Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: May 2nd Minor League Updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: May 2nd Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Vander Wood View Post
    Geronimo's change is a circle change and acts like a curve especially when he really turns it over. It has a nice break to it and really buckled the T-Rats hitter's knees. For what it's worth, I did blow that one (and probably a few others this afternoon). But you're right for point that out. At the beginning of the season, weasked all of our pitchers in Dayton what they throw and he did not mention a curve ball. Good catch and thanks for tuning in.

MVW
    Not sure if you will even check this back out, but I was wondering if his change just had that action as a few I have seen seem to act that way. But you do a great job with calling the games for the Dragons. Easily the best radio guy of the Reds farm system teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Geronimo's change is a circle change and acts like a curve especially when he really turns it over. It has a nice break to it and really buckled the T-Rats hitter's knees. For what it's worth, I did blow that one (and probably a few others this afternoon). But you're right for pointing that out. At the beginning of the season, we asked all of our pitchers in Dayton what they throw and he did not mention a curve ball. Good catch and thanks for tuning in.

MVW
    Had a question about Watson, what are all his pitches and would you agree that his fast ball and his knucle-curve come in on about the same plane which maybe the reason for the high K total? Basically whats your take on Watson?

vanderwood, do u know how hard daryl thompson is throwing?

Welcome to the board Mike, love the way you call a game. It will be nice to have a few more eye witness accounts of the Dragons.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Had a question about Watson, what are all his pitches and would you agree that his fast ball and his knucle-curve come in on about the same plane which maybe the reason for the high K total? Basically whats your take on Watson?
    I am working on something that will interest you in answering this question. I am going to put two video clips next to eachother that will be in slow mo of both his fastball and his knuckle curve so show what tehy each look like. hopefully I get a little bit more free time to mess with it before this weekend comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    vanderwood, do u know how hard daryl thompson is throwing?
    Scouting report from Elmer Fudd: "Vewy, Vewy, hawd"
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Holy crap it's Mike Vanderwood! I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am working on something that will interest you in answering this question. I am going to put two video clips next to eachother that will be in slow mo of both his fastball and his knuckle curve so show what tehy each look like. hopefully I get a little bit more free time to mess with it before this weekend comes around.
    kewl, great job as usual doug

Vander Wood

I appreciate the nice welcome for everyone. Not sure how often I'll get the chance to look in here but I'll try to poke my head in from time to time. I had a laptop that died on me during our last trip so I finally got back to a computer.

Sean Watson

I like the fact he's in great shape, that has helped him a ton. I think he's one of those cases where you can't take what he does his firs season too seriously. While it doesn't happen at every college, a lot of college guys just get abused with the number of innings they throw and how many days they work. I think that's what Sean ran into a little bit last year. He's been pitching to spots so far and has been impressive. I don't think there is anyone he'll face as a hitter this year that has seen a knuckle curve before so that will give him a real edge. It does come in like the fast ball (similar plane) and he throws in with the same motion and once it gets near the plate does all kinds of crazy things. It's a fun pitch to watch.

Daryl Thompson

I think he has been anywhere from 89-93, generally sitting at about 91-92. This kid can pitch. So far he is hitting his spots and changing speeds very well. They key for him (and anyone) is throwing his three pitches for strikes and the fact he can go from a 91 MPH fast ball to a mid 70's curve or change up. Really makes th fastball look that much better.

Thanks again for the nice words and for tuning in. Nice to know it's more than just my parents and my wife listening.

Thanks again for the nice words and for tuning in. Nice to know it's more than just my parents and my wife listening.
    That's cool Mike. I was laughing at you trying to keep all the Wisconsin errors straight the other day.

Also, you might notice there's a major divide between Redszone posters who think Drew Stubbs won't amount to a hill of beans.......and the rest of us who think he will. Anything you can add on his development would be gravy for us.

Thanks Mike for the analysis, you do a great job. I try to listen when I can, youre very very professional. Keep up the good work, I think everything about the Dayton Dragons is high class, Ive been to around a half dozen games and its worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Also, you might notice there's a major divide between Redszone posters who think Drew Stubbs won't amount to a hill of beans.......and the rest of us who think he will. Anything you can add on his development would be gravy for us.
    I think you are confusing "won't" with "hasn't".

He could become a superstar. Right now he's a meh player that gets attention because of the round he was chosen.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

thanks alot mike!

Turn Off Ads?