Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monday 4-30 minor league updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Monday 4-30 minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Juan Francisco singles to end his 0-for-7 skid. And with that I now have 10,000 posts!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice start for Marcus McBeth: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, K

Pedro Viola relieves Webb and gives up a solo HR to end the no-no bid.

Webb: 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K...he's pitched very well since moving into the rotation.

Jay Bruce will become the first Red win to an MVP award since Barry Larkin (unless Josh Hamilton does it first).
    A nice righty power bat would be a good move in this upcoming draft.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    if he pans out.

Yep. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Matt LaPorta.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    if he pans out.
    If who pans out?

If who pans out?
    a right handed bat that you draft.

a right handed bat that you draft.
    Of course...but not seeing your point. Any draft pick who pans out would be nice.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Gardner: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K
    Fewer baserunners than IP, 9.0 K/9 ratio -- looks like a great statline for Gardner tonight.

I'd be really interested to hear where his fastball is sitting right now. Pre-surgery, I remember reading reports that he could keep it in the low-mid 90s. If he's retained velocity at 90 MPH without going to max-effort, he has a chance to really make something of himself on the comeback trail.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Of course...but not seeing your point. Any draft pick who pans out would be nice.
    I dunno, your first post came across as a 'must draft' kind of thing because we dont have one. I was merely responding that its only a good pick if it pans out and that to draft based on needs is silly.

I dunno, your first post came across as a 'must draft' kind of thing because we dont have one. I was merely responding that its only a good pick if it pans out and that to draft based on needs is silly.
    Just commenting on how it would be nice to get a legit RH bat in the draft. OBM mentioned LaPorta who I wouldn't be disappointed in getting. Funny that in other threads I've been looking like a "must draft" pitching guy. I'm just pointing out what the org can use. Obviously starting pitching, but one thing this team has been missing for quite a while is a legit RH bat. I'm all about drafting the best player available, but if it was close, I'd go with the RH bat and college pitcher as the tie breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Where is the person who was slagging Bruce as compared to Maybin a few weeks back? Was that aronchis? Can't remember. Whoever that was, still slagging?

Bruce needs to be challenged at AA. I think he is a lot closer to GABP ready than I could have imagined (like, mid-season call up 2008 close)...
    That was me. Yes, Maybin has 18bb's vs. Bruce's 8. That doesn't mean much right now, but it might down the road. If I remember right, Bruce started slowly in the walk department last year and picked up speed before he pretty much was out the whole month of Augest with back problems. So we will see where that leads us.

Bruce definitely doesn't need to be challenged in AA right now. Maybe by July/Augest if he continues to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    That was me. Yes, Maybin has 18bb's vs. Bruce's 8. That doesn't mean much right now, but it might down the road. If I remember right, Bruce started slowly in the walk department last year and picked up speed before he pretty much was out the whole month of Augest with back problems. So we will see where that leads us.

Bruce definitely doesn't need to be challenged in AA right now. Maybe by July/Augest if he continues to improve.
    Maybin continues to be the luckiest guy in baseball with hits falling for him. He has 6 line drives on the season in 44 balls in play. 6 of his 17 non HR hits have been infield hits. For comparison Jay Bruce has 16 line drives in 66 balls in play. Maybin has 11 outfield hits, Jay has 24.

Maybin walks a bit more. Jay Bruce is a complete hitter though and as far as swinging the bat goes, they aren't even comparable.

Bruce had an impressive 06 because of what he did it as a teenager in the Midwest League. He needs to spend at least the first half with Sarasota before they consider moving him.

Turn Off Ads?