Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Location and red's fans

part of BBN

Location and red's fans

I always look at things under the person's name such as location.
    I have noticed some fans from California, Philly, Chicago etc.
    Just wondering about all you fans from other states.
    were you originally from cincy area or if not....how did you become reds fans?

Myself...from KY where reds are closer than say cardinals. I really became a reds fan in 79 with George Foster my main player. My brother already married at time developed an attachment to Atl because he could get so many games on TBS.

So basically just wondering about your connection to reds with an out of state location. People from KY can chime in too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Location and red's fans

Born in Columbus in 1982. Moved to Dayton in 1988. Moved to State College, PA the summer of 1990. Putting up with my new 3rd grade comprades during the NLCS, all of whom were Pirates fans steeled my resolve. By that time Larkin had hero status (little league SS myself) so I was good to go. Subsequent stops in Minneapolis (Twins), Madison, WI (Brewers), and now Chicago (Cubs/Sox) has simply made me more of a Reds fan.

It's funny going to a game in Cincinnati and having this feeling that most of the people around you aren't "real" Reds fans. When you mostly see a team on the road, you know the fans who show up are true fans, and not bandwagoners or simply out for a beer and socializing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

For me it was Pete Rose I guess. He was at the tail end of his career when I was a kid but he drew me to the Reds for some reason. Soon after Eric Davis became my favorite player and then in no time he helped the Reds win the World Series. I was 15 and I'll never forget it. My room was plastered with pictures from SI, including the cover with Joe Oliver "sweeping" across the plate. I'm sure I'd be here today even if the Reds never won that Series but the 1990 Reds captured my heart forever and I only saw them play a few times before the play-offs rolled around. The play-offs were so intense. Paul O'Neil throwing that rocket to Sabo. Bill Bates. Glenn Braggs. The Nasty boys. Bill Hatcher's dominance. Jose Rijo.

I was about 25 before I was able to follow the Reds with anything more than the newspaper and Sportscenter. Now I watch about every game with MLB extra innings.

Only been to Cincy once. Went to 3 games a few years ago. I'd like to get back for another Taste of Cincinnati. They still do that I imagine?

High five!

It was the mid-70's when I became "baseball aware" as a wee lad growing up in the bustling metropolis of Huron, SD. The Reds were, of course, very good at that time but people in those parts are Twins fans. Of course, that wouldn't do for me because I always had to be different. My favorite color was red and I kept seeing this really good team on TV called the Reds so I decided that they would be my team. I even entered a Reds-themed drawing at the State Fair featuring a 9th-inning standoff between the Reds and the Twins. Pete was batting, the bases were loaded and the thought bubble I'd drawn on the Twins' pitcher read "I want my mommy!"

Even though my portrayal of events was distinctively "anti-homer", I won a blue ribbon. The rest is history!

I lived in Cincinnati from ages 2 through 10. Then my family moved to South Bend, IN. I kept following the reds.

Huron, SD? Is that in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It was the mid-70's when I became "baseball aware" as a wee lad growing up in the bustling metropolis of Huron, SD. The Reds were, of course, very good at that time but people in those parts are Twins fans. Of course, that wouldn't do for me because I always had to be different. My favorite color was red and I kept seeing this really good team on TV called the Reds so I decided that they would be my team. I even entered a Reds-themed drawing at the State Fair featuring a 9th-inning standoff between the Reds and the Twins. Pete was batting, the bases were loaded and the thought bubble I'd drawn on the Twins' pitcher read "I want my mommy!"

Even though my portrayal of events was distinctively "anti-homer", I won a blue ribbon. The rest is history!

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    and now Chicago (Cubs/Sox) has simply made me more of a Reds fan.
    Love that comment

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I grew up in the Columbus area but haven't lived in Ohio for almost 20 years now. Everyone in my extended family was a Reds fan when I was a kid, so I am too.
    /r/reds

grew up in lima, oh, with the choice of reds, indians, or tigers. dad took me to reds games, i've always liked em since. (parenting lessson: don't let your kids become yankees fans, take them to cincinnati!!) didn't hurt they won the world series when i was in 3rd grade either.

i'm pretty excited to see the reds in san francisco, but not till sept., and they also are in oakland in june, and i'm going to la to see them too in a few weeks

Never lived anywhere other than the Chicago area. Always been a Reds fan. I started watching baseball in the mid '70's, when the Big Red Machine was the team to beat. They were the best team, wore Red (my favorite color) and had Pete Rose. What more could a kid ask for

As a kid, I had been to several Cubs and Sox games, but never really felt connected with the teams. My dad lives and breathes Cubbie blue (poor guy) while most of the rest of the family likes the Sox.

Being a fan of an out of state team was never an easy thing. When they were playing well, you get accused of being on the bandwagon. When they were playing bad, you just get grief or made fun of.

I love the Reds...always have, always will...

Transplanted west sider.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

From NW Ohio (Van Wert). Went to college at Marshall. Now live in Wilmington, NC. Always been a Red's fan. 27 years old.

My family is from Mason and I was born in Cincy. Lived in Norwood for two years before moving to Florida. Moved to Georgia nine years after that. Now just living the dream in Athens. The first baseball game I ever saw was at Riverfront and I'll be a Reds fan forever.
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

I was a Chicago White Sox until I saw my first game at Crosley Field (1963). I saw a rookie second baseman named Pete Rose. I have been a Reds' fan ever since.

I lived in Cincinnati from 1976-1982 and in Athens from 1986-1993.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?