Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stealing Home

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Stealing Home

I was just perusing box scores and noticed that Bill Hall stole home in the Brewers' game today.

How common, or uncommon is that these days? I know I've never actually seen it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stealing Home

Willie Mays Hayes could do it.
    Most Vottomatic Player

chico ruiz was the best

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I was just perusing box scores and noticed that Bill Hall stole home in the Brewers' game today.

How common, or uncommon is that these days? I know I've never actually seen it.

It's never been common. Ty Cobb did it about 25 times in his career. Rod Carew did it about 15, most of which while Billy Martin was mangaging the Twins. A lot are done with a double steal. I remember a few years ago Corky Miller was on 3rd for the Reds and another runner was on 1st and the pitcher threw over to 1st and when he did that, Corky stole home. I think he said he couldn't have done it with a lefty 1st baseman since when the RH 1st baseman caught the ball and tried to tag the runner coming back to 1st he turned his body away from the plate.

It's an exciting play but pretty risky, especially if it's a straight steal. Plus pitchers hold runners at 3rd more than they used to.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Zoinks!

I was at a game when Deion Sanders stole home. He jumped over the catcher. Great play.

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    I was at a game when Deion Sanders stole home. He jumped over the catcher. Great play.

How did he get on base? Pinch runner?

Jeff Branson stole home in Game 2 of the 1995 NLCS.

Pay attention to the open sky

Jackie Robinson was one of the best at it. Seems to me the hardest part is the mental aspect of avoiding the (usual) RH hitter in the batter's box. What if he takes a big cut?

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    How did he get on base? Pinch runner?
    Yeah, he was fun to watch on base but getting there..........that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    Yeah, he was fun to watch on base but getting there..........that's another story.

And you know his story.

I believe Pete Rose did it a number of times in his career.

I was at a game when Michael Tucker did it. I believe it was in 2000 against the Dodgers, and Tucker had just stolen second, and third base. I was sitting right behind the visitors dugout (friends season tickets). And I yelled out to Tucker "HELL JUST STEAL HOME TOO!!". The next batter walked and the pitcher kept making throws over to first to hold the runner on when Tucker took off on one of the pick off throws to first. It was a beautiful thing to have seen.

I like to think that in my drunken state I gave him the idea.

Here's piece on the lost art of stealing home from Baseball Digest a few years back.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...61/ai_88575170

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Only stole on a technicality. Corey Hart got caught leaning and the pitcher attempted a pick off and Hart ran towards 2nd. He got tagged out, but somehow the ump missed it and Hall ran home as Eckstein was jogging off the field thinking they got the 3rd out.

Turn Off Ads?