Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: Reds @ Pirates 4/29/07

Re: Reds @ Pirates 4/29/07

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    More good news to go along with the Reds win today - Jay Bruce went 4-for-5 today with a HR, double, and two singles. That kid can hit.

Josh Hamilton had a rough series but he'll bounce back. I can't believe Marty is already questioning his ability. Nevermind, yes I can. It's Marty.
    There is certainly the makings of an exciting young OF in 2009. Bruce could even see a cup of coffee late 2008 at this rate. He has done nothing but hit everywhere he's been. Hamilton in left, Stubbs in center, Bruce in right, Dunn raking in free agent bucks in Houston

2. Turn Off Ads?

I haven't read the thread, but we almost had an everyday lineup I could live with today, except I want Dunn hitting cleanup and Conine behind him against lefties. Those two balls EE hit Friday night were previews as I suspected. He ended up crushing the ball all series. I say he pops a few into the Crawford boxes the next three days.

Harang, next time you pitch against the Pirates, put some first pitches in the dirt if you have to. They have dinged him in two of two starts and most of it has been because he fits their hacking gameplan. Of course, some of it was poor quality get ahead strikes biting him, but I think he just needs to miss big a few times on the first pitch against the Buccos.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Josh Hamilton had a rough series but he'll bounce back. I can't believe Marty is already questioning his ability. Nevermind, yes I can. It's Marty.
    You've got to be kidding me.

No player, especially in the game of baseball, is going to be top-notch every game or even every series... he's in a mini slump; it happens to the best of them. You'd think he'd know that by now.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 04-29-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Players run hot and cold. That's baseball. But few players run as hot or as cold as Alex Gonzalez.

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

As I'm reading through the game thread I was really surprised to see that people honestly thought the game was over after the Pirates 4-1 lead. Even with the Reds offense slumping you know that the potential for a big inning is always there with this lineup. (as prooven the last two days) Everyone was comparing Mahalom to Cy Young through the first two innings. I think young pitchers like Mahalom struggle the 2nd and 3rd times through the lineup and give the Reds hitters credit for making some adjustments and being more aggresive early in the counts. (something the Pirates had great success with today against Harrang) I don't often read the game threads all the way through but after reading all 28 pages of this one I would just remind everybody that baseball is a long game and with this Reds offense we are never out of it and I would never leave a game or turn off the TV early with this club! Go Reds!
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

Josh just needs a rest he hasn't played in years, I am sure he is showing some fatigue from the everyday grind of the schedule. I would give him a night off soon and have him out fresh again the next game.

Days off are good for each of them I think.

I have been surprised that they hit Hamilton 1-4 so much considering his lack of experience at this level of play to begin with.

He has to go through the ups and downs to learn, I think that some bad days will help him and remind him that baseball really is not as easy a game to play as it has appeared so far for Hamilton. He should be all right.

Just read the entire thread after getting home from the game. Some observations:

Aaron Harang did not have his best stuff today, but he settled down after the second and third innings to be effective. As they say about good pitchers, "Get 'em early, or don't get 'em at all." He is definitely developing into a legitimate #1 pitcher.

Adam Dunn, Edwin Encarnacion, and Brandon Phillips are waking up. It's good to see them in the middle of scoring rallies.

I have been very pleased with Alex Gonzalez, both defensively (which I expected) and offensively (which I didn't). I do think that his average will eventually come down into the .250-.260 range, but I could see him providing a little more pop than people expected.

I think that Josh Hamilton is a little fatigued, and could probably use a rest. But he will be fine in the long run. It would help if Griffey is ready to play in Houston, but if he isn't, I wouldn't mind seeing Hamilton get a day off Wednesday against the lefty Wandy Rodriguez. In that case, either start Norris Hopper in RF, or play Jeff Conine in RF (one game only!) and start Scott Hatteberg at 1B.

PNC Park, as always, is a beautiful and friendly place to see a game. I'm looking forward to going back in August.

Congratulations to Adam Dunn, who passed Eric Davis and moved into sole possession of sixth place on the Reds' all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds All-Time Home Run Leaders
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    5. George Foster - 244
    6. Adam Dunn - 204
    7. Eric Davis - 203
    8. Barry Larkin - 198
    9. Vada Pinson - 186
    10. Wally Post - 172
    11. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 166
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Reggie Sanders - 125
    18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    19. Sean Casey - 118
    20. Frank McCormick - 110
    21. Dave Parker - 107
    22. Chris Sabo - 104
    23. Dave Concepcion - 101
    24. Gordy Coleman - 98
    25. Paul O'Neill - 96
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Why do people have a problem with Marty?He sounds like 90%
    of us posters here.
    Because Thousands of fans hear Marty and take every word out of his mouth to be a fact.

Nobody pays any attention to us.

WOO HOO!!!!!

We're great again!!!!

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Why do people have a problem with Marty?He sounds like 90%
    of us posters here.

You have to remember that Marty, Sparky and Lou trained most of us. Marty tosses words, Sparky tossed food tables, and Lou tossed bases etc. and then there was Woody Hayes, better leave him out of it.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-29-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    WOO HOO!!!!!

We're great again!!!!

How about now?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    and Lou tossed bases etc.
    and Dibbles or was that the "etc"

After Edwins Bases loaded triple today he is...

13-for-25 with 35 RBI with the bases loaded in his Reds career.

As long as our hitters do well we should continue to win most of our series with our starting pitching

Turn Off Ads?