Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffey extended through '08

Re: Coffey extended through '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Fair point, but he has also given up 17 hits in 12.1 innings. Whether hitters are making good contact or Todd is unlucky these days, we will find out.
    I said it in jest........forgot the :

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like the move. Todd may not be the closer of the future, but when you consider the age and stuff of current Reds relievers and others throughout the league, he would certainly seem to have a place here. And that's probably a severe understatement, even considering recent short term struggles.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro View Post
    Yeah I'll be around a couple more seasons I've known about this since Sunday night was just sworn to secracy.
    Oh, we see where your loyalty lies!

At the risk of stating the obvious, Coffey is as good as his control. He is sorta like Harang--both have good control from a balls and strikes perspective, but that also gets them in trouble when they get wild in the zone. In other words, rather than hitting knees and corners, they start missing spots ever so slightly and end up in the middle of the plate. It is still a command issue, but they get into more trouble because hitters know they have good control and go up there looking to get a mistake pitch early. If Coffey could only harness those other two inches, he'd be lights out. Hopefully, its possible, but his little bit of funky motion makes it unlikely. That is also the secret to Kyle Lohse's success, as I guess it is any other guy with the intangible "stuff." They hit their spots, they dominate. If they're just a little bit off, its BP.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro View Post
    Yeah I'll be around a couple more seasons I've known about this since Sunday night was just sworn to secracy.
    Suffice it to say, Todd'll be buying the next time you two go out. I saw him walking to the Cheesecake Factory in Kenwood the other night. Make sure you soak him: insist on Ruby's.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Hopefully this leads to him being able to consistantly get guys out, in the late innings, while holding the lead.

That's a lot, I know

Worth noting that Krivsky is in Chattanooga right now scouting the AA club, after spending several days in Louisville.

In addition to the crummy roadtrip AAA is on, maybe he wants some time to personally see where Burton is.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Suffice it to say, Todd'll be buying the next time you two go out. I saw him walking to the Cheesecake Factory in Kenwood the other night. Make sure you soak him: insist on Ruby's.
    Well we will see. Things are going extremely well at my company. We have had 13 straight company record breaking months and I own 1% of it.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Cowboy said Coffey needs to use the splitter alot more often.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Coffey is a good pitcher. This is good.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Reliever Todd Coffey and the Cincinnati Reds agreed Friday to a $925,000, one-year contract extension through the 2008 season.
    Coffey (1-1) has a 6.57 ERA in an NL-leading 14 appearances.
    The right-hander led the Reds’ bullpen in 2006 with career-highs of 81 games and 78 innings. He had the most appearances by a Reds pitcher since Stan Belinda’s 84 in 1997.
    In addition to his base salary next year, he could earn $600,000 in performance bonuses. He is making $407,500 this year.

Senor Votto

I don't like Coffey so I don't like this move.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I don't like Coffey so I don't like this move.
    I like Todd Coffey so I really like this move.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    To each his own

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I agree. Todd Coffey is a better pitcher than what his stats indicate at this moment. He's got good stuff, it's just a matter of consistency. Once he figures it (and I have faith he will), he'll be one of the better relievers in the NL IMO.

Turn Off Ads?