Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: God, I hate my job

  1. #1
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,579

    God, I hate my job

    Its currently 4:15am here at a popular copy place which shall remain nameless. I am all by myself, and have been since 10PM, and I have been bombarded with total morons who need the world printed out "NOW". I have just sat down to eat. I haven't even really started the work I need to for tommorrow. Its a frustraiting night. They're all like this and I wonder "Is it worth it to go to a job that I hate, and am berated by half-wits asking why their colors arent perfect. Is it worth it to have your manager to constantly ask you to move to 2nd shift because it 'would really help him out' even though i would lose a dollar an hour? Is it worth stressing over getting 5000 copies of Aunt Martha's Apple Brown Betty recipe in time for the big picnic? Is it worth it to drag myself away from the reds game to put on a stupid uniform with an apron and drive accross town to get to a job that i just dont like?

    When I come home from a terrible night, my son who is 19 months runs to the screen door when I open the gate to let my car in the driveway, and in his simplest, sweetest words presses his nose agaist the glass underneath the screen and soflty yelps "Dada!"

    Its then when I know. Yeah, its worth it. No matter how hard it is, its worth it knowing I'm providing for my family and being a good husband and father. It will be well worth it when I get a job (hopefully as a Columbus Police Officer) that will allow us to live a more stable living, to remember how it was to live in want and to give to others who are in lean times.

    So I hate my job, but I love my life.
    Witty signature.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,599

    Re: God, I hate my job

    I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but every person who comes in there when you're tired or discouraged is a blessing.

    If you can learn to deal with them with love and kindness in your heart, regardless of how aggravating they may be, you'll be building strength and courage in your own personal experience.

    You want to be a policeman. You'll have to deal with situations that most of us can't imagine. Use your current travails as training for your road ahead. Learning to deal with the public takes time and experience.

    I referred to Castenada on another thread recently. I'm going to again here. It's the concept of a "petty tyrant".

    Instead of succumbing to the obvious approach of hating these people who come and go in your life, see them as a blessing. Only you can control your reaction to their demands or actions. If you can see them as an opportunity to grow, a challenge to deal with them with love, you'll be made infinitely stronger. It doesn't take a strong man to be disgusted with them for their petty ways and actions. It takes a strong man to overlook their actions and conduct yourself with love and respect for all people, no matter what their station in life. That's true strength.

    Every time someone behaves badly towards you is an opportunity to grow stronger with your response. Or to grow weaker and sink into the terrible morass of hate and resentment. The choice is all yours. You can't give them power over your moods.

    And the reward is just as you said it. Knowing that you are loved and are taking care of your family. And knowing that the examples you set in living your life will be noticed and emulated by your son and your family and everyone who comes in contact with you.

    A petty tyrant can be a blessing, or a curse. How you perceive it is all up to you.

    I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  4. #3
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: God, I hate my job

    Well said. Words that can be taken to heart by all of us. Thanks, RFS62. I needed that!
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  5. #4
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: God, I hate my job

    I have been in jobs I didn't like and now that I have a career that is satisfying I look back on all of it an understand that there's something to be learned in every one of them. You will get there one day, too.

    As for your current situation- being in a customer service position can be very stressful and I empathize with you. It's easy to feel like you die a little bit with every crappy customer. They never say thanks, they think you are their servant, they are stupid. All of these things are basically true about everyone at certain times. Me, you, them- we're all pretty dumb and our enormously important problems really are about as unimportant as they come in the grand scheme of things. Serving these people without developing a hate for them is tricky, but it is possible because none of their problems have anything to do with you personally. You have solutions, I am sure you know your job and you are there to do what you can within certain limits to get them what they need. Knowing that, and keeping your focus on the fact that you are doing everything you can to give these people the best possible service should allow you to keep from disdaining every minute you spend with them.

    Ultimately, I find that it boils down to attitude. If I decide to make every customer happy and if I challenge myself to turn every crappy transaction into a success story, then it translates into a more enjoyable experience for me and for them. It is tough...but I'm pretty good at it after all these years.

    Now, about working a later shift for less money- I believe you have every right to tell your boss that working the less desirable shifts ought to be worth something.

    Good luck.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  6. #5
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,381

    Re: God, I hate my job

    "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." - Drew Carey

    It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

  7. #6
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,478

    Re: God, I hate my job

    I have been exactly where you are, in exactly the same city with pretty much the same circumstances. As RFS62 said, "light a candle" and you will make your part of teh world a little better. In the end, I grew more from my two years with lousy jobs and no money than from anything I've done in my life. No matter where fate takes you, this period will strengthen your ability to succeed and be happy.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mobile, Al.
    Posts
    291

    Re: God, I hate my job

    I agree with RFS62 in principle and, in fact, my company based their ideals on those very same ideas.

    I will say, at least from the sound of it, that RFS62 does not work in the retail or retail service industry. I don't think I had any idea how evil, petty and selfish people can be until I began working in a bank. It's not so easy to slough things off when people spit at you, throw things at you, cuss you out and threaten to get you fired on a daily basis. I work in grocery now, which is far better, but still has some moments where you ask, "How could someone treat a perfect stranger this way and not feel any guilt, shame or sympathy?" On top of that, they would never act that way towards someone in most other situations. Well the answer is that they generally see you as less than human.

    So, I like what you are saying RSF62, but it's a lot easier to put into practice in some fields more than others.

  9. #8
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,599

    Re: God, I hate my job

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I agree with RFS62 in principle and, in fact, my company based their ideals on those very same ideas.

    I will say, at least from the sound of it, that RFS62 does not work in the retail or retail service industry. I don't think I had any idea how evil, petty and selfish people can be until I began working in a bank. It's not so easy to slough things off when people spit at you, throw things at you, cuss you out and threaten to get you fired on a daily basis. I work in grocery now, which is far better, but still has some moments where you ask, "How could someone treat a perfect stranger this way and not feel any guilt, shame or sympathy?" On top of that, they would never act that way towards someone in most other situations. Well the answer is that they generally see you as less than human.

    So, I like what you are saying RSF62, but it's a lot easier to put into practice in some fields more than others.

    Yep, no doubt some jobs are harder than others. My family was in retail, we had a small country store as I was growing up. In my current profession, I come across people who are in all different kinds of stress.

    If you allow a hateful and petty person to bring you down to their level, they win and you lose. I refuse to give that kind of power over my moods to a stranger. Maybe you could look at it as a competition, if that helps you wrap your mind around it. You hate, you lose.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  10. #9
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,464

    Re: God, I hate my job

    Good stuff, '62.

    “If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.” That's Biblical or something.

    For a more proximate reference, the Nordstrom's model of customer service is something we could all use from time to time.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  11. #10
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: God, I hate my job

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but every person who comes in there when you're tired or discouraged is a blessing.

    If you can learn to deal with them with love and kindness in your heart, regardless of how aggravating they may be, you'll be building strength and courage in your own personal experience.

    You want to be a policeman. You'll have to deal with situations that most of us can't imagine. Use your current travails as training for your road ahead. Learning to deal with the public takes time and experience.

    I referred to Castenada on another thread recently. I'm going to again here. It's the concept of a "petty tyrant".

    Instead of succumbing to the obvious approach of hating these people who come and go in your life, see them as a blessing. Only you can control your reaction to their demands or actions. If you can see them as an opportunity to grow, a challenge to deal with them with love, you'll be made infinitely stronger. It doesn't take a strong man to be disgusted with them for their petty ways and actions. It takes a strong man to overlook their actions and conduct yourself with love and respect for all people, no matter what their station in life. That's true strength.

    Every time someone behaves badly towards you is an opportunity to grow stronger with your response. Or to grow weaker and sink into the terrible morass of hate and resentment. The choice is all yours. You can't give them power over your moods.

    And the reward is just as you said it. Knowing that you are loved and are taking care of your family. And knowing that the examples you set in living your life will be noticed and emulated by your son and your family and everyone who comes in contact with you.

    A petty tyrant can be a blessing, or a curse. How you perceive it is all up to you.

    I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness.
    When you've lived for over 100 years, advice is easy to dispense, o' wise one.





    :gettingoffthelawn:
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  12. #11
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: God, I hate my job

    Sonny, as long as the job is going to be short term, you can gut it out. RFS gave some sage advice.

    I hope you know when you plan to attend the Police Academy. If so, you have a goal and know how long it will be before you hit the road for something you really want and it makes it a bit easier to grind it out.

    If, however, you do NOT know when you might be entering the Academy, is it possible this short term job could turn into a long term occupation? If so, you really need to try to find something else for the interim.

    I know it's no picnic to show up for a job you hate day in and day out. In fact, it's miserable because you spend a lot of time there. It often contributes to making a lot of things in your life more stressful than they normally would be.

    So, if the long term is a store-who-shall-not-be-named, fix it as fast as possible.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  13. #12
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,334

    Re: God, I hate my job

    I started my own business in September. And let me tell you, it's been a real learning experience.

    Take all of those customers who give you grief at your job. Ultimately, in your current role, your employer is responsible for them. They won't sue YOU. They won't take their business from YOU per se. Now, imagine it's just you alone on that island with them....... it's been harder than I thought.

    However, there are some clear advantages. It's 10:26 a.m. right now on a Thursday and I'm still in my boxers because I make the schedule, and my only appointment for the day isn't until 1:00 p.m. That's kind of nice

  14. #13
    You know his story Redsland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    7,714

    Re: God, I hate my job

    Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    It's 10:26 a.m. right now on a Thursday and I'm still in my boxers because I make the schedule, and my only appointment for the day isn't until 1:00 p.m.
    What do you wear on casual Friday?

    Makes all the routine posts.

  15. #14
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,334

    Re: God, I hate my job

    BTW, if the place you work at is the same one I've dealt with, I can tell you that they have some of the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. I have had this experience with their branches in two different cities, so I don't think it's just related to one outlet.

    As a matter of fact, a few of my ex coworkers and I started going out of our way to avoid these chains because it became so frustrating.

  16. #15
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,334

    Re: God, I hate my job

    What do you wear on casual Friday?
    Wouldn't you like to know.........




Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25