Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freel's OBP is seventh on team at .327

Freel's OBP is seventh on team at .327

I know it's early but he seems to swing at any fastball, especially in tight and is prone to swinging at the first pitch, good or bad. Anybody know or understand why he doesn't work the count? He seemed to do a better job last year although I haven't looked up the stats. Narron has been called a players' manager. Does that definition include that he's reluctant to give the players specific roles and expect them to accomplish them? I would hope not.
    Last edited by demas863; 05-03-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammer

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freel's OBP is seventh on team at .327

Freel is an every day player (not just for a stretch to cover injuries) for essentially the first time in his career. It has been noted in the past that his performance tails off when he plays too much.

Oh, it's been noted that he's "not an everyday player," but not correctly.

Still, it's probably not a bad idea to trade him for some relief.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Freel is the most undiciplined baseball player I have seen play the game in a while. He just doesn't get the little things that make a baseball player a good baseball player. With Freel's speed and ability he should be a much better player than he is. When Dunn has one more stolen base in three less attempts you have to realize that something isnt right. He has a tendency to swing at too many first pitches and bad pitches. Watching him bat is so frustrating some times because you just want Narron to give him the take sign from time to time. But Freel with an OBP of .327 a stolen base rate of right around .500 doesn't help this team out much.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Oh, it's been noted that he's "not an everyday player," but not correctly.

Still, it's probably not a bad idea to trade him for some relief.
    I think Freel provides tremendous value to this team. The relief brought in would have to provide equivalent value for a trade to be worthwhile, something I don't view as possible in the current pitching market.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Freel is the most undiciplined baseball player I have seen play the game in a while. He just doesn't get the little things that make a baseball player a good baseball player. With Freel's speed and ability he should be a much better player than he is. When Dunn has one more stolen base in three less attempts you have to realize that something isnt right. He has a tendency to swing at too many first pitches and bad pitches. Watching him bat is so frustrating some times because you just want Narron to give him the take sign from time to time. But Freel with an OBP of .327 a stolen base rate of right around .500 doesn't help this team out much.
    I agree his current form doesn't help the team...I just don't see it as a long term problem. If he continues this way, then it is. I do agree that he is insanely undisciplined. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching Kamikaze # 6 in action.

If there's one thing about Freel you can count on, it's his consistency in hitting.

Don't worry about him.

At the end of the year, his numbers will be the same they were last year, the year before that, and the year before that.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

.273; .365; .379

That's what Freel has averaged in his career for AVG, OBP, and SLG, and at the end of this year, he'll be within 5 points of avg, 10 points of OBP, and 20 points of SLG.

You can bet the farm on it.

And a guy with his speed and his lifetime stolen base percentage, he's a perfect player to lead off as many games as you can get him to lead off.

Even with an OBP of .355 he's an outstanding weapon as a leadoff hitter.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 05-03-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    If there's one thing about Freel you can count on, it's his consistency in hitting.

Don't worry about him.

At the end of the year, his numbers will be the same they were last year, the year before that, and the year before that.

His last three years:

AVG OB

.277 .375
    .271 .371
    .271 .363

I agree his current form doesn't help the team...I just don't see it as a long term problem. If he continues this way, then it is. I do agree that he is insanely undisciplined. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching Kamikaze # 6 in action.
    Here is what I compare Freel to. He is like a basketball player going one on two on a fast break and jacking up a three. The kind of shot where you say the only time that is a good shot is when it goes in. Freel has the ability to create a run just by getting to first base. There was a game this year when he walked, stole second, went to third on the catcher's throwing error, and scored on a wild pitch that was barely out of the catcher's sight. Those kind of results are great but the laws of average are against Freel. Its disheartening to see a guy with as much speed as Freel strike out more than he walks, has a ok OBP and whose stolen base rate is poor. I want to see Freel successful because I think he is very valuable to this team but with him its almost like when he is on he is very valuable but when he is not he is almost worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post

His last three years:

AVG OB

.277 .375
    .271 .371
    .271 .363
    Pitches per AB:
    2004: 4.0
    2005: 4.1
    2006: 4.1
    2007: 4.0
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I want to see Freel successful because I think he is very valuable to this team but with him its almost like when he is on he is very valuable but when he is not he is almost worthless.
    I don't want to believe it but those few words sure say a lot.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Freel's yearly numbers may be "consistent", but his play has been everything but. VERY streaky (look at his monthly OPS). Currently in a 5 for 34 slump.

Fast runner. Poor baserunner (pickoffs...goes for extra base when not necessary, etc.).

And he's AWFUL with RISP. Being a leadoff hitter doesn't you're always leading off. A leadoff hitter will frequently hit with a man on second and one or two outs (after the pitcher bunts).

In that situation, Freel is 24 for 93 over the past three years (ESPN doesn't give me more) with GET THIS...10 RBI. So over half the times he gets a hit with a runner on second, the guy can't score!

Freel can hardly hit the ball out of the infield and rarely hits a line drive.

Now at 32, I'd expect him to start declining, and I seriously doubt that those consistent numbers are not going to continue.

A lot of REDS pine for the second coming of Pete Rose. Sorry...Freel ain't it.
    We're stuck with him (most likely starting) for another 3 years (through 2009, when he'll be 35). Personally, I'm less than thrilled.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    .273; .365; .379

That's what Freel has averaged in his career for AVG, OBP, and SLG, and at the end of this year, he'll be within 5 points of avg, 10 points of OBP, and 20 points of SLG.

You can bet the farm on it.

And a guy with his speed and his lifetime stolen base percentage, he's a perfect player to lead off as many games as you can get him to lead off.

Even with an OBP of .355 he's an outstanding weapon as a leadoff hitter.
    Again you have to figure in pick offs. It's not a help.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

It also should be considered that when Freel is on base he can single handedly manufacture runs. He puts pressure on the defense and causes them to make bad mistakes. I think his speed also causes the pitcher to make bad pitches while he is on base.

Turn Off Ads?