Top Reds Prospects - stock report (non-pitcher)
1. Jay Bruce-OF (Hi A) .1.048 OPS.....age: 20.2....Stock: CAN IT GET HIGHER?....ETA: Sometime in 2008
2. Joey Votto-1B (AAA) .909 OPS.....age: 23.8....Stock: RISING....ETA: Any day
3. Chris Valaika-2B/3B (Low A) .897 OPS.....age: 21.10....Stock: holding steady....ETA: Sept-2008
4. Drew Stubbs-OF (Low A) .794 OPS.....age: 22.7....Stock: holding steady....ETA: 2009
5. Juan Francisco-3B (Low A) .785 OPS.....age: 20.0....Stock: holding steady....ETA: 2010
6. Adam Rosales-UTIL (Hi A) .919 OPS.....age: 24.0....Stock: holding steady....ETA: 2008 (or never)
7. Paul Janish-SS (AA) .776 OPS.....age: 24.8....Stock: slowly rising....ETA: 2008 (or never)
8. Justin Turner-OF (Low A) .866 OPS....age: 22.6....Stock: slowly rising....ETA: 2009/2010
9. Drew Anderson-OF (AA) .834 OPS....age: 24.4....Stock: slowly rising....ETA: 2009 (or never)
10. Cody Strait-OF (AA) .714 OPS.....age: 24.0....Stock: Slow decline....ETA: 2008 (or never)
Milton Loo, Chris Dickerson
New to the list:
Justin Turner, Drew Anderson
Coming on strong (may make next list):
Daniel Dorn...22.10 (.766 OPS - Hi A, 1.030 OPS in 246 PA's at Billings in '06), Chad Heisey...22.6 (.776 OPS - Low A, .762 OPS in 275 PA's at Billings in '06).
1. Joey Votto (AAA) .909 OPS.....age: 23.8....My adopted prospect is now crushing AAA pitching (as predicted) and should join the big club by September or hopefully sooner.
2. Logan Parker (Low A) .637 OPS....age: 22.10....Needs a strong year in Dayton and a move up to Sarasota. Seems to be struggling a bit, at the moment. Ripped it up in his first year last year in rookie ball (Billings) to the tune of a .949 OPS in 277 PA's.
Summary: Not much, but it doesn't take much to move a bat here anyway. Not a position of concern. How about drafting D'Allesio again with one of the 5 early picks?
1. Chris Valaika (Low A) .897 OPS.....age: 21.10....Can rake. Is not a SS. How about 2B or 3B? Either way, he heads up both positions due to his stick. Bat has cooled a tad the past couple weeks. OPS of .907 in 307 PA's last year in Rookie ball (Billings).
2. Drew Anderson (AA) .834 OPS.....age: 24.4....At 24 in AA and with B. Phillips firmly entrenched with the big club for a few more years, there's probably not too much of a future. AAAA ceiling. Now heating up. Has been moved into top 10 list. Go Bucks!
3. Justin Turner (Low-A) .866 OPS.....age: 22.6....See above. As with Anderson, "Red" is on fire and moved into top 10 list. Also now ahead of Griffin on 2B list. OPS of .922 in 261 PA's last year in Rookie ball (Billings).
4. Michael Griffin (Hi-A) .703 OPS.....age: 23.7....Don't know if there is a difference between he and Anderson, other than being at a lower level (although a year younger).
Summary: Where will Valaika end up? 3B or 2B? If he's a 2-bagger, well, a decision will have to be made in Cincy by 2009. B. Phillips may have priced himself out of town by then anyway.
1. Paul Janish (AA) .776 OPS.....age: 24.8....Good glove. Juan Castro-like ceiling. Will he ever try stepping onto the mound? Is his bat finally catching up to his glove? Solid May.
Summary: Ouch. Hopefully we can develop a SS in Latin America or make it a priority in the draft. Who knows, maybe Gonzo can keep it up into his mid-30's.
1. Chris Valaika (Low A) .897 OPS.....age: 21.10
2. Juan Francisco (Low A) .785 OPS.....age: 20.0....Possibly the Johnny Cueto Latin American feel good story of 2007. Exciting future.
3. Adam Rosales (Hi A) .919 OPS.....age: 24.0....This really needs to be his year to have any shot.
Summary: See summary of 2B and replace Phillips with EE. Maybe Francisco makes this 2B/3B decision easier as well.
1. Jay Bruce (Hi A) .1.048 OPS.....age: 20.2....What can I say? This kid is all dat. Prepare for his arrival.
2. Drew Stubbs (Low A) .794 OPS.....age: 22.8....I'm a tad skeptical about the bat, but he's got a bit of everything else that will give him the opportunity. Grady Sizemore-lite ceiling. Don't hate, just a guess. Only put up an OPS of .768 in 251 PA's last year in Rookie ball (Billings).
3. Cody Strait (AA) .714 OPS.....age: 24.0.
4. Chris Dickerson (AAA) .676 OPS (AA), .516 (AAA).....age: 25.1....Just promoted to AAA.
5. Daniel Dorn (Hi A) .766 OPS....age: 22.10....After slow start is heating up in May. Lead team with OPS of 1.030 in 246 PA's last year in Rookie ball (Billings).
6. Chad Heisey (Low A) .806 OPS....age: 22.6....Only had OPS of .762 in 275 PA's last year in hitter friendly Pioneer Rookie League (Billings). Between last year and this year, has pretty much mirrored Stubbs at the plate.
Summary: If Stubbs is the real deal, an OF of Hamilton, Bruce, and Stubbs is looking pretty good by 2008-2009.
1. -Craig Tatum (Hi A) .737 OPS.....age: 24.1....His glove buys him some time. If something better comes along in the meantime, so long.
Summary: Will have to do some homework, but I see nothing right now that excites me. We'll see how Long and Rodriquez do and then have an idea. I think the position should be recognized early this June.