Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anthony Gonzalez

Anthony Gonzalez

I am sure there is a Buckeye fan or two out there. Anyone have any thoughts or insights on Anthony Gonzalez being drafted in the first round by the Indianapolis Colts??? I know conventional wisdom here in Indy was the Colts needed to draft to help that shaky defense but many including myself just sit back and let the the genius GM Bill Polian work his magic and make the picks that in the end look absolutely brilliant!!! Any thoughts???
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Anthony Gonzalez

I think he should be a good fit in that slot receiver role. Good, fast possession receiver.

Not just good and fast, the guy is an extremely smart and heady football player. He comes from a football family, dad played at Michigan, brother played at IU.

I think he's a perfect fit for Indy's slot receiver. The only knock on him coming out of St. Ignatious by Iggie fans was that his hands turned to stone on occasion. We have not seen that at OSU very much. Every once in awhile he'll drop a pass, but it doesn't happen often.

Overall, great pick by the Colts, IMHO.

I just saw his combine video on ESPN. He ran a 4.44 forty, and his hands didn't look bad at all. Overall, he looked pretty good, a lot like Brandon Stokely.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Indy is a perfect system for him. He can be very productive, very quickly.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Indy is a perfect system for him. He can be very productive, very quickly.
    I completely agree.

As for Buckeyes I don't think Gonzalez, Pitcock, or Smith could have hoped for a better situation. I think Gonzalez in particular will be an impact player. He will fill the same role Brandon Stokely did a year or two ago and he will be very good at it. Dude looks like Sloth from the Goonies, but he will be a very good possession receiver for Payton Manning and the Colts. Harrison, Wayne and Gonzalez will be a scary threesome for any defense to stop.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

One of the things I heard about Gonzalez is he is always where he is supposed to be.

Think he and Peyton Manning might mesh??
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    One of the things I heard about Gonzalez is he is always where he is supposed to be.

No matter where you go, there you are.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I love the Gonzalez pick. Like most have said, I think he'll fit in great with our offense.

I do wish that at some point they would have picked a power running back. Maybe there wasn't one available.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Must be like winning the lottery (being a receiver and getting drafted by a team with Peyton Manning at QB)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    It is what it is.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I love the Gonzalez pick. Like most have said, I think he'll fit in great with our offense.

I do wish that at some point they would have picked a power running back. Maybe there wasn't one available.
    Kenny Irons was sitting there when the Colts made the Gonzalez pick.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Gonzo is in one of the best situations that he can be. He is an ideal #3 reciever who may be able to play #2 at some point in his career. He is a very good route runner and makes a lot of difficult catches. He did have trouble when he was the primary reciever and was unable to exploit his speed with deep routes. I question indy's decision to make this pick. Their offense isn't the problem and lost quite a bit on the defensive side of the ball. They used a first rounder to draft a guy who at best can play a #2 reciever. But I guess when you are the defending super bowl champs you can do whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Gonzo is in one of the best situations that he can be. He is an ideal #3 reciever who may be able to play #2 at some point in his career. He is a very good route runner and makes a lot of difficult catches. He did have trouble when he was the primary reciever and was unable to exploit his speed with deep routes. I question indy's decision to make this pick. Their offense isn't the problem and lost quite a bit on the defensive side of the ball. They used a first rounder to draft a guy who at best can play a #2 reciever. But I guess when you are the defending super bowl champs you can do whatever you want.
    I'm a Colts fan and I'm excited and glad that they picked Gonzo. He's going to thrive in the Colts offense. The Colts have had success developing linebackers in the past and I think Freddy Keiaho will be able to step in and fill Cato June's shoes. Keiaho is a big time athlete. They lost David and Harper, their two starting corners, so I was a little surprised that they didn't go for a corner in round two, but they got a corner in round 3 that was projected to be a round 1 pick until a bad 40 time due to a tight hamstring in Daymeion Hughes. They also grabbed Michael Coe from Alabama in round 5. Marlin Jackson played a lot at corner last year and will have to take a full-time position there this year. Someone will have to step up to fill the other corner spot. Michael Doss left as a safety, but the emergence of Antoine Bethea after Doss tore his ACL eliminates that need.

The only sketchy move that they made in the draft IMO was trading next year's first round pick to get Tony Ugoh in the second round. It makes sense to me when I think about him as a replacement for the aging and high paid Tarik Glenn though. They'll probably let Glenn go next year to free up a lot of salary room and have Ugoh take over protecting Manning's blind side.

Bill Polian has a very good track record when it comes to picking first and second rounders in the past, and I think this draft will continue to prove how great he is at doing what he does.

I heard more than a few recruiting "experts" opin about Gonzalez and how he "has great hands and knows where to be."

His athleticism is amazing and completely underrated. Wonder why that continues to be missed?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?