Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What Grade do You Give the Bengals

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. In Marvin We Trust.

7 12.96%
  • B. Best Player Available, but could have done better.

21 38.89%
  • C. I can live with this draft, but Marvin better be making some changes in the future.

19 35.19%
  • D. This draft was bad, but I can stomach it.

6 11.11%
  • F. Fire Marvin Now!

1 1.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grade the Bengals Draft

Re: Grade the Bengals Draft

I think what this means is the Bengals believe;
    A. Sam Adams is healthy
    B. Chris Perry is not

If Adams is healthy and semi productive, then I'm not too upset with the D-line.
    The linebackers will be better with experience.
    The secondary will be very good.

In 2001, the Colts absolutely needed to draft a cornerback. Their defense was awful. They took Reggie Wayne even though they were absolutely set on Offense. And well you know his story.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    He doesn't try to improve the line, yet Geathers was a "lucky" hit. You're not thinking clearly for some reason. That makes no sense. Was Geathers assigned to them or something? Using your logic, Carson Palmer was a "lucky hit". Marvin scouted and drafted Geathers because he knew he could play.

Just saying "front four" is flawed. The thing they lack most is a pass rush, which includes linebackers and defensive ends for the most part. The ends were fine last year. The tacles were eating blockers, they were just playing with backup and/or hurt LBs. But Marvin doesn't try...right.

Pollack and Thurman were developing into well above average players, but have been forced off the field due to issues out of anyone's control (except for Thurman himself). Brooks should have been in college last year, but I'm guessing he learned a lot. Time will tell if he's good enough.
    You generate a pass rush with the front four. Without collapsing the pocket inside or having a speed rushing DE you won't win.

And Geathers was a 6th round pick. He has never approached the front four in the draft like he should, IMO. That was my whole point.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    You generate a pass rush with the front four. Without collapsing the pocket inside or having a speed rushing DE you won't win.

And Geathers was a 6th round pick. He has never approached the front four in the draft like he should, IMO. That was my whole point.
    Geathers was a 4th round pick (#117).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2004#round4

Well, the draft is a crap shoot. Everyone, including myself, tends to view it on a micro level when it really should be viewed on a macro level.

The reason I like the Hall pick is that you pair him on the same side as Madieu (a pretty good CFer safety) and effectively shut down a deep threat. I think Hall is the jamming CB this team has lacked for as long as I can remember. On the other side you put the cover corner in Joseph with Jackson, which will allow Dexter to step up in the box quite a bit more to aid in the run and slot routes. I don't know much about the saftey they got in the 4th round, but it seems like he's a hard hitter. Hopefully Dexter can mentor him.

And they are very high on Peko, who showed flashes of being a good DT. My guess is that they expect him to take a leap forward this year.
    Last edited by guttle11; 04-29-2007 at 10:39 PM.

I don't know enough about football to vote, but from what i've read, I think it is a pretty good pick (the 1st round) simply because he was top 10 talent that fell to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I gave it a D.

I agree. D it is.

I'm fine with Hall. He can be a nickel CB this year and grow into a bigger role.

Picking a RB and a QB were stupid. Irons was not a steal at #2. It's not like a 1st rounder fell to the second. RBs and backup QBs can be picked up later and in free agency. No one ever projects Irons as an every down back in the NFL.

Put it this way: The only players drafted who project to possibly being a starter in this league is Hall and Ahmad Brooks. That's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree. D it is.

I'm fine with Hall. He can be a nickel CB this year and grow into a bigger role.

Picking a RB and a QB were stupid. Irons was not a steal at #2. It's not like a 1st rounder fell to the second. RBs and backup QBs can be picked up later and in free agency. No one ever projects Irons as an every down back in the NFL.

Put it this way: The only players drafted who project to possibly being a starter in this league is Hall and Ahmad Brooks. That's not good.
    I got the impression that the Irons pick means that they aren't counting on Perry and they realize that Rudi is more effective when they have a change of pace back to run to the outside.

For all this talk about the DLine, I thought Peko and Adams worked pretty well with Smith and Geathers, and that's with Adams having injury problems. They do lack depth, but I thought a lot of the issues they had were as a result of a depleted LB corps. I think the failure to address it in the draft may mean they expect guys coming back from injury to produce and possibly a deal with Ed Hartwell. What should be promising is that the Hall pick means that the Bengals have what draftniks have said is a shutdown-level corner to complement Joseph. If Deltha O'Neal doesn't return to the form he displayed his first year with the Bengals, it might not be the problem it was this past season. With Jackson and Williams, the secondary might not only be formidable, but also might be good at stopping the run.

I don't see them becoming a top-10 defense, but I think if they could at least improve to top half of the league, the offense with a Carson Palmer 1 more year removed from his injury is potent enough to carry the team to the playoffs.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I said front four. I couldn't care less about linebackers. They are a dime a dozen in this league.

Pollack, Thurman, and Brooks were all LB's. Geathers was a 6th round pick and a lucky hit.

Marvin refuses to upgrade the most important position on his defense and I have no clear idea why.

totally agree, if linebackers are making tackles on runningbacks, they have already gained 5 yards. To not even try and move up in the draft, or get a free agent signing is horrible. The front four is responsible for the pass rush and making tackles on runningbacks before they gain over 3 yards. Teams will continue to pass for over 300 yards and gain 120 on the ground until this problem is addressed.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    totally agree, if linebackers are making tackles on runningbacks, they have already gained 5 yards. To not even try and move up in the draft, or get a free agent signing is horrible. The front four is responsible for the pass rush and making tackles on runningbacks before they gain over 3 yards. Teams will continue to pass for over 300 yards and gain 120 on the ground until this problem is addressed.
    Actually, I thought many systems used the DL to engage the OL and LBs to step up into the holes at the line. Now if you had said if the FS is making a tackle on RBs, they've already gained 5 yards, I'm right there with you. But LBs are typicall up "in the box" to stuff runs at the line of scrimmage.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Look at New England and they give you the blue print. I guarantee a guy like Tory James will shine in that defense. He has good ball skills and instincts. They don't care about amazing athletes in their secondary because their seven are so dominant.

Seymour and Wilfork in the 3-4 just dominate. Hell guys like Artrell Hawkins can win super bowls.

I give it a B-. I really like the Hall pick considering he slipped quite a bit and given the short amount to time it them to get the pick in. The Irons pick is a little suprising but I think it gives them the home run threat that they have been missing for a while in the backfield. It also may spell the end of Rudi in cincy because the have been rumors that Rudi is not a good locker room guy (suspended for the start of the SD game last year). Hopefull the Safety they took in the 4th round can pan out. Marvin loves guys who have a great deal of upside who he can develop. White may be groomed to take over after Dexter departs. I am ok with them drafting a QB in the 5th because it will save them some cap room because they dont have to sign a backup. With the later picks you hope they find a diamond in the rough. It sounds like the ND S can be a special teams performer which will help. Overall this was a decent draft.

Solid, not sexy. The Bengals lacked the resources in this years' draft to really move up or down in the early rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I give it a B-. I really like the Hall pick considering he slipped quite a bit and given the short amount to time it them to get the pick in. The Irons pick is a little suprising but I think it gives them the home run threat that they have been missing for a while in the backfield. It also may spell the end of Rudi in cincy because the have been rumors that Rudi is not a good locker room guy (suspended for the start of the SD game last year). Hopefull the Safety they took in the 4th round can pan out. Marvin loves guys who have a great deal of upside who he can develop. White may be groomed to take over after Dexter departs. I am ok with them drafting a QB in the 5th because it will save them some cap room because they dont have to sign a backup. With the later picks you hope they find a diamond in the rough. It sounds like the ND S can be a special teams performer which will help. Overall this was a decent draft.
    Rudi was suspended for a series to start the game because he was late to a meeting. He is well-liked and is one of the hardest workers on that team.

Rudi does need a compliment though and Perry is not reliable.

I had no problem with them picking a Rb in the 2nd (anyone who was suprised by that doesn't follow the team closely enough I think). I was suprised by them taking Irons though.

I think they reached for both Irons and Rowe. Heck I would've been happy with Cincy native turned Gator Wynn at RB in the 4th or 5th.

I do trust Jim Anderson to scout and develop RB's though, so will trust their judgement on Irons.

Irons is only projected to be a 3rd down back or 10-15 carry back in the NFL - he's under-sized, injury prone and doesn't have tested hands or receiving abilities.

That's why I think they reached for him - but we'll see.

Justin Smith and Geathers' salaries are the reason they can't afford a DT. With all of the picks they'll get next year in compensation (a bunch - one or two as high as the 3rd as well) they will be in a good position to get creative.

But we all know how that is with the status quo Bengals' front office.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Rudi was suspended for a series to start the game because he was late to a meeting. He is well-liked and is one of the hardest workers on that team.

Rudi does need a compliment though and Perry is not reliable.

I had no problem with them picking a Rb in the 2nd (anyone who was suprised by that doesn't follow the team closely enough I think). I was suprised by them taking Irons though.

I think they reached for both Irons and Rowe. Heck I would've been happy with Cincy native turned Gator Wynn at RB in the 4th or 5th.

I do trust Jim Anderson to scout and develop RB's though, so will trust their judgement on Irons.

Irons is only projected to be a 3rd down back or 10-15 carry back in the NFL - he's under-sized, injury prone and doesn't have tested hands or receiving abilities.

That's why I think they reached for him - but we'll see.

Justin Smith and Geathers' salaries are the reason they can't afford a DT. With all of the picks they'll get next year in compensation (a bunch - one or two as high as the 3rd as well) they will be in a good position to get creative.

But we all know how that is with the status quo Bengals' front office.
    What happened the other time Jim Anderson was sold on an injury prone RB?

Turn Off Ads?