Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Pelland to Bull Pen

Ya can't teach speed...

Tyler Pelland to Bull Pen

From Chattanooga Times: 5/31/07

...Lookouts opening-day starter Tyler Pelland has been moved to the bullpen and replaced in the rotation by Justin Mallett. Pelland has made five starts, going 1-2 with a 3.33 ERA and allowing opponents to hit .280.
    "We've put Tyler in the bullpen, because he has increased in velocity with his fastball," pitching coach Grant Jackson said. "We also needed another left-hander in the bullpen."....

During the game the Lookouts announcer commented that the move was intended to get Pelland moving more quickly to the big leagues.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tyler Pelland to Bull Pen

Interesting. That should make some people happy here. The interesting thing about Pelland, is that he could go 5 innings and be almost unhittable, and then have a disaster inning where everything went wrong. Many times caused by his own errors.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in pen. I assume he'll be a short inning guy.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 05-01-2007 at 09:31 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I really wanted him to work out as a starter. With his conversion to the bullpen, he's likely a Red sometime next year, maybe as a Sept. callup.

Oh well, a power LH in the pen isn't a bad thing. I wonder if he'll end up doing some closing if Medlock gets promoted to AAA.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Somebody running the Reds has apparently decided that they lack power bullpen arms. Suddenly, after putting together a soft tossing bullpen this spring, the Reds have within one week:

Traded for McBeth
    Cut Cormier
    Advanced Salmon to majors
    Moved Pelland to the pen.

Wayne Krivsky was at last start on the 25th where he went 6 1/3 innings and gave up 1 run. He must have saw something to think that he could help the pen very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Interesting. That should make some people happy here.
    Yep. Right here. Happy guy.

Pelland's stuff and profile have been screaming "reliever" for years, glad the franchise finally noticed. He was going nowhere as a starter, but he could be a quality LH reliever.

Though the upside of having kept him in the rotation this long is it forced him to work on all his pitches, pay more attention to his mechanics (relievers can afford to be sloppy in that department if they're effective) and build his stamina. He's 23 now and, if the conversion works out, perhaps he can get himself into the bullpen mix sometime in 2008.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Somebody running the Reds has apparently decided that they lack power bullpen arms. Suddenly, after putting together a soft tossing bullpen this spring, the Reds have within one week:

Traded for McBeth
    Cut Cormier
    Advanced Salmon to majors
    Moved Pelland to the pen.
    Very good points. He's seemingly got muscle on his mind.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Good move. It has become obvious for a while now that Pelland's future was in the bullpen.

He simply doesn't have the type of arsenal to make it as a starter since at times he really only has 2 at least average offerings. In the bullpne, he should be able to get away with this better.

As a reliever, he should have a very good fastball in the 92-94 MPH range while also having 2 usable pitches (curveball and a 2-seamer) which should allow him to be successful and give him a chance of helping th Reds at some point in the not too distant future.

If Peland can begin to improve upon his control, he has some very nice potential as a 3rd guy out of the pen. If not, he should still have a future as more of a middle guy, or at least a LOOGY.

What kind of comp would Pelland the reliever have?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    From Chattanooga Times: 5/31/07
    5/31/07???

I have no problem with moving him to the 'pen. God knows this prganization needs bullpenners. I wish him luck...

Was Justin Mallett the kid that sat out last season w/ Drug problems/suspension? I liked him when he was at the Dragons. While not an overwhelming prospect, he seemed to have a great changeup, and his bio seemed to indicate that he was a late bloomer, as he got cut from his high school team his senior year (transferred to a new school after his junior season and didn't make the team) He was drafted after a stint in Juco ball.

I always thought he had the makeup to be a long -inning relief kind of pitcher, at best in the majors, but he always but up strong numbers from Dayton thru his first stint in AA.

Ya can't teach speed...

Ooops, 5/1/07

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    5/31/07???

I have no problem with moving him to the 'pen. God knows this prganization needs bullpenners. I wish him luck...

I wonder how hard he'll throw from the pen. He was supposedly sitting 92-93 as a starter. Applause to WayneK for nice timing on this move. Pelland had a fair shake, unlike a certain player we all know "cough" Medlock "cough", but it's become pretty obvious Pelland's future as a starter is pretty minimal unless something clicks. I'm excited to watch him make the switch.

Great move and I like Pellands chances as a future MLB reliever than as a MLB Starter
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Good move. This improves Pelland's ceiling and advances his ETA for reaching the majors to sometime in 2008. It's always nice to have a power lefty reliever.

Turn Off Ads?