Turn Off Ads?

Thread: NL RF Article from ESPNs Crasnick.

NL RF Article from ESPNs Crasnick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...rry&id=2857144

4. Austin Kearns, Nationals

Kearns, 26, has yet to fulfill the expectations generated when Cincinnati picked him in the first round of the 1998 draft. Injuries and weight problems contributed to his overall lack of production with the Reds. Then GM Wayne Krivsky traded him to Washington, and Kearns was in a funk because he missed his buddy Adam Dunn.

Kearns generates more impassioned argument than any player on this list. Some talent evaluators remain intrigued by Kearns and think he's still a candidate to bust out. The analysts at Baseball Prospectus regard Kearns as a modern-day Dwight Evans, albeit with less of a throwing arm.

Kearns' detractors, conversely, dismiss him as a tease and a moody player. One executive called him "very overrated," while another observed, "Every time I see him, I think of the word 'underachiever.' "

On the plus side, Kearns is a fundamentally sound outfielder who takes good routes to the ball and habitually throws to the right base. You won't find him jogging out ground balls, either. But as a hitter, he has a long swing and can be vulnerable to off-speed stuff and pitches in on the hands.

Kearns is signed to a three-year, $17.5 million contract with a $10 million club option for 2010. At that point, the Nationals will either have to let him walk or commit to him as a long-term building block.
    Very over rated. Interesting. Discuss.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NL RF Article from ESPNs Crasnick.

On the plus side, Kearns is a fundamentally sound outfielder who takes good routes to the ball and habitually throws to the right base. You won't find him jogging out ground balls, either. But as a hitter, he has a long swing and can be vulnerable to off-speed stuff and pitches in on the hands.
    Veiled jab at the outfielders WK kept?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Senor Votto

I wouldn't say Kearns is that good. I do like him though. But he shouldn't be 4th on that list.

This is an NL only list and RFers under 30 as well.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

That's a goofy list....isolated only on 23-38 year olds. Still 4th...and highest paid?
    Home and road splits almost identical...excepting HR's, he has none on the road.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Wow, Jeff Francouer? He makes a lot of outs. But I guess like he said maybe he can become more patient at the plate as he matures. We'll see.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?