Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Here's a simple idea to reduce the chat-like characteristics of the game threads. How about raising the minimum length for a post in the Game Thread forum?

If a post was requred to have, say 200 characters, a poster would be compelled to include a thoughtful reason why Player X sucks.

If the Player X-hater simply wants to vent, s/he can do so in less than 200 characters in chat.
    I don't think we'd need to go that far. I'm thinking a concerted effort to get people into chat would be a better step (e.g. stickies at the top of the appropriate boards about why you may prefer chats as your good/bad steam outlet during games).

There's always going to be some chat-like posts in a game thread. There probably even needs to be. Even Victorian Era Brits must have sometimes felt the need to say something brief (though I'm not sure written proof exists).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    The only problem with this, as I can see, is that it would make play by play very hard to do.
    I dont generally post in the Game Threads since I can watch them or listen at home, but when I do go into them I notice 4 or 5 guys all doing PBP. It clutters things up. Maybe a way to calm that down is that 1 or 2 guys can do PBP and limit it to that and everyone else can just chime in on specifics of the game. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I dont generally post in the Game Threads since I can watch them or listen at home, but when I do go into them I notice 4 or 5 guys all doing PBP. It clutters things up. Maybe a way to calm that down is that 1 or 2 guys can do PBP and limit it to that and everyone else can just chime in on specifics of the game. Just a thought.
    And part of the problem last night (at least when I was in there) is that no one was doing pbb consistently.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    And part of the problem last night (at least when I was in there) is that no one was doing pbb consistently.
    That's one of the first things I thought when I read through it this morning. There seemed to be very few updates on the game the first 30-40 pages, maybe more.

Yeah, I really had no idea what was going on in the game last night. When Hamilton hit his home run, I had to go to ESPN to find out what he did. The problem is people posted "WHOOO!!!!!" and "OMG HAMILTON!!!!1ONE!" and nobody mentioned what actually happened.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Maybe a maximum amount of posts per person in game threads. Say 10 or so. That way people may put more thought into each of their posts rather than wasting them on 'Coffey teh sucks' 100 times.

It would also help the vloume of posts in each thread.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Yeah, I really had no idea what was going on in the game last night. When Hamilton hit his home run, I had to go to ESPN to find out what he did. The problem is people posted "WHOOO!!!!!" and "OMG HAMILTON!!!!1ONE!" and nobody mentioned what actually happened.
    I think Josh Hamilton homered last night. 2 run HR as well.

At least that's what it says in my fantasy baseball statistics on my team.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Don't you know that WHOOO!!! is the universal sign of a home run?
    Where we gonna go?

That's my problem with the game threads. Either you have a bunch of people doing the pbp and the same post is repeated for 6 posts in a row:

Dunn!
    Dunn HR!!
    Dunn goes yard
    Dunn, gone
    Adam!
    Adam HR

Or no one does the pbp and you get what you got last night. Generally just rants, complaints and nonsense.

If you limit the game thread to one pbp man, it comes off much more readable. I think M2 was right that some commentary is neccessary, and sometimes welcomed, but the rants really need to stop.

Maybe we ought to pick out one pbp guy and one "color" guy per day to do the games and only give them access to post in that thread. It would be an honor to post in the thread. Could do someone that has ORG priviledges doing the pbp and a RL member doing the color commentary. Maybe that way those two would get to know each other a little better and we could establish a more friendly atmosphere instead of the chaotic college bar scene it is now.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Talk about rep? 1 day ban, no questions asked.
    I don't necessarily agree with this because every new poster is going to ask questions about it only to get slapped on the nose.

Whining and complaining about it ...... yes.

Being new and trying to understand it ..... no.

You gotta give new folks a chance.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Don't you know that WHOOO!!! is the universal sign of a home run?

I thought it was the universal sign of the end of a Ric Flair interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    What people fail to realize is the privilege we have been given mostly by Boss, GIK, other mods, & donators to express our "rights" can be simply removed with one click of a mouse key.

Until some realize that "privileges" and "rights" are different, it may be a mess around here for a while.
    http://www.dnscoop.com/

According to this website, Boss and GIK are sitting on a goldmine.

Having a personal, FREE website appraised at nearly $45,000 ain't too shabby.

Great testament to the community that has been built here.

(www.dnscoop.com is a really fun website too, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought it was the universal sign of the end of a Ric Flair interview.
    It's sometimes signals the beginning of a Flair interview as well...and the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Maybe we ought to pick out one pbp guy and one "color" guy per day to do the games and only give them access to post in that thread. It would be an honor to post in the thread.
    That's an awesome idea!

I only work five innings though. (a la the coiffed one)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As for game threads, two separate ones worked fairly well last year.
    I agree. It's never been a matter of "good" or "bad" posters to me. The benefit was that it simply divided the numbers.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?