Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffey extended through '08

Re: Coffey extended through '08

Personally, I'm encouraged by what Coffey has done thus far. If you take a look at his stats, then I think he's actually been fairly impressive and a bit unlucky.

IP: 12.1

H: 17

BB: 3

K: 14

HR: 2

ERA: 6.57

WHIP: 1.62

BB/9: 2.2

K/9: 10.2

GB/FB: 2.88 (23 GB and 8 FB)

BABIP: .455

It would seem to me that Coffey has been unlucky and the victim of a small sample size. If you strike out 14 hitters in 12.1 innings, then there's really no way you should have given up 17 hits. That's just bad hit luck, especially when you have such heavy, heavy groundball tendencies. I think his peripheral stats stack up with ANY reliever in baseball. He's got a 4.67 K/BB ratio and a 2.88 GB/FB ratio. If he keeps pitching like he has been, then he's going to have a very successful season.

I've actually been rather encouraged by Todd Coffey thus far. When his hit luck evens out, then he'll be very effective. Given all that, keeping him in the fold is a very good idea.
    Last edited by 11BarryLarkin11; 04-27-2007 at 01:57 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Personally, I'm encouraged by what Coffey has done thus far. If you take a look at his stats, then I think he's actually been fairly impressive and a bit unlucky.
    Unfortunatly luck is part of baseball. Yesterday Coffey pitched he served up two groundball double plays but one was not turned becuase the ump shielded Gonzo from making the play. Thats unlucky but it is a part of the game. I think Coffey has pitched well at times but seems to get himself into trouble too often.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    They were going to bring Coffey back next year regardless. First year arb players like coffey aren't expensive anyway. I see no downside in this.

It's nice Wayne is taking care of it now, as opposed to waiting until the 11th hour, like previous administrations did. A small gold star for Wayne for this.

I wonder if they are also demoting Burton so that he can face a lower level of competition as he works on consistently throwing strikes. That seems to be his big problem.
    2 walks in 6 innings pitched in AAA isn't great but I would see no reason why lower competition would make a difference in helping with throwing strikes.

wow, unbelievabel.

Coffey is the best reliever on the team, and he is very young. Why wouldn't you try to keep him around?

He might not be the most consistant pitcher now, but he could get better as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I am conflicted about this. It is a good move if Coffey is not overused by Narron.He most likely would have been more expensive in arbitration. I would be interested to see the teams reasons for demoting Burton.
    Technically Burton is on a rehab assignment, so it's not really a demotion. A couple of ideas come to mind. It could be to let him work at a level he's familiar with and move back up to Louisville before coming back up. It also could be they like Chattanooga's schedule better (maybe warmer climes). It could be they need to make room on the Louisville roster, etc. But he's still a ML player on rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by 11BarryLarkin11 View Post
    [snip stats]

It would seem to me that Coffey has been unlucky and the victim of a small sample size. If you strike out 14 hitters in 12.1 innings, then there's really no way you should have given up 17 hits. That's just bad hit luck, especially when you have such heavy, heavy groundball tendencies. I think his peripheral stats stack up with ANY reliever in baseball. He's got a 4.67 K/BB ratio and a 2.88 GB/FB ratio. If he keeps pitching like he has been, then he's going to have a very successful season.

I've actually been rather encouraged by Todd Coffey thus far. When his hit luck evens out, then he'll be very effective. Given all that, keeping him in the fold is a very good idea.
    I know the game I saw him pitch in, he was absolutely squeezed by the umpire. He was hitting corners and not getting calls. Now that's one game, but that's what I saw. It was the game he gave up some and Cormier melted down (Cormier's only bad outing too BTW).

Good move.

The bonus of the deal is Coffeybro will be around here a bit longer!
    Where we gonna go?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Unfortunatly luck is part of baseball.
    That's true, but it tends to average out over time.

Coffey has pitched much better than his ERA indicates. If he has normal BABIP luck (which every pitcher should expect), he'd have an ERA about half his current rate.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Technically Burton is on a rehab assignment, so it's not really a demotion. A couple of ideas come to mind. It could be to let him work at a level he's familiar with and move back up to Louisville before coming back up. It also could be they like Chattanooga's schedule better (maybe warmer climes). It could be they need to make room on the Louisville roster, etc. But he's still a ML player on rehab.
    Maybe they're trying to send him down so low that Oakland will forget the Reds have him.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I heard Marty or Thom say the other day that Coffey is putting everything right down the heart of the plate. Sometimes a pitcher is afraid to walk guys and that results in a great many more hits allowed.

If you look at Danny Graves' numbers over the years, he was more effective in seasons when he walked some guys. When he stopped walking people he got hit hard (at least that's my recollection).

In Coffey's case, maybe his breaking pitches aren't moving that well and are staying over the plate. I don't know. But he seems very hittable this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I heard Marty or Thom say the other day that Coffey is putting everything right down the heart of the plate. Sometimes a pitcher is afraid to walk guys and that results in a great many more hits allowed.

If you look at Danny Graves' numbers over the years, he was more effective in seasons when he walked some guys. When he stopped walking people he got hit hard (at least that's my recollection).

In Coffey's case, maybe his breaking pitches aren't moving that well and are staying over the plate. I don't know. But he seems very hittable this year.
    Then a lot of batters must be leaning over the heart of the plate to get hit by pitches. FWIW I think this is a good move. Maybe the confidence of getting a new contract will spill over on the field for the guy.

The bonus of the deal is Coffeybro will be around here a bit longer!
    Yeah I'll be around a couple more seasons I've known about this since Sunday night was just sworn to secracy.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Then a lot of batters must be leaning over the heart of the plate to get hit by pitches. FWIW I think this is a good move. Maybe the confidence of getting a new contract will spill over on the field for the guy.

Fair point, but he has also given up 17 hits in 12.1 innings. Whether hitters are making good contact or Todd is unlucky these days, we will find out.

Turn Off Ads?