Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree. I participate in maybe 1 or 2 game threads per week. It's a way to relax and talk about the action as it happens. I also read them the next day if I missed the game the day before.

If there's too many rules, why would anyone want to participate?
    You're absolutely right. I've said this before - it's simply a separate form of chat really. So basically, you have two chat forums going on.

Maybe we should have a regular game thread, and a special sanitized one for those that want only play by play or whatever. If all you want is play by play.. why not just read game tracker?
    Yep. It's obvious that a majority there are already using a gametracker (ESPN, CBS Sportsline) already. And are using that in order to interact on the GT.

I like the emotion during the game thread. Not the personal attacks, but the show of emotion.. Even if it's 20 posts in a row cheering a Dunn HR.
    What I never understood is why some many on the GT get all worked up, as well as the arguments and personal attacks? There have been many of us participating in chat for the last several years during games, and we've never had this problem at all. I guess it's possibly different "environments" or platforms draws different types of people. But we've never had the problems, not even the need for a moderator, while in chat.

We're more laid back I guess.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

The problem I have is the neverending negativity on this board as a whole, but the game threads are the worst. It is honestly depressing sometimes. The Reds are a .500 ballclub right now but to read the threads on this board you would think they were the Nationals. 1 and a 1/2 games out of first at this point but all you hear about is the lousy bullpen because of the last two nights.

Santos 1.50 ERA
    Stanton 1.69 ERA
    Weathers 2.25 ERA
    Belisle 3.63 ERA
    Saarloos 4.70 ERA

That is 5 relievers that are doing fair to excellent. Does that sound like the relief staff is a mess? Now for the offense, there are approximately 8 offensive players with an OBP of over .340. There are also 8 players with an OPS over .700. Does that sound hopeless?

The Reds have 2 top line starters in Arroyo and Harang. Add in Lohse and Belisle and you know what you have? The top 4 starters have ERA's ranging from 2.53 to 4.37. The high ERA belongs to the Reds best pitcher who most certainly will improve. Ah yes, and then there is Redszone's whipping boy emeritius Eric Milton. He, of the 5.06 ERA so far this season. There are exactly 7 teams who have a better record than the Reds so far in the NL. Does anyone know how many of those 7 teams have a starter on their staff with the same or worse ERA than Milton? Except for the Mets, every damn one of them. The Brewers and the Padres actually have two on their staffs.

Now would someone tell me why so many people on this board act like Redszone is a focus group for those suffering with clinical depression? The Reds have a good team and they are not doing badly. It would be nice if people would stop using the game threads and Redszone as a whole as a season long *****fest. The Reds are in the playoff race and it will get better. Start acting like real fans Redszone. If Cubs fans can be hopeful year after year for no good reason why shouldn't we? We're better than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Somone who has -52 rep points and is casuing trouble in the game thread likely is a ways off from posting on ORG.
    Maybe this is answered somewhere else in this thread, but I'm at work and reading/scanning fast - but how is it that someone with -52 points is posting at all? Isn't there some -point total where you shouldn't be allowed to post?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Looking at his posts did he deserve all -52 points for stating his opinion on Coffey. Yes his posts weren't very well thought out but to be given a negative 52 is a bit harsh and reactionary by the masses. :deadhorse

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Maybe this is answered somewhere else in this thread, but I'm at work and reading/scanning fast - but how is it that someone with -52 points is posting at all? Isn't there some -point total where you shouldn't be allowed to post?

Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    The Reds have a good team.....
    As you pointed out, the Reds are currently a .500 team. By definition that would not qualify as good.

Start acting like real fans Redszone.
    Sounds like your definition of a 'real fan' is limited to those that only say nice things and blow kisses. Real fans can also be critical of their favorite team. They are usually being critical because they are a fan of the team and want them to get better.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nope.
    Guess that's why I use to read every post in every thread.

Now I'm down to about 1% of the posts in 1% of the threads.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    As you pointed out, the Reds are currently a .500 team. By definition that would not qualify as good.

Sounds like your definition of a 'real fan' is limited to those that only say nice things and blow kisses. Real fans can also be critical of their favorite team. They are usually being critical because they are a fan of the team and want them to get better.

Rem
    Thank you, well said.

Many of us have seen and experienced being fans of good teams.

When we put a lot of heart/soul/time into following a team such as the Reds we also at times become disappointed knowing that they could be better, and hope that they eventually will be. Six straight years they have proven to be worse than a .500 team.

Rem
    Whether or not you consider a .500 club to be good is a matter of personal opinion. To me, it's all about making the playoffs. The Reds nearly did last season and they have a decent shot this year. I personally don't care if they win 82 or 102, it's all about the postseason to me. As far as being a real fan, it's not about saying nice things and blowing kisses. If you think that ownership should spend more money, then say so. It is about being hopeful and cheering them on when the chips are down It's about saying "We're 2 runs down in the 3rd but we still got a chance." Or "If the pitching can play up to their potential we've got a shot this year." Anytime someone on this board says something like "Adam Dunn is overrated" people come to his defense with numbers and many well thought out opinions. I only wish the loyalty shown to certain players on this board would also be shown to the Reds ballclub as a whole. Adam Dunn is a Red and so is Junior and Josh Hamilton. You know who else is a Red? David Weathers, Eric Milton and Todd Coffey. The sum should be greater and more important than the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Re: chat room

We're more laid back I guess.
    You better be with the beer and women.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Looking at his posts did he deserve all -52 points for stating his opinion on Coffey. Yes his posts weren't very well thought out but to be given a negative 52 is a bit harsh and reactionary by the masses. :deadhorse
    Had he posted once or twice, maybe. He came here to be a general pain in the patoot. -52 was a scatch on the surface IMO. and as far as I could follow he didn't get all -52 at once. He accumlated them as he repeatedly made a horses behind out of himself.

I am personally quite pleased that the board more or less policed itself in this instance.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    To me, it's all about making the playoffs.
    Then you should be even more frustrated than the average fan. It's been 6 years since the Reds have had a winning record but 12 years since they've been to the playoffs.

Or "If the pitching can play up to their potential we've got a shot this year.
    There are a lot of people on this board that feel the pitching is more likely to play down to their potential. Aren't they welcome to express their opinion?

Rem

It seems to me there should be some sort of automatic suspension if a person's negative rep reaches a certain point.

Does a troll really care if they're at -50 if they're still allowed to post at will or do they wear it as a badge of honor?

Good point. Actually, I had thought that -100 points bumped you out for a month (or some other such period). (famous shrug) Chip says that ain't true. (another famous shrug) Maybe it should be.

I will however say that sometimes a poster is trying to make a relevant point and sometimes just gets piled upon for a faux pas. Being the devil incarnate sympathizer that I am I usually give them positive points if that's the way I percieve it.

Good point. Actually, I had thought that -100 points bumped you out for a month (or some other such period). (famous shrug) Chip says that ain't true. (another famous shrug) Maybe it should be.

I will however say that sometimes a poster is trying to make a relevant point and sometimes just gets piled upon for a faux pas. Being the devil incarnate sympathizer that I am I usually give them positive points if that's the way I percieve it.
    Rebel rouser!! Or is that rabble rouser?

Turn Off Ads?