Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cardinals Starting Rotation

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Cardinals Starting Rotation

There was much debate before the season started as to the state of the cardinals rotation vs. the Reds rotation.

Some posters stated that the Cards rotation would be just fine, because, while they had some possible weakness in the 4-5 spots, they had the top 1-3 spots "locked-down" with Carpenter, Wainwright and Reyes.

Now, Crpenter has an ERA of 7.50, but he's been injured. If he healthy he should be just fine. We'll have a better idea tomorrow when we see if he has any swelling from his bullpen session today. If he has swelling, it wouldn't surprise me if he goes under the knife and misses 2 minths +.

Wainwright started off the season getting good results even though his DIPS ERA was always higher. lately though he just piching really bad. his K's are down, his walks are up, and his ERA has now reached 6.14.

Ryes has had 4 starts , 4 losses, with an ERA of 5.73. he's actually looked a little better than that, as he generally has 1 bad inning per game, but it's usually really bad. He's K's quite a few, but gives up lots of HR's.

Wells is 1-4 with an ERA of 4.70. He started off well, but has piched very badly lately. he's also giving up HR's.

Looper has pitched an ERA of 1.91, though he hasn't pitched really that well, with a DIPS ERA of 3.90. There's nothing wrong with that.

Keisler really sucked and is gone. No one knows who will start in his place Tuesday, but it won't be Carpenter. Maybe Hancock or Thompson.

Meanwhile, our worst starter sports a DIPS ERA which would rank 2nd on the Cards rotation (4.53 Milton).

As long as our starting rotation keeps pitching close to this well, we still have a chance. it's always easier to get the offense going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Cardinals Starting Rotation

A chance against St. Louis, yes. However, those aren't your daddy's Milwaukee Brewers.

Editor's Note: Your daddy's Milwaukee Brewers played in the American League.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Editor's Note: Your daddy's Milwaukee Brewers played in the American League.
    ...and they sucked most of the time...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man Pills

Couple of points:

1. Yes, parts of the Cards' rotation are struggling. But their biggest part is hurt.

2. I'm not all that sold on the Brewers.

St. Louis also has a pitching coach with a history of coaxing good performance out of mediocre pitchers.

Adam Wainwright is one of the most overrated pitching prospects I've seen in a while. I said before the season he would fail as a starter. Reyes is also very overrated. Kip Wells is Kip Wells. Carpenter is a great pitcher but he's hurt right now.

The Cardinals are a below average team. Their rotation is bad and the offense is pitiful. The Milwaukee Brewers are far and away the best team in the NL Central.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Adam Wainwright is one of the most overrated pitching prospects I've seen in a while. I said before the season he would fail as a starter. Reyes is also very overrated. Kip Wells is Kip Wells. Carpenter is a great pitcher but he's hurt right now.

The Cardinals are a below average team. Their rotation is bad and the offense is pitiful. The Milwaukee Brewers are far and away the best team in the NL Central.
    The Brewers are riding their offense almost exclusively (it is a very good offense). But their pitching is a huge question mark. After tonight, they have a negative run differential. 107-112. They're not a great team.

Through 24 games, the Reds have allowed 104 runs.

Through 23 games the Cards have allowed 104 runs.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 04-28-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Man Pills

After tonight's win, the Reds offense has scored 100 runs--squarely a middle of the pack offense. At least in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Brewers are riding their offense almost exclusively (it is a very good offense). But their pitching is a huge question mark. After tonight, they have a negative run differential. 107-112. They're not a great team.

Through 24 games, the Reds have allowed 104 runs.

Through 23 games the Cards have allowed 104 runs.
    Starting rotation?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Starting rotation?
    Not sure I understand the question.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

After tonight's win, the Reds offense has scored 100 runs--squarely a middle of the pack offense. At least in the NL.

Gee, those 7 extra runs the Brewers (more than the Reds) have scored make them a very good offensive team.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Gee, those 7 extra runs the Brewers (more than the Reds) have scored make them a very good offensive team.
    They do have a good offense. But if you'll remember correctly, I've been contending for a long time that the Reds' offense isn't the problem with the team. So I didn't drag the Reds' offensive numbers out to denigrate the offense. I happen to think the Brewers' offense is better, but not by a bunch. I think the Reds' and Brewers' pitching staffs are pretty comparable.

And I think the Cards miss Carpenter desperately.

For all the heat Adam Dunn takes he is responsible for 25 of those 100 runs the Reds have scored.

15 runs scored

10 RBI

They do have a good offense. But if you'll remember correctly, I've been contending for a long time that the Reds' offense isn't the problem with the team. So I didn't drag the Reds' offensive numbers out to denigrate the offense. I happen to think the Brewers' offense is better, but not by a bunch. I think the Reds' and Brewers' pitching staffs are pretty comparable.

And I think the Cards miss Carpenter desperately.
    Even with Carpenter healthy, the Cardinals pitching staff still stinks.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I know, just poking fun there. You have been a propenent that the offense is decent, but not great. And I would agree with that.

Even with that, I do think that the offense has more room to improve than they have of declining.

EE should hit, and Ross will be more than absolute trash. I doubt he's much more than a .730-750 OPS type of guy, but he's far better than he's shown. Plus I have really liked Griffey's approach at the plate thus far. I think in the games he does play, he has a chance to be a .900 OPS level guy.

On the flipside, the only spots that I expect a decreased amount of production are from Hamilton and the 1st base combo, but even there I think Hamilton looks like a stud, albeit probably not to the level of his current pace.

Turn Off Ads?