Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    This is a fantastically interesting discussion, although I know the old timers are probably totally bored since it happens every year.

All of the threads I start go into Reds Live! for the exact reason you gave. I want everybody to have a chance to comment on them.

That said, lots of the threads I start are "light weight" threads. That is, I love the "what's your favorite....." type threads, or imaginary scanarios because I love to hear people talking/posting about baseball in general. Whether you've been around from day 1 or this is your day 1, you can contribute and there is very little controversy so no aguments insue. Frankly, while I enjoy creating threads, most of them are not ORG worthy.

Now, someone like Cyclone, for example, he posts some heavy weight threads. Lots of indept statistical research, charts, graphs, etc. That should be in ORG because people want to discuss the numbers without it falling apart into a "stats suck" debate. That can happen on Reds Live.

Long winded answer but threads that are worthy of serrious discussion without the noise of "Dunn is the sux" should go into ORG. Otherwise, Reds Live is a perfect place for the thread so all have a chance to contribute.
    That's a pretty good breakdown of it. There's certain things that are guaranteed to jump down a "stats make me angry" rabbit hole on Reds Live.

I've also noticed that what side gets more activity tends to run in cycles. For the most part, I'd say the healthy amount of activity on Reds Live demonstrates that we don't have an us vs. them system. ORG's just around to weed out a lot of metaposting when folks would rather talk about baseball.

I don't start a ton of threads, but when I do, it's always on ORG because I want to kick around the meat of the issue. When a major move gets made, I generally post in the ORG thread too because that's where I find the deeper analysis occurs.

IMO, just the act of having some visible standards helps matters.

So if people think the game threads would benefit from a split then I say go for it. There will be an inevitable flare up about it this summer (as membengal said, these things are predictable), but that system worked last year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Just thought I'd toss in my two pennies.

I haven't been a member of this board too long, almost a year now, IIRC. I got my posting privileges in here about a month ago. I love the system, but I think it's mainly because I'm a very goal oriented person. It gave me something to get to and in the process I figured out what flies and what doesn't around here. Show substance and be rewarded. I think it definitely helps the quality of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Just my opinion of course, but when was the last time you saw RFS62 and many others post in the game thread?.
    Not to be argumentative, but would RFS62 post in the game thread if it were pure as the wind driven snow? My point is, some folks might not be posting there because they just don't enjoy the format regardless of the content. I don't often post there, unless chat is totally dead, because I don't care for having to refresh 1000 times. Has nothing to do with the content.

I agree that the shenangans can run off some quality posters, but I don't think you can make a +1 correlation between people acting up and people not posting on the game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So if people think the game threads would benefit from a split then I say go for it. There will be an inevitable flare up about it this summer (as membengal said, these things are predictable), but that system worked last year.
    The only downside to seperated threads is that if you have a game thread with only reds live folks (1) there's typically very few people in it (2) there's no self policing going on because all of the solid/regular posters are elsewhere.

Sure it's easier to have seperate theads, but with some self policing and work, shouldn't one game thread suffice? Maybe that's just too utopian since this conversation has been had many times before.

Interesting thread--ok, not that much, but I have work to do that I'm putting off!

I was on the game thread early last night before I left to go to a meeting. I was listening to the game, so I was trying to update the game (because someone asked for it) and no one else was doing it--most of the folks were just typing like monkeys trying to write Shakespeare (I don't think they were successful).

I don't know what the answer is to the game thread--I do know I've negged a few times--I hate to do it--I remember doing it to one Albert Pujols--it was a funny neg because whoever the poster was--was trying to be a wisenheimer, not a real RZ poster. And I've gotten negged a couple of times, some called for--I learned that if I'm going to be flippant here, I've got to back up my statement or be LOL funny (which I'm usually not except in my own mind).

And I start threads in both forums, depending on what kind (poll in RL) and who's opinion I personally want to hear.

Just my two cents.
    Where we gonna go?

I think the threads are for observations that one would want archived. For general ranting during a game, go to the chat. That's what I do
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I also think last night's game is a tough one to take posters to task on--the Reds got beat 1) by the worst call I've ever seen 2) the Brewers, that mediocre team that always seems to whip the Reds for the last decade and 3) Hall, that mediocre player who always seems to pound Reds pitching. Many buttons were pushed I'm sure.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I don't know what the answer is to the game thread--I do know I've negged a few times--I hate to do it--I remember doing it to one Albert Pujols--it was a funny neg because whoever the poster was--was trying to be a wisenheimer, not a real RZ poster. And I've gotten negged a couple of times, some called for--I learned that if I'm going to be flippant here, I've got to back up my statement or be LOL funny (which I'm usually not except in my own mind).
    Albert Pujols is the alter-ego of a well-known RZ poster.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Albert Pujols is the alter-ego of a well-known RZ poster.
    probably zombie = not funny
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Here's a simple idea to reduce the chat-like characteristics of the game threads. How about raising the minimum length for a post in the Game Thread forum?

If a post was requred to have, say 200 characters, a poster would be compelled to include a thoughtful reason why Player X sucks.

If the Player X-hater simply wants to vent, s/he can do so in less than 200 characters in chat.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    This thread has been very therapeutic for me. It's nice to be able to discuss things like this without the appearance of shouting, arguing, etc. It actually "feels" like people are listening to each other and responding (hey! novel concept). It's been awhile since I felt like that on this board.
    Kinda' funny. I took a break to start lunch and I was thinking the same things you've said. (Including the word 'therapeutic' so I hope you can spell it 'cause I sure can't!) I feel a lot better about the board now than when I started on this thread this morning. Good discussion.

And, reading through other replies, apparently many/some of you do segregate your posts/threads by the board. Who'd a thunk it? Apparently, everyone else but me.

Say! You're right! That little guy () does look like Stevie! That just makes him even creapier!

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I don't often post there, unless chat is totally dead, because I don't care for having to refresh 1000 times. Has nothing to do with the content.
    That tends to be my issue too. It gets impossible to watch the game and keep up with the thread at the same time.

It actually touches upon my main complaint with game threads, that there's a lot of "chat" type posts in there - stuff that's the equivalent of saying "yay" or "boo." I've got nothing against chat, in fact I think it's probably underutilized. It's perfect for stream of consciousness and posts that consist of nothing but a few smilies.

By definition, a game thread should be a place where you can type a paragraph or two and have an ongoing and easily traceable conversation. That's probably why I've got no problem with splitting the threads. It would make the individual game threads more manageable, less of a firehose chug.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Here's a simple idea to reduce the chat-like characteristics of the game threads. How about raising the minimum length for a post in the Game Thread forum?

If a post was requred to have, say 200 characters, a poster would be compelled to include a thoughtful reason why Player X sucks.

If the Player X-hater simply wants to vent, s/he can do so in less than 200 characters in chat.
    The only problem with this, as I can see, is that it would make play by play very hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I think the threads are for observations that one would want archived. For general ranting during a game, go to the chat. That's what I do
    That's pretty much the perfect way of phrasing it.

Is the Father in for confessional?

As a member of the "front page rep & post club" - I look at that list and I am probably the most unqualified of all of those folks. I also tend to spurt out at times.

My actions and posts of game thread from April 16, 2007 were warranted in my own mind. I was even informed by a mod that it wasn't necessary after I hit the send button.

But, what gets my goat (sorry Puffy) is that there are open attacks on moderators' decisions. While this is a friendly, democratic board, there are people who have the ability to make a totalitarian decision and the people in charge of this board have given the right to do that. Moderators have the thankless job of keeping this board from falling apart at the seams. They have earned the job that they have been asked to do. So, in my haste, I lashed out at the problems, especially at some folks who disrespected moderators.

There are some around here that it is their First Amendment right to access and discuss on a message board Reds baseball or other topics as they come up. What people fail to realize is the privilege we have been given mostly by Boss, GIK, other mods, & donators to express our "rights" can be simply removed with one click of a mouse key.

Until some realize that "privileges" and "rights" are different, it may be a mess around here for a while.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Kinda' funny. I took a break to start lunch and I was thinking the same things you've said. (Including the word 'therapeutic' so I hope you can spell it 'cause I sure can't!) I feel a lot better about the board now than when I started on this thread this morning. Good discussion.

And, reading through other replies, apparently many/some of you do segregate your posts/threads by the board. Who'd a thunk it? Apparently, everyone else but me.

Say! You're right! That little guy () does look like Stevie! That just makes him even creapier!

Rem
    This can't be Rem - he forgot the (shrug)

(shrug)

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?