't seem to me like it belonged in the Game Thread Forum. Furthermore, it's nearly 24 hours later, and there's no other discussion anywhere else but in that thread about our franchise player being scratched from a game with a sore chest. Since we know from a recent discussion that many people avoid game threads, all of those posters, it's clear, are missing out on important information. They haven't been able to weigh in on the Griffey matter, in part because they don't like having to wade through game threads to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Well, I thought that the problem people were having with the game threads was that they were wide-ranging in scope and largely negative.
    And that thread was different because?

If that's the problem, then it seems like one way to keep the game threads focused is to talk about ongoing games in them, and have tangential discussions elsewhere.

As things stand now, anyone who failed to open the game thread yesterday would never have known that Alex Gonzalez, of all people, was hitting second, or that Griffey was a late scratch with a sore chest (!), or that Castro and Hopper were both getting starts (?), because none of those things warranted their own thread, apparently. Yet they were all worthy of discussion, as shown by the 60 posts in the game thread that preceeded the start of the game.
    And I fail to see what is so difficult about opening the game thread to find out this information. If I want to know what the lineup is, logic tells me to go to the game thread which is in the game thread forum and usually stickied. You don't exactly need a map and a compass to find it. And you don't need to read the whole thing either. Go to the game thread, see the lineup and go about your business,

I guess all I'm saying is that we weren't talking about the game. We were talking about the lineup. So the discussion doesn't seem to me like it belonged in the Game Thread Forum. Furthermore, it's nearly 24 hours later, and there's no other discussion anywhere else but in that thread about our franchise player being scratched from a game with a sore chest. Since we know from a recent discussion that many people avoid game threads, all of those posters, it's clear, are missing out on important information. They haven't been able to weigh in on the Griffey matter, in part because they don't like having to wade through game threads to do so.

Anyone is free to post a thread about Jr. or anyone being scratched from the lineup. When people see a thread about a lineup for today's/tonight's game, they may think it's the game thread. We have had some people wonder where the game threads are. It's confusing.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Is the rule of thumb that any discussions about a game in progress or a game taking place later that day should take place in a game thread?

Whatever the rule of thumb is, IMO it should be in the description of the Game Thread forum so that everyone knows.
    /r/reds

Chip,

Not telling you how to do your job, but most people aren't going to come back to the game thread a couple hours after the game is over and want to have a discussion there. It pretty much becomes a ghost town 10 minutes after the game ends.

If something interesting or odd happens during the game.. Like Jerry's "energy" lineup, would it really hurt to have a thread in Live about it?
    I imagine a lot of people got home, saw the score, and didn't want to relive it through the game thread...

Narron ran out probably the worst lineup I saw in my life yesterday.. Isn't that worthy of a seperate thread for discussion?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

part of BBN

I meant to "quote" REDREAD. That is who I was good pointing.

Excellent point. Last night when I got home,there was a couple of things that warranted discussions of their own but as far as the thread..I didnt have time to go thru 50(?) pages of a gamethread.
    Usually I will just check last page to check out the last few comments.
    Last edited by jmac; 04-27-2007 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Because at the time it wasn't a game thread. It was a thread about the lineup.
    When people see a thread about a lineup for today's/tonight's game, they may think it's the game thread.
    Those people can be pointed in the right direction on those occasions.
    And I fail to see what is so difficult about opening the game thread to find out this information…. And you don't need to read the whole thing either.
    It's not about the difficulty of opening a game thread. It's (as I said) about the fact that many people have said they don't want to open the game thread at all. Here are some posts from the "GT is a Mess" thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    With this my first full year in RZ I've been interested in following some game threads and have clearly come to the same conclusion every single night...unless you want to truly be miserable and feel awful about the Reds and every single mistake, DO NOT FOLLOW ALONG...
    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    You're right on target, IMO.

It's too bad, really. Those threads used to be a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I agree coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm going to skip the game thread for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I have to agree. I've found myself gravitating away from game threads and away from posting in others because of this trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    As a general rule, I avoid game threads when the Reds are losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    i agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I haven't dealt much with the game threads since last year. I looked at a few in spring training but it was more of the same type of conversations that killed threads last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I dont generally post in the Game Threads since I can watch them or listen at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    But then again, I rarely show up in the game thread so it doesn't much matter to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    For the most part I'm at home when the games are on. I'm either watching or listening, but rarely am I online when a game is on. For the most part, I only notice game threads when there are day games, so most of my observations are drawn from those specific occasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    As far as the game threads, I'll be honest - I don't regularly read the game threads because I find them difficult to follow because of the all "noise" with so many different people posting about what they've just witnessed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I remember thinking that the game thread was about the last thing I would want to look at when I got home.
    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I participate in maybe 1 or 2 game threads per week.
    All of those people and presumably more were destined to miss any discussion that took place in the game thread. Look, I'm not against the presence of the game thread or the presence of a forum for it to reside in. I'm just asking for some restraint when it comes to putting topics in there, since we know that place is Siberia to a lot of posters.

That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Is the rule of thumb that any discussions about a game in progress or a game taking place later that day should take place in a game thread?

Whatever the rule of thumb is, IMO it should be in the description of the Game Thread forum so that everyone knows.

The beef I had with the thread was that the lineup was posted on it. We try to close duplicate threads on here, as you well know. If someone wanted to start a thread saying, "Hey, check out the wacky lineup today" and posted a link to it, whether it be from Trent's blog or the actual game thread, that's fine. Or is someone had posted something about Jr. being scratched or Gonzo hitting 2nd or whatever, that's OK too. I just didn't see the need for another thread that people might mistake for a game thread. No, it wasn't talking about the game yet but neither does the game thread until it starts. As others have said time and again, the first several pages of the game thread consists of posting the lineup and people bashing that lineup. So that thread didn't seem any different to me than the game thread and that's why I closed it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

And I fail to see what is so difficult about opening the game thread to find out this information. If I want to know what the lineup is, logic tells me to go to the game thread which is in the game thread forum and usually stickied. You don't exactly need a map and a compass to find it. And you don't need to read the whole thing either. Go to the game thread, see the lineup and go about your business,

Anyone is free to post a thread about Jr. or anyone being scratched from the lineup. When people see a thread about a lineup for today's/tonight's game, they may think it's the game thread. We have had some people wonder where the game threads are. It's confusing.
    It really is hard to argue with this logic.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The beef I had with the thread was that the lineup was posted on it. We try to close duplicate threads on here, as you well know. If someone wanted to start a thread saying, "Hey, check out the wacky lineup today" and posted a link to it, whether it be from Trent's blog or the actual game thread, that's fine. Or is someone had posted something about Jr. being scratched or Gonzo hitting 2nd or whatever, that's OK too. I just didn't see the need for another thread that people might mistake for a game thread. No, it wasn't talking about the game yet but neither does the game thread until it starts. As others have said time and again, the first several pages of the game thread consists of posting the lineup and people bashing that lineup. So that thread didn't seem any different to me than the game thread and that's why I closed it.
    So, wait...if it was the title of the thread that was confusing, wouldn't it have just been possible to rename it something besides "Today's Lineup"?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    So, wait...if it was the title of the thread that was confusing, wouldn't it have just been possible to rename it something besides "Today's Lineup"?

Sure it was possible. I just decided to close it rather than change the title for the reasons I stated.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?