Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    That's my problem with the game threads. Either you have a bunch of people doing the pbp and the same post is repeated for 6 posts in a row:

Dunn!
    Dunn HR!!
    Dunn goes yard
    Dunn, gone
    Adam!
    Adam HR
    That's like cheering or clapping. Game threads don't have to be boring. I like it when 6 posts in a row says that Dunn hit a homerun. People get to share their enthusiasm with each other for what happened.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    We're gonna have to get some sort of wager going... loser has to display a UK/Indiana avatar of the other's choosing for a couple weeks or something.

If you're not CHICKEN, that is!

As a Hoosier grad, I want in. Especially with the team IU has next year!
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Maybe we need to define "noise".

To me, it's mindless yapping. No thought behind it.
    I would think it would be hard to crank out long, thought provoking posts in a game thread. While the pace of baseball isn't that fast, it's fast enough, IMO to prevent cranking out a paragraph about why a player could have gotten to the base quicker by sliding rather than running through the bag.

But then again, I rarely show up in the game thread so it doesn't much matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Maybe we need to define "noise".

To me, it's mindless yapping. No thought behind it.

Are you TRYING to get me banned?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wait a minute. In all this feal good vibery I overlooked one important thing. Does this mean that WillyMo guy will be allowed into chat? Holy crap! Wait a second. I have to rethink everything now.

Everybody should stay in the game thread. Chats the sux ! Stay away!

Lt and BRM type this 1000 times

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    As a Hoosier grad, I want in. Especially with the team IU has next year!
    Ahhh! Those damn IU fans! Just like cockroaches... you see one, that means there's a hundred more just waiting to scurry out! :

To me a game thread is basically like sitting with your buddies in the stands and watching the game....sometimes the conversation is going to be rah, rah or uuuugggghhhhh.... sometimes a great conversation about strategy will break out where you can gain alot of insight or you'll talk about scouting reports or how to pitch a guy etc.... the only difference is that game threads alllow you to fact check via the internet in real time and the number of people who can hear you and your buddies (as well as join in on the conversation) is much greater...

I like it when the game thread has an "at the stadium in your lazyboy" feel...

The only draw back is sometimes people get a little more obnoxious on the computer than they would in the stands,,,, but redszone has that taken care of too.... think of the rep point system/moderators as cyber ushers....

I guess I don't see the gamethreads as being in critical condition per se... they aren't 70 page versions of the Bill James Abstract for sure, but they still have redeeming qualities...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Ahhh! Those damn IU fans! Just like cockroaches... you see one, that means there's a hundred more just waiting to scurry out! :
    Well educated cockroaches.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    That's like cheering or clapping. Game threads don't have to be boring. I like it when 6 posts in a row says that Dunn hit a homerun. People get to share their enthusiasm with each other for what happened.
    Maybe that was a bad example. I agree, it doesn't bother me to hear people overjoyed when someone hits a HR or makes a big play. It's the routine plays, non events by the Reds or the team they are playing.

It's a little worse when you see:

"Eckstein grounds out to 3rd" in 7 variations, including 2 after the next batter has come to the plate and done something else after that...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Maybe that was a bad example. I agree, it doesn't bother me to hear people overjoyed when someone hits a HR or makes a big play. It's the routine plays, non events by the Reds or the team they are playing.

It's a little worse when you see:

"Eckstein grounds out to 3rd" in 7 variations, including 2 after the next batter has come to the plate and done something else after that...

You're never going to be able to do anything about the numbers with multiple people posting about the same event within seconds. That's something you just have to live with considering the numbers of folks participating.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

So sac up, RL!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    You're never going to be able to do anything about the numbers with multiple people posting about the same event within seconds. That's something you just have to live with considering the numbers of folks participating.
    You're right.

For the most part I'm at home when the games are on. I'm either watching or listening, but rarely am I online when a game is on. For the most part, I only notice game threads when there are day games, so most of my observations are drawn from those specific occasions. I should have just said "put me in the camp with M2 and others in that I don't like hitting refresh 100 times to keep up with the game thread." Would have been a lot easier than going into detail.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So sac up, RL!
    Professional advice right there. Noted.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I would think it would be hard to crank out long, thought provoking posts in a game thread. While the pace of baseball isn't that fast, it's fast enough, IMO to prevent cranking out a paragraph about why a player could have gotten to the base quicker by sliding rather than running through the bag.

But then again, I rarely show up in the game thread so it doesn't much matter to me.

I'm not suggesting long, elaborate posts. I'm talking about saying something interesting.

The whole "goRedz" vs. "you suck" dialogue is what I'm talking about.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

So sac up, RL!
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?