Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential 2nd PTBNL from Denorfia trade?

Potential 2nd PTBNL from Denorfia trade?

I posted this in the original Deno trade thread, but I'm guessing most people are sick of rummaging through it, so I thought this was worth it's own discussion:

One player that makes sense for the other PTBNL is Danny Putnam.

Now I reason this based on how strange the PTBNL seems to be in this occurence. We know the player is near major league ready, but still isn't going to be traded right now.

The fact that the player is close to being ready seems to cancel out the chance of a draft pick, and the Athletics players currently injured don't seem like logical candidates based on already being major league ready or their contract status.

So to me, it's most logically a player that the Athletics currently have a use for, and that the Reds wouldn't.

Now the Athletics currently have Milton Bradley and Mark Kotsay injured which forced them to call up Danny Putnam due to their lack of depth. My guess is that Putnam goes down when Bradley comes back in the next 3 or so weeks, but the Athletics would still be thin on OF depth which would explain why they would want to hold on to Putnam for now.

So my guess is the transaction goes down when Kotsay comes back from injury (approximately mid June). Krivsky did say that he expects the other player to be announced sometime during the summer whih does coincide with Kotsay coming back from injury.

Putnam would fit Krivsky's description of being close to major league ready. We know the player is a prospect of some assortment. Putnam is in the majors right now, but he's not really ready, but is fairly close.

As the Reds don't have a use for Putnam right now, and he's likely to spend most of his time in the minors anyway, Krivsky probably doesn't mind Putnam staying on the major league roster for the Athletics for the time being. I think McBeth was named for the reason that the Reds had a more potential use for him right now while the Athletics didn't, unlike Putnam.

IMO, Putnam is the only player that makes sense as the PTBNL. There is obviously an abnormal reason as to why the player has not been named yet and the Athletics OF situation right now is very shaky. Putnam is also the A's only OF prospect that really qualifies as being near major league ready.

In Putnam, the Reds would get a 25 year old corner outfielder. he's not very good defensively, and his bat doesn't profile to be good enough to play everyday as a corner outfielder.

He's fairly disciplined. 55-65 BB's per season should be expected out of him while also not striking out an enormous rate. Shows mediocre power (around 15-20 homer potential). In all, his bat profiles as a pretty similar overall package to Deno. Not quite the on base ability, but probably a little better power.

Here's his career minor league stats:
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...y-Putnam.shtml

The big downgrade is the defense. Deno can play a very solid CF, while Putnam is below average, even in LF. He compares favorably to a Gabe Gross.

I'm probably looking too much into this, but I think he's the most logical bet. If true, the trade would be adding McBeth for a downgrade in the OF. the Reds already have CF candidates in Freel and Hamilton which would make Denorfia's strong ability there unneccessary in Cincy, while the Reds would still add some good OF depth in Putnam as a really strong bench player down the road. If true, I think this would be a worthwhile trade for the Reds where the upgrade in pitching far outweighs what is lost in the OF.

Can anyone think of other logical candidates based on clues that Krivsky has given?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential 2nd PTBNL from Denorfia trade?

Your logic on Putnam makes sense. Another possibility is some one who is hurt right now (Halsey?).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

New theory.

A's acquired Ryan Langerhans today. When all the players get healthy they'll have a roster problem with Kotsay, Bradley, Swisher, Langerhans, Buck and Kielty.

Maybe Kielty is the RH Bat (switch hitter actually). The A's dump part of his $2 Million Salary with the Reds getting some relief (the reason for the cash in the Deno deal). I know Krivsky said guys almost ready but maybe that was just McBeth.

Kielty started his career in Min.

Hmmm?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    New theory.

A's acquired Ryan Langerhans today. When all the players get healthy they'll have a roster problem with Kotsay, Bradley, Swisher, Langerhans, Buck and Kielty.

Maybe Kielty is the RH Bat (switch hitter actually). The A's dump part of his $2 Million Salary with the Reds getting some relief (the reason for the cash in the Deno deal). I know Krivsky said guys almost ready but maybe that was just McBeth.

Kielty started his career in Min.

Hmmm?
    Interesting theory.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Recovering Cubs Fan

A righty bat would make a bit more sense, I think.

Good thinking.

Sorry if I've missed this, I've been pretty busy, but does anyone think the PTBNL is just the rights to Jared Burton?

According to what i've read, McBeth seems to be a pretty decent prospect. Him, along with cash is a pretty fair deal for Denorfia who wasn't that highly regarded. I just thought that it was Burton right off the bat, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    A righty bat would make a bit more sense, I think.
    Javier Herrera. Nuff said. Aim high Reds fans!

one can wish right?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Good thinking.

Sorry if I've missed this, I've been pretty busy, but does anyone think the PTBNL is just the rights to Jared Burton?

According to what i've read, McBeth seems to be a pretty decent prospect. Him, along with cash is a pretty fair deal for Denorfia who wasn't that highly regarded. I just thought that it was Burton right off the bat, but who knows?
    Krivisky said it wasn't burton.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post

No. WK has already ruled that out, as he'd first have to clear waivers. Burton is already Reds property.

Okay, thanks. Wasn't sure about that.

Do the A's have any expendable MIFers? What about a 3rd catcher for us?

I thought a PTBNL could not be on the major league roster?
    Last edited by BearcatShane; 04-30-2007 at 01:18 AM.

He said he was close to major league ready not major league.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

I was just ruling out Kielty with my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I thought a PTBNL could not be on the major league roster?
    A PTBNL can be anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Maybe that was in reference to McBeth. We may be reading too much into that comment. Maybe close to ready means close to ready to come off the DL or off a rehab assignment (which wouldn't be Kielty).
    Last edited by mth123; 04-30-2007 at 05:41 AM.

Turn Off Ads?