Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run in with a Cubs fan

Run in with a Cubs fan

So I am in Lafayette, Indiana which is about half the distance between Indy and Chicago for the geographically challenged. I go to the hotel bar for a lite dinner before I retreat back to my room, laptop and the soothing sounds of Reds on Radio over the internet (and of course, chat).

On cashing out my bill I said something to the bartender about, "gotta go catch the Reds game". The other bartender then blurts out, "You know this is Cubs country don't you?" I'm thinking to myself, "Isn't this Boilermakers country???" While I'm contemplating how fun this conversation is going to be he then followed with, sorry to hear about the Reds. double

So I politey, and somewhat casually, said, "sorry to hear about Prior and Wood.....again". "Yea", he grunted, "those guys are always out. We ought to just release them". And then he follows it up with, "Dunn still striking out every at bat".

So then, pretty torked, I parried with, "All that money for Sorriano, think he'll produce when he's 38?".

At this point he sorta backed off. This is a bartender and I am the customer but I guess being a Cubs fan he felt obligated to be a jerk. (shrug) [shrug, copyright Remdog, 2007. In Angus We Rock]
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Run in with a Cubs fan

That's the same kind of guy that will be dropping F-bombs in the men's room line the next time the Cubs are in town. I love taking my kids to Reds-Cubs games at GABP, they always learn new words for the ride home.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I'm leaving for the Bay area in a few hours. I usually get similar comments about the Dodgers (even though I'm not a Dodger fan) or I get someone telling me what a great player Barry Bonds is. (Famous shrug) Goes with the territory (literally and figuratively).

Rem

Always ask Cub fans about 1908, that seems to shut them up
    Go Gators!

We ran into a handful of mouthy Cubs fans (is that redundant?) in a bar a couple years when they beat us pretty good on Opening Day. One of the guys spouted off with, "Free drinks for Cubs fans when the Cubs win, right?" I said, "Yup, about once every hundred years."

Not sure how clever and pithy that was but it did shut him up.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Also, you can easily mock the "Lets Go Cubbies!" chant they always do with "Nineteen Oh Eight!"...same cadence and everything.

Wonder if they're planning a centennial celebration next year to mark the event?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Even better ask about the set lineup of Durocher in 69 and that big September lead that vanished.

Boiler up!

I went to Purdue and had many run-ins such as this while I was there. Especially during their run in the playoffs a few years ago. Everyone there magically turned into a diehard fan. This was even though most of them couldn't name half their team.

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

The Chicago Cubs: the favorite team of people who don't follow baseball.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Of course, you could give them the "true" Cubs fan test: ask them for the full name of their best pitcher in '08 (even spot them the "Brown"), then the name of their famous double play combination - first names inclusive.
    Chances are, they will have no answers.
    "If you were a real Cubs fan, you would know that kind of stuff."

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The Chicago Cubs: the favorite team of people who don't follow baseball.

I don't know, for sure it used to be that way. But the Red Sox hat is becoming awfully trendy and there are a lot of girls around campus who are Yankees' fans. I was actually surprised to not see too many Cubs' hats around campus.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    The treatment the idiot Cub fans gave this guy says it all.

I wonder whatever happened to him?? Last I heard he was voluntarily run out of Chicago.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The treatment the idiot Cub fans gave this guy says it all.

I wonder whatever happened to him?? Last I heard he was voluntarily run out of Chicago.

How can you be voluntarily ran out of somewhere?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    How can you be voluntarily ran out of somewhere?
    Um ...Its kinda like if you dont leave we will make it to where you want to leave.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?