Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guaranteed Contracts in MLB

Re: Guaranteed Contracts in MLB

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    I doubt it. A torn labrum is a torn labrum.

I mean, if we're talking about paying players by the hour or something, then yeah, fewer of them will sit out with "flu-like symptoms" or go on the DL with "shoulder fatigue." But it would take a serious, real injury to get a contract terminated, and there's no way to play through those.

Personally, I think if baseball contracts weren't guaranteed, more guys would bench themselves with day-to-day type injuries, unwilling to play through pain for fear of exacerbating some small malady.
    I disagree with your last statement. If contact were not guaranteed, I think players would only sit out when their managers/doctors would make them. I think getting a wrap about being soft would mean a lot more since your paycheck could vanish at any moment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    This will never happen, of course, but I would have really enjoyed a remuneration system in baseball similar to golf, tennis, and auto racing. Making the playoffs pays big dollars, winning a championship even more, and winning the World Series is like hitting the jackpot.
    I really like this idea.

I wonder why it isnt in place now?? Why would anyone in particular the players or management oppose it??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Boy Howdy ....How many times in the last .....five years have the reds been hurt by a player playing when he should have been on the DL?

Don't forget the big one.. Jr.

Jr was hurt in 2001, but the Reds insisted on making him available to pinch hit, so it wouldn't hurt ticket sales.. then he got hurt worse. They've probably cleared Jr to play many times too early.

What about Majewski last year? I still think they should've just shut him down for the year when they diagnosed him as being overworked. Instead, they let him rest for 2 weeks, and then pitch him in minor league games as rehab? Idiotic, considering Maj wasn't going to contribute and the Reds weren't going to win the division with or without Maj.

They also sent Mercker out last year when he clearly shouldn't have been pitching.

I think a lot of baseball players are pressured to play hurt (at least on the Reds), when they shouldn't be. I wish the team was more concerned about the long term health of the player, but I guess to the owners, these players are just disposable property.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think you also have to look at roster limitations when dealing with injuries. Do you want to add a man to the 40 man roster for a short period of time becasue of an injury? Sure you can place a man on the 60 day DL but when he comes off you have to make a roster move.

IMO nagging injuries in baseball take more of a toll than that of football. In football you basically give it your all and then rest for 5 days. In baseball you can because you have to do it day after day after day which only makes that injury linger. A nagging injury like a hamstring or quad or ankle might not seem like it is effecting your performance but in reality it is significantly.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I disagree with your last statement. If contact were not guaranteed, I think players would only sit out when their managers/doctors would make them. I think getting a wrap about being soft would mean a lot more since your paycheck could vanish at any moment.
    In the old days, guys hid their injuries because they didn't want to lose their jobs, and because teams still had the attitude that an injury was some sort of character flaw. Instead of getting fixed, they'd keep playing until the injury was beyond repair or the club got tired of watching the diminished performance, and then they were out of baseball. I guess people can argue whether this was better or worse for the game; it sure wasn't better for the player. But I'll just say this -- if you're going to be that Darwinistic about players, particularly pitchers, you'd better have a lot more where they came from.
    Not all who wander are lost

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I really like this idea.

I wonder why it isnt in place now?? Why would anyone in particular the players or management oppose it??
    Management would love it- players would be paid according to how they did on the field of play. It would be totally fair to everyone, especially if the pot were totalled (ie- the players making the exact same percentage of the gross that they do right now) and divvyed up based totally on production and winning baseball games.

The Players Association would never go for it, since it would set back every gain they have made since the reserve clause was struck down. And no union anywhere would certainly ever again be in solidarity with the players union.

Like I said, it will never happen, but it's fun to daydream about it from time to time.

Non-guaranteed contracts are stupid. Thanks to having guaranteed contracts Baseball doesn't have to deal with the annual holdouts like football players who are unhappy with their contracts. And I'm not blaming the football players, it's the only leverage they have so they should use it. If a team can cut a player at any time for no reason then a player should be able to renegotiate also.

Players are definately less likely to play hurt if they have non-guaranteed contracts. If you knew your team could cut you if you got hurt you don't battle injuries, you take your time to heal them so you don't jeopardize your next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Non-guaranteed contracts are stupid. Thanks to having guaranteed contracts Baseball doesn't have to deal with the annual holdouts like football players who are unhappy with their contracts. And I'm not blaming the football players, it's the only leverage they have so they should use it. If a team can cut a player at any time for no reason then a player should be able to renegotiate also.

Players are definately less likely to play hurt if they have non-guaranteed contracts. If you knew your team could cut you if you got hurt you don't battle injuries, you take your time to heal them so you don't jeopardize your next contract.
    I guess thats my hockey player mentality, doing everything you can to play hurt (as long as your are still helping your team).

WTR to your statement about guaranteed contract being stupid, I would venture to say that Baseball players are more likely to have big pre-contract years. Meaning that baseball players are more likely to tail off after signing a big contract than football players. I think that shows the benefits of non-guaranteed contracts. It would be nice to know that at any time Ross or Milton could get cut. And hopefully they would react in a competitive manner and live up to their contracts.

UC Ken I disagree. Non guaranteed contracts make the NFL better. True you have holdouts in the pre season but they rarely make it into the regular season. It helps teams get rid of bad contracts. They are still punished by these contracts but they are able to get out from them and it doesn't effect the team for the forseeable future. For example what do you think the reds could have done had Griffey and Milton been disposable or been able to rework their contracts? The reds probably wouldn't have been in this mess. I will take preseason holdouts as long as I know that a team can win 2 games one year and go to the super bowl the next.

I think it makes baseball better. It emphasizes the need to develop your own players so you don't need to go out and compete on the free agent market. It rewards the teams that spend wisely. What your saying is you want to bail out the owners who spend stupidly. Why? Why not reward well run franchises?

I think the NFL has non-guaranteed contracts just because of the nature of the sport. Football careers are shorter than those for baseball players. The first contract you sign may be your last. If NFL contracts were guaranteed, no team would offer a contract longer than a year or two. Thus, in lieu of mult-year guaranteed contracts, NFL players have opted for non-guaranteed contracts, but they still get guaranteed money in the form of an up-front signing bonus. The player and team then have a multi-year non-guaranteed contract with the understanding that the player and the team may seek to renegotiate it at a later time, but that doesn't mean that players are getting the shaft.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    I think it makes baseball better.
    No conditioner is better, it makes the hair healthy and smooth.

Shampoo is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    This will never happen, of course, but I would have really enjoyed a remuneration system in baseball similar to golf, tennis, and auto racing. Making the playoffs pays big dollars, winning a championship even more, and winning the World Series is like hitting the jackpot. You'd see an entirely different style of play, more team play, more guys willing TPTGTRW, etc. The players would have a salary cap of sorts for the regular season, with rewards for season-long production, that were set in place by MLB prior to the season. For instance players with large VORP's and RC's from the previous year would be paid at a higher value during the next regular season

The difference between these sports and baseball is that baseball is a team sport. I know NASCAR has teams but you are competing against your own teammate. In baseball, you have to depend on your teammates to succeed. No matter how good of a pitcher you are, there needs to be someone to catch your pitches.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bottom line is this, players aren't as willing to play hurt as they used to be. Perhaps is just a sign of the times, but it's a fact.

As far as the topic of the thread, I really think it depends on the injury as to whether or not the absence of the guaranteed contract would cause players to be out there more. In Prior's case, I don't think it would matter. Shoulder injury and pitcher don't go together very well.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turn Off Ads?