Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: God, I hate my job

Re: God, I hate my job

Kinko's ...... I'll say it for you guys.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I agree with RFS62 in principle and, in fact, my company based their ideals on those very same ideas.

I will say, at least from the sound of it, that RFS62 does not work in the retail or retail service industry. I don't think I had any idea how evil, petty and selfish people can be until I began working in a bank. It's not so easy to slough things off when people spit at you, throw things at you, cuss you out and threaten to get you fired on a daily basis. I work in grocery now, which is far better, but still has some moments where you ask, "How could someone treat a perfect stranger this way and not feel any guilt, shame or sympathy?" On top of that, they would never act that way towards someone in most other situations. Well the answer is that they generally see you as less than human.

So, I like what you are saying RSF62, but it's a lot easier to put into practice in some fields more than others.
    I worked in retail for most of my life and my wife manages a retail store. We've both had run ins with rude customers but neither of us of have had anything thrown at us or been spit on, those are things you don't slough off.

If one of my employees was having customers cuss at him and threaten to get him fired on a daily basis, I'd be worried about what that employee was doing to cause that. Because it shouldn't happen very often. Customers being rude, sure, that's probably a daily occurrence, but cussing you out and threatening your job, if that's happening more than once or twice a month you may have a problem handling rude customers. IMHO
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Kinko's ...... I'll say it for you guys.
    That's FedEx Kinko's
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I worked in retail for most of my life and my wife manages a retail store. We've both had run ins with rude customers but neither of us of have had anything thrown at us or been spit on, those are things you don't slough off.

If one of my employees was having customers cuss at him and threaten to get him fired on a daily basis, I'd be worried about what that employee was doing to cause that. Because it shouldn't happen very often. Customers being rude, sure, that's probably a daily occurrence, but cussing you out and threatening your job, if that's happening more than once or twice a month you may have a problem handling rude customers. IMHO
    Banking is a lot different than retail in that way. Try telling some one that they can't have their money because they don't have proper ID. Try telling someone they can't have immediate access to money they deposit in the bank. Tell someone they can't cash a check because they showed up 10 minutes after closing on a Friday. Or that they owe money because they have overdrawn their account. Try telling a business owner that they were $300 short in their night deposit.

Believe me, it ain't pretty. When you invlove people's money, add frustration, embarrassment and a host of other anxieties, the results are UGLY. I mean you can feel the anger and hatred coming off of people like 5 alarm fire. And those are the times when you do everything right. Imagine what happens when you make a simple mistake.

I still see a guy from time to time that is convinced I shorted him $100. I swear he would deck me and kick me while I am down if he could get away with it.

BTW, I was generally considered excellent at customer service, though I had my moments where I had enough.
    And I receive top marks for customer service in my grocery job now.
    Last edited by BoxingRed; 05-03-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    Banking is a lot different than retail in that way. Try telling some one that they can't have their money because they don't have proper ID. Try telling someone they can't have immediate access to money they deposit in the bank. Tell someone they can't cash a check because they showed up 10 minutes after closing on a Friday. Or that they owe money because they have overdrawn their account. Try telling a business owner that they were $300 short in their night deposit.

Believe me, it ain't pretty. When you invlove people's money, add frustration, embarrassment and a host of other anxieties, the results are UGLY. I mean you can feel the anger and hatred coming off of people like 5 alarm fire. And those are the times when you do everything right. Imagine what happens when you make a simple mistake.

I still see a guy from time to time that is convinced I shorted him $100. I swear he would deck me and kick me while I am down if he could get away with it.

BTW, I was generally considered excellent at customer service, though I had my moments where I had enough.
    And I receive top marks for customer service in my grocery job now.
    I worked at a bank while I was in college. Maybe the one I worked at was different.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Good stuff, '62.

“If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.” That's Biblical or something.

For a more proximate reference, the Nordstrom's model of customer service is something we could all use from time to time.
    I prefer the "Pop Copy" model of Customer Service, myself.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but every person who comes in there when you're tired or discouraged is a blessing.

If you can learn to deal with them with love and kindness in your heart, regardless of how aggravating they may be, you'll be building strength and courage in your own personal experience.

You want to be a policeman. You'll have to deal with situations that most of us can't imagine. Use your current travails as training for your road ahead. Learning to deal with the public takes time and experience.

I referred to Castenada on another thread recently. I'm going to again here. It's the concept of a "petty tyrant".

Instead of succumbing to the obvious approach of hating these people who come and go in your life, see them as a blessing. Only you can control your reaction to their demands or actions. If you can see them as an opportunity to grow, a challenge to deal with them with love, you'll be made infinitely stronger. It doesn't take a strong man to be disgusted with them for their petty ways and actions. It takes a strong man to overlook their actions and conduct yourself with love and respect for all people, no matter what their station in life. That's true strength.

Every time someone behaves badly towards you is an opportunity to grow stronger with your response. Or to grow weaker and sink into the terrible morass of hate and resentment. The choice is all yours. You can't give them power over your moods.

And the reward is just as you said it. Knowing that you are loved and are taking care of your family. And knowing that the examples you set in living your life will be noticed and emulated by your son and your family and everyone who comes in contact with you.

A petty tyrant can be a blessing, or a curse. How you perceive it is all up to you.

I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness.
    RFS you never cease to amaze me. If I ever get to heaven (long shot) I will be putting your name on my resume I hand to St. Peter.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    If you allow a hateful and petty person to bring you down to their level, they win and you lose.

But if you give that hateful and petty person a good ass-kickin' do you still lose?

Or do you win?

Can we call it a tie?

Stick to your guns.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I worked in retail years ago and got sick and tired of dealing with the public. I think everyone should have to work a stint at a retail place and a fast food restaurant and then folks would have more appreciation for people who work in those places. I'm an independent contractor now and I thoroughly love what I do. I don't think I'll ever go back to being an employee. I guess I'm lucky.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Thanks for all your kind words guys (and gals).

I wrote that in a real boiling point last night. I was in a bad spot in my own mind and I appreciate all your guy's support and wisdom. It actually got worse for me after my lunch break, but when I pulled into my driveway, there was my boy wanting a hug.

I feel better tonight. I got my head on straight before I walked in here at Kink..... I mean, the store, and prayed heavily before I came in. I know this is short term. I don't know when Im going into the Academy, could be this year, next or maybe even never. But I can always learn from these situations and show character in stressful times. Even God loves Douchbags, right?
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?