Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concepcion number 13 to be retired

Concepcion number 13 to be retired

CINCINNATI - The uniform jersey number 13 worn from 1970 through 1988 by Cincinnati Reds shortstop Dave Concepcion will be retired in ceremonies at Great American Ball Park prior to the Saturday, July 28 game against the Chicago Cubs.

At its meeting last week, the board of directors of the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum voted unanimously to retire the uniform number of the Venezuelan native. Each fan attending the 7:10 p.m. game will receive a commemorative replica of a painting that will be presented to Concepcion that day.

"He was the best shortstop of his era and certainly one of the greatest in the history of our storied franchise," said Reds president and chief executive officer Bob Castellini. "Number 13 deserves to hang next to the uniform jerseys of Bench and Morgan and Perez."

Concepcion's 13 will be the ninth number retired by the Reds, joining Fred Hutchinson’s 1, Johnny Bench’s 5, Joe Morgan’s 8, Sparky Anderson's 10, Ted Kluszewski’s 18, Frank Robinson’s 20, Tony Perez’ 24 and Jackie Robinson’s 42. Concepcion was inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame in 2000.

As the starting shortstop on the Big Red Machine, Concepcion was teammates with Bench, Morgan and Perez under manager Anderson on a club that from 1970-78 went 863-586 (.596) and won five National League West Division titles, four pennants and two World Series championships. The ‘75 and ‘76 Reds combined to go 210-114 (.629) and became the National League’s first franchise in 54 years to win consecutive World Series titles. Concepcion was named team captain in 1973.

With 8,723 at bats in 2,488 games Concepcion ranks second in club history in both categories behind Pete Rose. Since 1900, he ranks among the franchise's all-time leaders in hits (2,326; 3rd), doubles (389; 3rd), stolen bases (321; 3rd), run scored (993; 5th), total bases (3,114; 5th) and RBI (950; 6th).

Concepcion, 58, was a 9-time National League All-Star, fourth-most in club history (Bench 14, Rose 13, Larkin 12), and his 5 Rawlings Gold Glove Awards are second only to Bench's 9 Gold Gloves. He was the Most Valuable Player of the 1982 All-Star Game, 3 times was a The Sporting News All-Star and twice won Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger Awards. He was voted the Reds' MVP in 1981.

"By virtue of his 19-year career with the Reds, a claim to being the best shortstop of his era and his overall place in Reds history, Dave Concepcion richly deserves this honor, one that rightfully is reserved for those very few players whose careers truly represent extraordinary accomplishment," said Greg Rhodes, executive director of the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum.

Concepcion's 13 will be displayed alongside the others below the press box behind home plate at Great American Ball Park. Retired uniform number information begins on page 402 of the media guide.
    Per Trent - Per the Reds

You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Concepcion number 13 to be retired

Congrats to one of my favorite Reds.

Right On!!! Well deserved honor for one of the great shortstops in the history of the game!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Na endlich!

You can see his impact in the Venezuelan shortstops who have worn 13 in his honor.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Huzzah!!!

Very deservedly so. The team honoring it's great tradition is long over due. Congrats Mr. Concepcion.

Woo-hoo!
    Makes all the routine posts.

It was a long time coming but I am very glad it is a reality now.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    It was a long time coming but I am very glad it is a reality now.
    Now if we could just get HOF voters to recognize his greatness and place him in the big hall.

Great news! Unfortunately I can't go to the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I will be in Cincy on July 25 (Reds game) and 26th (Jimmy Buffett). I have to depart on the 27th though.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm in the same boat. My brother and his wife will be visiting from China, big family fest that weekend.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Now if we could just get HOF voters to recognize his greatness and place him in the big hall.

You took the words out of my keyboard. Aside from Ozzie, he was the greatest defensive shortstop of the Astroturf era.

Congrats Davey, you deserve it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

It's about time! He was one of the best I have ever seen and should be in Cooperstown too! Congrats to one of best SS ever to play.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?