Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on sending EE to AAA.

Opinions on sending EE to AAA.

I'm just throwing it out there. I like him and all, but I've been wondering if sending Encarnacion to Louisville would help him or hurt him? He could definitely use some time to clear his head, but would it be detrimental him emotionally at this point in his career?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opinions on sending EE to AAA.

I dont think this would be good for him at this point. All major league hitters go through big time slumps..... he has to learn to get through it.

I think if the Reds had another good option for 3rd base it would be a good idea. Let him go down for 2-3 weeks to get past this rough spot and get his swing fine tuned. I don't think bringing him back up would turn him right back into another slump. But if it did it might be time to consider other long-term options at 3rd base. If he has to work through this slump wouldn't it be better to do that at AAA than up with the Reds? His ineffectiveness is costing us games right now.

The problem is we don't have another good option for 3rd right now.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Ryan Freel at third and Josh Hamilton in Center seems like a decent option to me...Did Edwin not lead the league in hitting during Spring Training? Boggles my mind how these guys just stop doing what they did a week ago or a month ago.

Not saying BB isn't a hard game, 'cause I know it is. But I hate the way we baby these guys. "Oh god will his psyche be messed up if we send him to the minor?"

I say toughen the hell up. If you don't hit, go down and learn it again. Spending a few weeks on buses vs. how you are treated in "The Show" could rekindle his desire a bit. Just ask "Crash" Davis.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If Eddie goes, he needs to take Dave Ross with him.
    sorry we're boring

Just because Jerry Narron doesn't like him doesn't mean we shouldn't like him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I think he needs to stay up.

Going on my totally subjective opinion based on unsubstantiated half-baked interpretation of body language, EE was la-dee-dahing his way along the first week or so of the season.

Narron's yanking from the game for failing to run out the pop-up seems to have gotten his attention. He seems re-focused.

I think his make-up is such that he can struggle his way out of this without drowning.

I knews that BS in Psych would come in good for something.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Just because Jerry Narron doesn't like him doesn't mean we shouldn't like him.
    I honestly don't believe this. I think what he did last year to EdE helped him more than hurt him. Taking him out and making him take grounders for weeks and work on footwork has obviously helped him with his defense. How is letting him (as basically a rookie) continue to make awful throws prove that Jerry Narron "likes him." While taking him out and working with him for weeks and then putting him back in almost every game since prove that he "doesn't like him."
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Don't see him to AAA.. I doubt that will help his attitude at all. It didn't help Kearns at all to do the "tough love" approach.

The best approach would be to just let EdE play everyday and work it out. It seems obvious that Narron forcing him to sit in the corner after every mistake is not working.. That is a horrible way to manage. Now the kid is probably overly self-conscious about making mistakes so he doesn't get yanked out of the game.

Geez, you look at the way the Reds handle their players and you wonder why we end up with so many supposedly "bad seeds" (i.e Lopez, Kearns, LaRue, Aurillia, Dunn, The Galloping Gonad, EdE, etc).. I'm not saying these players are bad, but they've been accused of having bad attitudes. I think the management and workplace they've had to deal with affects their attitude a lot.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Agreed completely Redread. Let Encarnacion work through his slump. It's not the first time he's gotten off to a slow start, and it probably won't be the last. The Reds have faced tough pitching and brutal weather, and nobody else in the lineup with the exception of Hamilton is hitting worth a darn, so Encarnacion has had no protection. He'll be ok. Hopefully his bat can awake sooner rather than later.

If he's doing to land on the bench then yeah send him to AAA to play, if Narron will play him then keep him up.

Play for next year.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I think if the Reds had another good option for 3rd base it would be a good idea....The problem is we don't have another good option for 3rd right now.
    Ryan Freel. This solves the crowded OF problem. Freel and Hamilton have to play somehow. EdE, Griffey, and Dunn need to be worked in. EdE is being paid the least, so I see him as the odd man out.

This, of course, is very hypothetical and idealistic thinking. No way EdE gets sent down. But it's a good idea. If only he had ANY trade value at all...
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Agreed completely Redread. Let Encarnacion work through his slump. It's not the first time he's gotten off to a slow start, and it probably won't be the last. The Reds have faced tough pitching and brutal weather, and nobody else in the lineup with the exception of Hamilton is hitting worth a darn, so Encarnacion has had no protection. He'll be ok. Hopefully his bat can awake sooner rather than later.
    Hamilton shows more plate discipline than just about anyone on the team and due to that he's being successful. I'm sure he'll have his bad times, but if he stays as selective as he has been, they won't last for long.
    Edwin is just plain painful to watch at the plate, he seems lost and takes the term "Free Swinger" to a new level. If he would just look at a few more pitches during an at bat the slump might end.

Leave EE and let him get back into his groove, there are fare bigger concerns on this team now.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Protection? That's actually his job. There aren't any teams that are afraid to pitch to EE right now. He's not in a slump because he can't get anything to hit. He's just in a slump.

I think he should stay up and I don't mind Narron giving him a day off or two every week. He'll still get enough ABs to help him develop. I don't think Narron sits him because he hates him, I think it's just the opposite. This board may not like Narron's philosophy, but I think he thinks EE is pressing too much right now, so he gives him a day off. People talk like Narron's barely using him, he is 4th on the team in PAs. Is he actually sitting that much?

I think his best idea was to move him further down in the order. I hope that when he does get back in the lineup that he'll be 6th or 7th, he seemed to look more comfortable the two games he was down there. And once he's hitting like we expect him to, move him back to the middle of the order.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?