Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What Grade do You Give the Bengals

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. In Marvin We Trust.

    7 12.96%
  • B. Best Player Available, but could have done better.

    21 38.89%
  • C. I can live with this draft, but Marvin better be making some changes in the future.

    19 35.19%
  • D. This draft was bad, but I can stomach it.

    6 11.11%
  • F. Fire Marvin Now!

    1 1.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Grade the Bengals Draft

  1. #1
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Grade the Bengals Draft

    Title says it all.

    I'm going with B. For the value of the picks, you can't criticize Marvin. Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph, and Madieu Williams is going to make up a very lights out secondary hopefully by the end of the year. I wasn't too thrilled with the Irons pick at first, but with the average lifespan of running backs in the league, it may be time to consider life after Rudi. However, I think Ahmad Brooks in the third round is better than anybody who was available at that time.

    While I give all the praise, the Bengals did not address the front seven until the seventh round unless you count Ahmad Brooks, and he was there last year. The team will be significantly better next year because of the schedule, but as Cedric said in the NFL Draft thread, they will not win many games in the playoffs.

    A for the value of the picks, C for not filling needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,337

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    I'm saying C, because the team has done very little to shore up the defensive front seven. Even assuming status quo on offense, this team is likely to be top 6 in yardage and points. Addressing the third-worst defense in the NFL should have been priority 1, 2, and 3, and the club has not acquired a single difference-maker in free agency and did not improve the front seven at all in the draft.

    All in all, the Bengals continue to have a nice little team but with the strides forward Baltimore and New England have made, they are as far from the Super Bowl as they were in Marvin's first year.

  4. #3
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,392

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Until the Bengals shore up their defensive front four they are just pretenders. It's something Marvin Lewis refuses to adress in the draft.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  5. #4
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Until the Bengals shore up their defensive front four they are just pretenders. It's something Marvin Lewis refuses to adress in the draft.
    Who did you want them to take? Jarvis Moss was taken right before them in round 1, and Woodley and Harris in round 2.

    They got a guy widely viewed as top ten quality at 18. That's great value. You HAVE to take him. There were no highly rated defensive guys left when they picked Irons. Ahmad Brooks was their 3rd round pick, with 1st round potential and a year of experience... Then come round 4 you start taking the best player available on your board.

    And I'm not sure you mean by refusing to address the front seven in the draft. Pollack, Thurman, Geathers, Brooks, I might be missing one or two. Some picks work out, some don't for various reasons. To say he refuses to addresses it is kinda silly IMO.

    BTW, I gave this draft a B. They obviously believe the QB they took will be a good backup in a year, and I like the saftey they got, too. Sort of ho-hum, but I think 2, 3, 4 years down the road this will be a solid class for them.
    Last edited by guttle11; 04-29-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  6. #5
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,877

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    It's something Marvin Lewis refuses to adress in the draft.
    Or in free agency.

    Or by trades.

  7. #6
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    I honestly don't know.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  8. #7
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    I gave it a D. I'm not a Leon Hall fan, he got torched in big games last year. The Kenny Irons pick was absurd. Terrible first day. Maybe something will come of the second day guys to salvage this draft, but at first glance it looks to be Lewis' worst draft as coach.

  9. #8
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,392

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Who did you want them to take? Jarvis Moss was taken right before them in round 1, and Woodley and Harris in round 2.

    They got a guy widely viewed as top ten quality at 18. That's great value. You HAVE to take him. There were no highly rated defensive guys left when they picked Irons. Ahmad Brooks was their 3rd round pick, with 1st round potential and a year of experience... Then come round 4 you start taking the best player available on your board.

    And I'm not sure you mean by refusing to address the front seven in the draft. Pollack, Thurman, Geathers, Brooks, I might be missing one or two. Some picks work out, some don't for various reasons. To say he refuses to addresses it is kinda silly IMO.

    BTW, I gave this draft a B. They obviously believe the QB they took will be a good backup in a year, and I like the saftey they got, too. Sort of ho-hum, but I think 2, 3, 4 years down the road this will be a solid class for them.
    I said front four. I couldn't care less about linebackers. They are a dime a dozen in this league.

    Pollack, Thurman, and Brooks were all LB's. Geathers was a 6th round pick and a lucky hit.

    Marvin refuses to upgrade the most important position on his defense and I have no clear idea why.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  10. #9
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    I'm a C- rater.

    Hall I like, nothing else do I like though

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  11. #10
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I said front four. I couldn't care less about linebackers. They are a dime a dozen in this league.

    Pollack, Thurman, and Brooks were all LB's. Geathers was a 6th round pick and a lucky hit.

    Marvin refuses to upgrade the most important position on his defense and I have no clear idea why.
    Upgrade with whom?

    Geathers a lucky hit? To quote Ozzie Guillen, "please."

  12. #11
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,251

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    I think they did well. Marvin's been pretty good at spotting talent in the upper rounds, even if it did come with character or injury problems. The character issues could have been avoided, but you can't predict injuries. I suspect everyone drafted on the second day were more likely special teams picks. As far as not addressing the DLine. I would have liked to have seen them pick up a DL, but if there isn't a quality guy available at their pick, I'd rather they didn't reach for a guy they weren't sold on just to fill a need. That's how busts are made.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,337

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    [QUOTE=Yachtzee;1324501I would have liked to have seen them pick up a DL, but if there isn't a quality guy available at their pick, I'd rather they didn't reach for a guy they weren't sold on just to fill a need. That's how busts are made.[/QUOTE]

    Marvin was discussing the Irons pick the other day and noted that Harris and Woodley, two guys they "coveted", were off the board by the time that the Bengals picked, so they had no real choice.

    Successful franchises don't make those excuses--they either put together a creative solution to move up to get the guy they covet, or they trade down and focus their energies on depth. The way NE has rebuilt their WR corps this year is a textbook example of how a good franchise addresses an obvious deficiency.

    The Bengals, as of yet, have not improved the 30th ranked defense in the NFL, a defense that has been directly responsible for their shortcomings down the stretch the past two seasons. When you have a porous D-line, it makes everyone's job harder. Extending Geathers and signing Smith is a start, but it still doesn't address the fact that our defensive tackles are among the worst in the league. Signing Michael Myers doesn't change that. They needed to cut Thornton and pursue the best DT talent available, whether through FA or the draft. They didn't do so.

    As of right now, with Bresnahan running the defense and terrible DTs, I see nothing to convince me that our defense will be anything even approaching average next year.

  14. #13
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,392

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Upgrade with whom?

    Geathers a lucky hit? To quote Ozzie Guillen, "please."
    Over the years they have had countless chances to upgrade the front four and he hasn't yet. It's the most important position on the field and yet he goes for Carl Powell and Bryan Robinson type players. Just dumb, IMO.

    How is drafting someone in the 6th round not a lucky hit? Marvin has shown over the years that he doesn't value the front four like he should.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  15. #14
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,392

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Marvin was discussing the Irons pick the other day and noted that Harris and Woodley, two guys they "coveted", were off the board by the time that the Bengals picked, so they had no real choice.

    Successful franchises don't make those excuses--they either put together a creative solution to move up to get the guy they covet, or they trade down and focus their energies on depth. The way NE has rebuilt their WR corps this year is a textbook example of how a good franchise addresses an obvious deficiency.

    The Bengals, as of yet, have not improved the 30th ranked defense in the NFL, a defense that has been directly responsible for their shortcomings down the stretch the past two seasons. When you have a porous D-line, it makes everyone's job harder. Extending Geathers and signing Smith is a start, but it still doesn't address the fact that our defensive tackles are among the worst in the league. Signing Michael Myers doesn't change that. They needed to cut Thornton and pursue the best DT talent available, whether through FA or the draft. They didn't do so.

    As of right now, with Bresnahan running the defense and terrible DTs, I see nothing to convince me that our defense will be anything even approaching average next year.
    Dead on. The excuses are getting old. Without a major trade the Bengals cannot compete with this Dline. The window in this league is VERY small and the Bengals are letting it slip because of excuse after excuse.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  16. #15
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I said front four. I couldn't care less about linebackers. They are a dime a dozen in this league.

    Pollack, Thurman, and Brooks were all LB's. Geathers was a 6th round pick and a lucky hit.

    Marvin refuses to upgrade the most important position on his defense and I have no clear idea why.
    He doesn't try to improve the line, yet Geathers was a "lucky" hit. You're not thinking clearly for some reason. That makes no sense. Was Geathers assigned to them or something? Using your logic, Carson Palmer was a "lucky hit". Marvin scouted and drafted Geathers because he knew he could play.

    Just saying "front four" is flawed. The thing they lack most is a pass rush, which includes linebackers and defensive ends for the most part. The ends were fine last year. The tacles were eating blockers, they were just playing with backup and/or hurt LBs. But Marvin doesn't try...right.

    Pollack and Thurman were developing into well above average players, but have been forced off the field due to issues out of anyone's control (except for Thurman himself). Brooks should have been in college last year, but I'm guessing he learned a lot. Time will tell if he's good enough.
    Last edited by guttle11; 04-29-2007 at 10:20 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25