Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    ...asside...
    Is that masked profanity?

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I prefer game threads to chat because game threads stay with the board -- I can go back and read through a good game thread and get the reactions when big events occured. I went back and read through the game thread after Josh Hamilton hit his first HR. The other day I went back through the game thread from Aaron Harang's 1-0 duel vs. Chris Carpenter from last year to relive Coffey striking out Edmonds to preserve the lead.

I don't know what the solution is -- but I'm really not a chat fan and I think the Game Thread system can work if we all set a good example and do better about policing ourselves (negging bad behavior and reporting bad posts). The moderators do a fabulous job, but I'd be in favor of a more "zero tolerance" policy to trolling in the game threads (I'd also make whining about rep an instant one-day ban, but thats just me). As it has been said, they're a privilege not a right.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I had the same thought WVR and I also did a random check of ages and came up with similar results.

I'm probably a lot older than you but I haven't given up hope for another World Championship in my lifetime. Heck with advances in cryogenics, I think I've still got a shot.

Rem
    Glass half-full boys, half-full

I'm close enough to Tampa to understand what NO hope means

At least we know if a bunch (yes, a bunch) of things go right that we can be a playoff team

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Rem

Nah, just mentally challenged spelling! hahaha

Rem
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd also make whining about rep an instant one-day ban, but thats just me.
    Totally in favor of that. Either asking for rep points or complaining about neg points. Automatic 1 day ban for a first offense. A month for a second offense. No questions asked.

I also think the rep system has to be looked at again. It just doesn't seem fair that some people's rep is worth 20 points + and others are worth 2 points. You could get rep from 10 people and get ORG priviledges. Just doesn't seem right. That "balance" has to be looked at.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Eliminate rep points and you eliminate that problem.

Rem

Rem
    I would agree with that, but I like the seperation of ORG and Reds Live. Less noise.

Maybe instead of rep there should be a mandatory 1 year wait to get access to ORG. Make it based on time rather than "rep". That way you can't say that a poster doesn't know what the "culture" of the board is before getting access to ORG. In 1 year they should know how this board is run and how they are expected to behave. If they don't want to stick around for a year, then how big of contributors are they going to be anyway?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Seems like this is starting to turn into a referendum on rep points. Frankly, I think it's a good system for what it's intended to do. That is, provide a self policing tool for the board. Someone gets way out of line and "society at large" of the board can let said poster that thier behavior is not accepted. If someone offers a post that greatly benefits the board in some positive way, a positive rep is meant as positive reinforment of the types of behavior that is deamed acceptable.

The problems start when people think rep = they are right. The more rep you have doesn't mean the more right you are. Conversly, thinking rep means acceptance and begging/pimping for more is also a problem. Or, if a poster weilds rep as a weapon.

Anyway, we've been over this a bunch of time, but I think the rep system is a very good tool. Problem is we are either (1) not dilligent in using it (2) use it incorrectly.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Rem
    Not to turn this thread into a rep-system discussion (because those are tired, at this point) but...

If anything, I think that posters should be given more ability to neg bad behavior off the board. I'd give everyone neg power of x 2 their positive power and make any poster that accumulates 3 negs in a day sit out for the rest of the evening; accumulating 5 negs in a week puts you out for the week. I'd make posting on ORG a 500 level point requirement and game thread posting a 200 level requirement. Dropping below 400 (after 500) and you lose access to ORG. Dropping below 100 (after hitting 200) and you lose access to the game threads.

Talk about rep? 1 day ban, no questions asked.

The rep system works if people would take the time to ding posts that they feel don't keep within the spirit and culture of RedsZone. When bad behavior continues on a board where the users have the power to make it stop, they have no one to blame but themselves.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I would agree with that, but I like the seperation of ORG and Reds Live. Less noise.

Maybe instead of rep there should be a mandatory 1 year wait to get access to ORG. Make it based on time rather than "rep". That way you can't say that a poster doesn't know what the "culture" of the board is before getting access to ORG. In 1 year they should know how this board is run and how they are expected to behave. If they don't want to stick around for a year, then how big of contributors are they going to be anyway?
    A draw back to the time limit, are those posters who are able to figure out the culture of the board and start making postive controbutions well before a year is over. They are penalized because some fools can't figure out the rules. That doesn't seem right.

Rem
    Maybe, but I think rep points help keep people civil...at least for the first 200 or so.... it's a nice carrot that basically trains new members to be good citizens...

Also, based upon rep point feedback, I've learned how best I can contribute to a discussion here....

Besides giving positive rep points to a good post is ALOT of fun... as well as a nice way to reinforce to a poster that the time they took to research and formulate a post is much appreciated (some posts can be the result of a several hours worth of research).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Not to turn this thread into a rep-system discussion (because those are tired, at this point) but...

If anything, I think that posters should be given more ability to neg bad behavior off the board. I'd give everyone neg power of x 2 their positive power and make any poster that accumulates 3 negs in a day sit out for the rest of the evening; accumulating 5 negs in a week puts you out for the week. I'd make posting on ORG a 500 level point requirement and game thread posting a 200 level requirement. Dropping below 400 (after 500) and you lose access to ORG. Dropping below 100 (after hitting 200) and you lose access to the game threads.

Talk about rep? 1 day ban, no questions asked.

The rep system works if people would take the time to ding posts that they feel don't keep within the spirit and culture of RedsZone. When bad behavior continues on a board where the users have the power to make it stop, they have no one to blame but themselves.
    I'm not sure the vBulletin software allows that capability. Maybe there's a hack somewhere. It would definitely be too labor intensive to check that kind of thing manually.

The moderators do a fabulous job, but I'd be in favor of a more "zero tolerance" policy to trolling in the game threads (I'd also make whining about rep an instant one-day ban, but thats just me). As it has been said, they're a privilege not a right.
    I agree with that. There were a few people that last night kept complaining about rules or points and if they would have been bounced for a night it would have been a much better game thread. I think for most people if this happened they would get the point quickly and stop doing this and if they don't get the point they can go to reds.com and do whatever they want there. Also it may be time to sticky up the board rules again for new people. I have noticed a lot of things like masked profanity that keep happening this year and if someone brings it up it is always followed by an argument. The rules here are not hard to follow but for those that don't want to or want to complain about the rules I have no problem with them being bounced from the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Maybe, but I think rep points help keep people civil...at least for the first 200 or so.... it's a nice carrot that basically trains new members to be good citizens...

Also, based upon rep point feedback, I've learned how best I can contribute to a discussion here....

Besides giving positive rep points to a good post is ALOT of fun... as well as a nice way to reinforce to a poster that the time they took to research and formulate a post is much appreciated (some posts can be the result of a several hours worth of research).
    Yes. I view positive reputation as a way of thanking a poster for positively contributing to the board. Posts you describe absolutely fall into that category.

I've given rep to posters that say things I don't agree with. But I gave them rep because there was thought put into their post and it was presented in a manner worth recognizing.

Turn Off Ads?