Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Harden being shopped??

Re: Harden being shopped??

Let's say it was Harden for Dunn, would the A's look to throw on Jason Kendall and the $13 million he is being paid this year. The A's other big contracts are Loiza, Kotsay, Chavez, and Piazza.
    Last edited by klw; 05-01-2007 at 04:15 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I'd take Casey, because while he does ground into a few DPs, he gets hits much more frequently, which is what drives runs in.
    Yeah, and that really showed as he produced tons of RBI....

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    When has Oakland ever shown the desire to stomach a $13mill/yr ballplayer?

This would be totally out of character for Billy Beane. Look for him to try to get AAA talent, not 6 or 7 yr veterans. Those are the most expensive players in the game.
    Over the past decade, if there's one thing I've learned it's that NO ONE is more willing to break type and run against his supposed grain than Billy Beane. Far as I can tell, the only question he ever asks himself is "will this help my team?" If the answer is yes, then I'd expect he'd figure out a way to make the money work. Plus, the deal I mentioned is close to even money and Dunn's 2008 team option disappears if he's traded. Meanwhile, Kotsay costs roughly $10M in 2008.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Ha, this is just how Beane informs the Yankees that he's open for business, he makes sure a reporter finds out he talked to the Red Sox.
    I wonder if it would work for the Reds.

Wayne: "I was just talking to Theo and he said the Red Sox would really like to have Eric Milton. Said they'd need veteran starters and don't think Papelbon will succeed in making the switch to starter."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

jdoncbus

Reds are pretty loaded at C (see David Ross' contract).....unless Kendall is playing somewhere else these days.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Meanwhile, Kotsay costs roughly $10M in 2008.
    MLB4U shows $7M in 2008, plus a 325K relocation bonus if traded in 2007 or 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by jdoncbus View Post
    Over the past 3 seasons Berkman also hits .315 with RISP (compared to Dunn's .236) with 65 K's.

Ortiz hits .331 with RISP with 88 K's (including 24 HRs).
    Thanks for the bait and switch. You said Dunn hit a particularly low percentage of homers w/ RISP. You were wrong. BTW, he hit 33 HR w/ RISP over the past three seasons, which would be more than Papi did (or Berkman, 25). Those other two guys are better offensive players than Dunn. I doubt anyone would tell you otherwise, but that doesn't mean you need to invent fictional reasons to bash him.

[QUOTE]
    QUOTE]
    Jason Kendall is at 13mil plus this year and that money is coming off their books at the end of the season. It looks like the Pirates are paying $5 mil of that this year.
    http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php...41129125715999

[quote=klw;1325991]
    QUOTE]

Jason Kendall is at 13mil plus this year and that money is coming off their books at the end of the season. It looks like the Pirates are paying $5 mil of that this year.
    http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php...41129125715999
    Chavez is their highest paid player when you look at what the A's are paying. He's making 9M in 2007 and is due 11M in 2008, 11M in 2009 and 12M in 2010.

Just to explode everyone's head.

Would you do?

Adam Dunn
    EE

for
    Eric Chavez http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7189564
    R Harden
    Last edited by klw; 05-01-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Just to explode everyone's head.

Would you do?

Adam Dunn
    EE

for
    Eric Chavez http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...contract_x.htm
    R Harden

One of the big problems I see with this it would make the Reds even more LH.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It should end up the same. Right now there are four lefties in the lineup against RHP - Hat, Dunn, Hamilton, Junior. There would still be four with this trade - Hat, Chavez, Hamilton, Junior. Freel would be an everyday player again.
    Last edited by BRM; 05-01-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I don't know...I'd think getting hits more often would get you more RBI.
    Only problem is, it doesn't. It's not a matter for debate. This is as solid as four balls equals a walk. Guys who get a lot of hits, but don't have much power attached to it are lousy at driving in runs. It's why Ichiro doesn't hit cleanup. Guys who have low BAs, but lots of power are pretty good at driving runs.

Obviously you'd like both (e.g. Albert Pujols), but RBIs correlate to SLG. They don't track to BA at all. In fact, I'm relatively sure you'd find that players with high K totals (120+) do better in the RBI department than guys with hig BAs (.300+). That's how weak the relationship between BA and RBIs is.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Yankees Dynasty Rule #1 - You can never be too left-handed.

Though the deal wouldn't work because the Reds couldn't afford it, because Beane highly values Chavez's glove and because the A's would surely want an arm back who could pitch in their rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It should end up the same. Right now there are four lefties in the lineup against RHP - Hat, Dunn, Hamilton, Junior. There would still be four with this trade - Hat, Chavez, Hamilton, Junior. Freel would be an everyday player again.

yeah, but they'd be losing power from the RH side which they sorely need.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?