Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The outfield wall at GABP!!

The outfield wall at GABP!!

Guys I don't know why but I have been thinking about this for the last two days.You know how the Dodgers and I think Braves have pictures of their all time greats all over their outfield wall.Why can't we do that?? I mean that would be a great tribute to all of our all time greats that played for the reds.They could put some players thats jersey is already retired in the stadium AND they could put some great ones that hav'nt had their jerseys retired yet like Eric Davis and Barry Larkin.

That would really show the reds all times greats that they will always be number 1 and they would never be forgotten.It would also make the ballpark that much more special.What do you guys think??
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The outfield wall at GABP!!

They'd lose their advertising dollars from Jeff Wyler.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I would rather put pics or images of the reds all time greats on the wall that the advertisments of Jeff Wyler.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 05-01-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Who is Jeff Wyler??
    1. Owner of a prominent Cincinnati auto dealership that pays for advertising on the outfield wall of GABP.

2. Chairman of the University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees.

Basically, the Reds use the outfield wall to generate revenue. They aren't going to give that up for the sake of aesthetics (although I wish they would).
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    1. Owner of a prominent Cincinnati auto dealership that pays for advertising on the outfield wall of GABP.

Basically, the Reds use the outfield wall to generate revenue. They aren't going to give that up for the sake of aesthetics (although I wish they would).

Maybe the reds and this Jeff Wyler guy could work something out.I mean what would you rather have out there on a wall Paint!! Reds all time greats or just some silly advertisements??They could put his advertisements some where else in the ballpark.The reds and Jeff Wyler could set down and work something out.

Guys I don't know why but I have been thinking about this for the last two days.You know how the Dodgers and I think Braves have pictures of their all time greats all over their outfield wall.Why can't we do that?? I mean that would be a great tribute to all of our all time greats that played for the reds.They could put some players thats jersey is already retired in the stadium AND they could put some great ones that hav'nt had their jerseys retired yet like Eric Davis and Barry Larkin.

That would really show the reds all times greats that they will always be number 1 and they would never be forgotten.It would also make the ballpark that much more special.What do you guys think??
    I've been thinking the exact same thing! Unfortunately, I think paint is right. If it's going to come at the expense of dollars, they probably won't do it. I wonder how much money the ads bring in, anyway?

Maybe the reds and this Jeff Wyler guy could work something out.I mean what would you rather have out there on a wall Paint!! Reds all time greats or just some silly advertisements??They could put his advertisements some where else in the ballpark.The reds and Jeff Wyler could set down and work something out.
    Yeah that would be nice but the Reds are a small time franchise that need every bit of revenue they can get. They could mow Jeff Wyler's face into the outfield grass for all I care, as long as B Cast is going to use the money to help the Reds put a good product on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I've been thinking the exact same thing! Unfortunately, I think paint is right. If it's going to come at the expense of dollars, they probably won't do it. I wonder how much money the ads bring in, anyway?

Macro,I don't have a clue how much money his ads bring in but the reds and Wyler should sit down and see what they can agree on.I mean like I said in my last post they could put his ads anywhere else in the ball park so they could be noticed.I really think they need to do this on the wall thow b/c that would represent our all time greats and would put a special touch to the park.I would love to see it happen.

It's a nice idea but wouldn't it be sort of unoriginal? Do we really need another shrine to the BRM? Because that's what it would be. We have a wonderful HOF and museum. There are statues out front, 2 murals inside the front gate, concession areas named after former Reds greats and retired numbers under the broadcast booth. How much is too much?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Chip,my honest opinion is you can never go to far or never have to much in a ballpark.A ball park exspecially one in the majors is suppose to be something special,I mean don't get me wrong the reds ball park is already very special with all the great stuff.IMO thow you can never have to much in the reds ball park b/c its a major league ball park and every team in the bigs are always looking for something new to show every baseball fan that thieir park is reall special.

Macro,I don't have a clue how much money his ads bring in but the reds and Wyler should sit down and see what they can agree on.I mean like I said in my last post they could put his ads anywhere else in the ball park so they could be noticed.I really think they need to do this on the wall thow b/c that would represent our all time greats and would put a special touch to the park.I would love to see it happen.
    I think the Reds advertise just about everywhere they can and lets be honest, there is no place other than the name of the park that gets as much advertisement time as the outfield walls. Anytime a highlight is shown in the outfield, there it is on national tv. 145 games on FSN Ohio. You cant get that type of advertisement anywhere else in the park. Its not just Jeff Wyler out there though, there are probably 6 or 7 companies with ads on the wall.

How about an outfield wall that says "the Greats in Reds history, brought to you by Jeff Wyler Chevrolet" (or whatever type of cars he sells) then you get to the pics of the the players.

You could probably help the revenue by adding something like "learn more at the Reds Hall of Fame ..." somewhere on that wall as well.

You get your cake and eat it too.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

Yes, it always comes down to maximizing the generation of cash for this team, and cutting expenses. The whole GAB reflects that.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    How about an outfield wall that says "the Greats in Reds history, brought to you by Jeff Wyler Chevrolet" (or whatever type of cars he sells) then you get to the pics of the the players.

You could probably help the revenue by adding something like "learn more at the Reds Hall of Fame ..." somewhere on that wall as well.

You get your cake and eat it too.
    I think it's a pretty slick idea. It may not be original, but I think it's an opportunity to expand fans' knowledge of Reds greats beyond the BRM as well. For example, I remember when the Dodgers first started putting their past greats on the outfield wall, I'd never heard of Junior Gilliam. Seeing him on the outfield wall piqued my interest and so I later looked him up and learned more about his career. I love tributes to history at the ballpark. I would put a rowboat beyond the outfield fence to honor Lee Grissom's pleasure cruise over the outfield wall of Crosley Field in 1937. But of course I love baseball history, so there can never be too much in my mind. Well, maybe I don't really want to see cup holders honoring Paul Householder.

And maybe putting the visages of Bucky Walters and Paul Derringer by the bullpen will cause the relievers to channel some good pitching.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I would rather put pics or images of the reds all time greats on the wall that the advertisments of Jeff Wyler.
    Perhaps they could put up images of all-time Reds greats getting 0% financing with approved credit and no money down from Jeff Wyler. Bad credit? No credit? That's never a problem when you're a former Reds great with Jeff Wyler.

Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?