Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why things happen

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Why things happen

You should always check your biorhythm chart before doing anything!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

All I know is I never agreed with Neil Young who sang "It's better to burn out then fade away." Lennon once responded "If you believe that, then why haven't you done it?"

And for a long time, Townsend wouldn't sing the lyrics from My Generation "Hope I die before I get old."

Ahh youth. What little we knew and understood back then. I simply laugh within myself when my teens seem to think they know it all and think we adults are so naive.

Life comes at you full circle. Think about it.... you're born in diapers, with no teeth, while babbling and drooling all over yourself. And that's pretty much how you end up at the end of your life too.

Thank God life isn't like in those Final Destination movies where one cheats death, who then somehow cops an attitude and comes after you.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I don't believe in destiny. You are in control of your life, act accordingly.

GL

Supreme Jar Opener

a little bit of fate... a little bit of luck... a few fortunate mistakes, and the occasional unfortunate blessing... yes I meant to say it that way...

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    If you've read any Castenada, you might be familiar with a concept he discussed with Don Juan.

"Using death as an advisor".

Basically, it's imagining that today would be your last day on earth, and you know it.

How differently we'd approach each passing moment. There would be no time for petty moods. No time for inconsequential arguments over material things. No time for all the trappings of modern society which get in our way, each and every day.

There would only be time for the essence of life. Our relationships with our loved ones. Our spiritual lives, or lack thereof.

How powerful it would be to live life like that. The only thing we really have any control over is the "now". Worrying about the future or agonizing over the past disappears.

The next time you want to blow your horn at someone in traffic or get angry at someone's petty or ignorant actions, use death as your advisor. I'll bet your mood changes immediately.
    Wonderful post RFS..I've read your words a number of times admiring that advice...

I'm a pretty easy going guy and I have no patience for people who get into these stupid arguments over nothing or worry about petty things. I'm like that today because of one event. Back in high school, my friends and myself were good friends with this group of girls. To make a long story short, one of my friends said something stupid to one of the girls and it turned into this ridiculous argument and none of us spoke to those girls again. About six months later, I picked up the newspaper in the morning and found that one of those girls had died in a car accident. I was shocked, rereading the words hoping that I would wake up from an awful nightmare. But it didn't change the outcome and I was extremely upset at myself for allowing a stupid argument ruin a friendship. And now that friend was gone. I've never been the same since...

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I don't believe in destiny. You are in control of your life, act accordingly.

GL
    I agree. I don't think smokers are predetermined at birth to die sooner than non smokers. We are given great latitudes by our Creator and we live with those consequences.

What happened to Josh Hancock is tragic but it sounds like it happened because he wasn't paying attention. This tragedy was well within his control. Shows just how important it is to keep your wits about you at all times when getting behind a wheel.

Freewill?

You can choose not to decide, and still have made a choice.
    -N. Peart

I am familiar with causal determinism, and I don't particularly buy it. I actually had a rather lengthy message board discussion with someone else about this awhile back.

Which shows what a fun guy I am to be around...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Grand Unified Theory is a waste of time. So is String Theory. If physicists wish to study something important they should spend more time researching Sock Theory. I would be willing to wager they would find time warps, worm holes and all sorts of passages to alternate universes inside dryers. That is the only rational explanation to all the socks that end up missing. The scary part is that if someone was brave enough to enter my dryer and travel through one of those esoteric passageways, they would stumble upon a middle-aged, overweight, slightly balding Reds fan who was wearing one black sock and one blue sock and who looks a lot like me. Talk about your final frontier.

Just throwing out some what if scenarios here.

What would have happened if Carl Lindner was still the Reds owner today? Would O'Brien still be the GM?

What would have happened if Wayne Krivsky was hired over Dan O'Brien under Lindner?

What would have happened if Jim Beattie was hired over Wayne Krivsky under Castellini? Would Jim have released Josh?

What would have have happened if Todd Jones wasn't released by the Devil Rays and then signed with Reds to be traded for Josh in 2004? Would Josh still be in Philly instead of going to the Reds and then the Cardinals?

What would have happened if Josh wouldn't have shown up to Spring Training last year overweight for the Reds to then be released and signed with St. Louis?
    Last edited by harangatang; 04-30-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    What would have happened if Josh wouldn't have shown up to Spring Training last year overweight for the Reds to then be released and signed with St. Louis?
    I really believe he would still be alive today. Would he be a Red? Who knows, but he would not have been cut by the Reds so soon, if he pitched the same for the Reds as he did the Cards, he would have been on the roster all year for the Reds. If he got cut late in Spring Training 2006, the odds are he would of been picked up by another team other than St. Louis, because they would of invited another pitcher to their Spring Training.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?