Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: potential sucessors to Narron

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ChicagoRed

potential sucessors to Narron

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere and I missed it...

but in the event that the Reds don't show much improvement by mid-May, it certainly seems possible that Castellini will consider replacing Narron.

The biggest name that comes to my mind -- espeically if the Reds want someone to come in and shake things up, but also someone with some name value -- is Joe Girardi. Granted, he has only one year of experience, but he won with a small payroll, overachieved, and was regarded as a guy who will get in players faces. At the moment he's working for the Yankees TV network.

It's pretty rare to see a mid-season replacement manager get a team turned around that season for a playoff run -- in our case, Davey Johnson needed a year to get things turned around when he came on board in '93 -- but it's not unprecedented either. (Jack McKeon did it with FL in '03, and won the world series.)

Curious to hear other names that people think would get looked at...

Re: potential sucessors to Narron

i think they're going to stick with narron, if they were going to let him go, i think they would've in the offseason so they couldve brought sweet lou in.

Who's the bench coach? that's your replacement manager right there.
    Go Gators!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Who's the bench coach? that's your replacement manager right there.
    Bucky Dent is your man under that premise

There are a lot of candidates right here on RedsZone.

What about Billy Hatcher? He doesn't have the experience, but would certainly have the respect from the players.

If Narron gets fired during the season Dent will be the manager and then he will be give a one year contract for the 08 season, play well for half the year and recieve a 2 year extention. Sound familiar?

I want Davey Johnson back! Though if Manny Acta takes the fall in DC, I really like everything I hear from him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I want Davey Johnson back!
    As good a manager as Davey Johnson was/is, he must be one heck of a pain in the butt to work with. He's ran into trouble with upper management almost everywhere he's been. Besides his stint with the Mets, he's had his troubles keeping a managerial gig in the bigs.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Dusty Baker is waiting in the wings just ready to destroy Homer, Bronson and Aaron's right arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Dusty Baker is waiting in the wings just ready to destroy Homer, Bronson and Aaron's right arms.
    I think I might have to take a couple of years off from being a Reds fan then.:thumbdown

I had 4 years of his schtick here in Chicago, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    I think I might have to take a couple of years off from being a Reds fan then.:thumbdown

I had 4 years of his schtick here in Chicago, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Bob likes to make a splash. Hiring Big Dust would be a splash. He has a knack of turning teams around quickly. Bob's a "win now" kind of guy. The Reds aren't going to hire someone from the Billy Beane/Theo Epstein school of thinking. They would hire someone who is a traditional manager. Dusty fits that description to a T. Of course when managers are changed, the new guy is usually different from the old guy. Narron's a player's manager and so is Dusty. Of course I thought Dusty would wind up in D.C. so I could be wrong.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Bob's a "win now" kind of guy.
    The results on the field sure don't reflect that attitude from the top. Seems to be more of an Uncle Carl type who's ok with a mediocre team as long as attendance is good.

Heck, I'd be surprised if Krivsky's seat isn't a degree or two hotter than Jerry's.
    It should be, this team is no better now than it was when he took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    It should be, this team is no better now than it was when he took over.
    How can you think that? The Reds were in first place heading into September last year. He had to scramble to make moves in order to make this team more competitive due to MLB sitting on their hands when the Reds were being sold. He's brought in Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, and Bronson Arroyo. I think he's done a pretty good job.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    The results on the field sure don't reflect that attitude from the top. Seems to be more of an Uncle Carl type who's ok with a mediocre team as long as attendance is good.

No, I tend to disagree on this one. Castellini sure doesn't stand pat while the team is losing. If Lindner still owned the team we would not have made the roster turnover we have made. Not saying it has helped in the short term, but still, efforts are being made.

Turn Off Ads?